FA Cup 4th Round - Man City [H] - Friday 26 Jan 20:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m not going to complain much about the goal being allowed because I’m a supporter of refs actually abiding by the “clear and obvious” standard and I didn’t think that was clear and obvious enough to call back.

But I will say that if Romero had been Dias and Udogie tapped it in down on the other side, I’d bet on it being ruled out.

The first half an hour was frantic, and full credit to our lads for keeping them out for so long. Such a shame we couldn't have stretched them a bit more, by releasing the ball to the wings when goods runs into space were being made. As much as it galls me to say, City's passing and movement were breath-taking, and I wondered if they were actually playing at full throttle.

Should have been a foul on the keeper prior to the goal with the overcrowding and pushing. We should take some pride in the fact we reduced Man City the “Best team in the world” to Puliss’ Stoke. Cheating fuckers

The first half an hour was frantic, and full credit to our lads for keeping them out for so long. Such a shame we couldn't have stretched them a bit more, by releasing the ball to the wings when goods runs into space were being made. As much as it galls me to say, City's passing and movement were breath-taking, and I wondered if they were actually playing at full throttle.
Our defence was awesome today, they were better than City’s attack

It shows we are still a long way away from where we need to be to win anything. Totally outclassed for most of the match. We will be much better at full strength. Still hoping for top 4.

You could see the game slipping away from the ref in the last 20-25mins......

Not that they weren't hitting tactical 'disruption' fouls from the 1st whistle.

Same old story tho.... If you're gonna keep your cards in your pocket and ignore accumulation until the final 3rd of the game then you've already allowed the advantage to be taken.
Agreed. The tactical foul seems to go largely unpunished early-doors, and I thought there was meant to be a crackdown on such behaviour. It seems that referees are unwilling to give yellows for this early on in games, and this weakness is definitely being exploited. As you rightly say, certain teams definitely gain an advantage from getting away with cynical tackles.

Agreed. The tactical foul seems to go largely unpunished early-doors, and I thought there was meant to be a crackdown on such behaviour. It seems that referees are unwilling to give yellows for this early on in games, and this weakness is definitely being exploited. As you rightly say, certain teams definitely gain an advantage from getting away with cynical tackles.
Yep and now it’s all about the tactical foul before the ref thinks it’s a tactical foul.

Any foul on purpose with little attempt to play the ball is a tactical foul. The literal definition is a foul committed to gain an advantage. That’s why it’s tactical! Yet there are tactical fouls happening all over the field and it’s never called unless it’s a clear counter attack.

Yep and now it’s all about the tactical foul before the ref thinks it’s a tactical foul.

Any foul on purpose with little attempt to play the ball is a tactical foul. The literal definition is a foul committed to gain an advantage. That’s why it’s tactical! Yet there are tactical fouls happening all over the field and it’s never called unless it’s a clear counter attack.
I thought such tackles were an automatic yellow card these days, but until referees grow a pair, this won't be the case, and certain teams will keep on getting away with it more than others.

Just watched the game back having been at the stadium and... it was a bloody good tight tactical hard fought game. There's a narrative that City were clearly the better side but they weren't really. Our final third play was off - largely because Kulu Bents and Porro couldn't hit a forward pass all night but we prevented them from getting chances - all their XG came from 1 terrible minute from a gassed PEH who was otherwise our best midfielder by some distance.

The fuckign football gods are satan because why else give the Oil Slavers a dodgy ricochet after a foul (which Vic had been drawing the refs attention to ALL NIGHT) often given (and has been given) to other teams keepers.

But something has to be done about City's persistent fouling with no cards. It's just beyond joke now.

We really missed the unique qualities of Bissouma, Sarr, Lo Celso, Sonny and a match-fit Maddison. City can seemingly afford to lose 4, 5, maybe 6 of their best players because they have such a deep squad to pick from. A midfield of Rodri, Kovacic, Foden and Silva will dominate over the elite European clubs and today our lack of depth showed.

Hojbjerg had a good game and put in a shift but it was still apparent he isn't well suited to high tempo, fast paced tactics which Ange and Pep employ. I can't criticise him for this because plenty of other more traditional CMs would struggle (Rice for example).

Our front 3 were also isolated - would've like to see Johnson and Werner mix it up and play in between the channels a bit more instead of hugging the touchline. Although maybe that would've left us exposed elsewhere?

Hopefully proper FFP regulation will level out the chasm between City and the rest of us. Like with the Chavs, I put a massive asterix against the titles, cups they win.

Proud of the effort we put in. A bit of fine tuning over the next 2 - 3 transfer windows and we'll compete consistently at City's level.

Proud of the effort we put in.
73b.png

I don’t really watch Man City. They win titles and trophies and I think who cares. I don’t hate them, I just really don’t care. If a game is on and they are playing, even if it’s a final, I just do something else because it’s just so fucking boring.

But something has to be done about City's persistent fouling with no cards. It's just beyond joke now.

It's pretty much how they have been coached to play. Small fouls, break up the play, delay the free kick, get back into shape. Same ar Barca.

Problem is, if ref's punish the small fouls, it ends up punishing genuine attempts for the ball and the game becomes a non contact sport.

Back
Top Bottom