Financial Results - Year Ended 30 June 2023

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is only because we still have Kane, Lloris, Perisic and Dier on there though, ain't it?

Partly, yes and all 4 were high earners, but don't forget wages for Vicario, Van de Ven, Udogie, Maddison, Solomon, Werner, Dragusin, Lo Celso (returned from loan last year) et al are not included in last year's wages.

So our wages may or may not have not decreased this year

Announcing “talks with investors” seems a little transparent. I don’t believe a word of it and even if we did receive “investment”, you’re laughing if you think that means top quality players being brought in.

At best it’ll cover what ENIC currently allocate to transfers with the rest going towards the new hotel we’ve just received planning permission for.

Partly, yes and all 4 were high earners, but don't forget wages for Vicario, Van de Ven, Udogie, Maddison, Solomon, Werner, Dragusin, Lo Celso (returned from loan last year) et al are not included in last year's wages.

Lo Celso's wage was included in the books as he's out on loan, most of those players will be on cheap wages because their previous contracts would have been pittance apart from Maddison who I think is on £170k a week.

As for Werner we are paying him £5m until the Summer.

True but you'd also assume Arsenals further increased with Rice (250k p/w) and Havertz (220k p/w) and only losing Xhaka of note (110k p/w)

It's a massive amount of leeway as any signings can be amortised over 5 years - so in theory you could commit to new signings (wages and transfer fees) of £89m x 5 (£445m)

And the figures don't include Kane's £100m fee and £200k pw off the wage bill
This sounds like the Chelsea accounting approach...

Chelsea have managed to go even beyond this - spent over £1bn in two seasons
Ted Bolly would be rubbish at the local Chinese buffet, sod pacing yourself and having 4 or 5 sensible sized plates to gorge yourself on one after the other, lump it all on the one plate and wolf it down as fast as you can!

They use their own financial years - to 30th June which is when all the players contracts run to (you couldn't have players contracts expiring mid-season)

It can't be to 31st August as the next season has started by then, so there will always be transfers either side of the accounting window.
but you can't punish a team because of a date.
It's not like they are going broke, they made an extra £20m

Good Old Daniel says we can "now optimise the true value of key assets". He'll never know how much that phrase warms my heart.
I've supported Spurs for 65 years just so I could optimise the true value of key assets. I want that on my tombstone - "He optimised the true value of key assets."

We don’t have cash flow issues so if we secure 10 years at 20M pa, we can spend 200M of it and leverage that committed revenue upfront

But we lose the benefit of 'Tottenham Hotspur Stadium' being broadcast to millions of people worldwide for NFL, rugby, boxing plus Spurs matches - and that translates into higher sponsorship deals, more music concerts etc.

There are plenty of expert marketing forms who will do the match and work out whether £20m pa is worthwhile or whether not taking up a naming rights deal and having 'Tottenham Hotspur stadium ' mentioned on broadcasts with higher other revenue streams is worthwhile - and the fact a naming rights deal has not been done suggests its not particularly advantageous

Lo Celso's wage was included in the books as he's out on loan, most of those players will be on cheap wages because their previous contracts would have been pittance apart from Maddison who I think is on £170k a week.

As for Werner we are paying him £5m until the Summer.

Lo Celso's wages would have (at least mainly) been picked up by the club he was loaned to.

Agree most of incoming players not on Kane or Dier type wages but there are about double coming in than left, so difference in wage bill for leavers versus coming in might not be as big as we first thought.

In 5 years we'll be in the same position having the same arguments. And the people on enic and Levy’s side will still be saying the same thing talking about revenue and hosting events instead of the lack of success on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom