First Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was born and brought up in Northern Ireland and started following Spurs in 1970, aged 7.My first game was actually away at Aston Villa,March 78 I think.2-0 down at halftime and won 3-2!! Chris Jones got two I think.Think first home game was a turgid 0-0 draw v Man U ,September 1979 ( maybe )
I moved to London in1982 to go to University (but mainly to watch Spurs) and didn’t miss a game home or away for the next seven years.Literally the best and happiest times of my entire live.

First game: I grew up in rural Norfolk. Dad hated all sport apart from snooker and wrestling, bizarrely, which to his death he refused to believe was fixed. He took me to a Norwich game when I was 7 or so, they were in the second, maybe third division then. We sat in the posh seats, no programme, he didn't know any of the players or much of what was happening as I remember. My memory of it is that we sat and watched an unremarkable game in near silence, then went home.

Second game: a few years later I'd got more into football, decided Spurs were my team, partly because I liked the name (initially I picked three teams before I realised you could only have one. The other two were Wolves, understandably, and West Brom, which defies explanation). I'd gone to saty with my sister who was at Uni in London, her new boyfriend was from New Southgate and a mad Spurs fan who'd seen us win the double. He asked me if I fancied going to the game vs West Ham on Boxing Day, of course I did. So he bought me a navy blue silk scarf, which were all the rage at the time, tied to your wrist, which had Tottenham Hotspur on one side and Park Lane End on the other. He took me down the front of said end and just after we got there, Bill Nic was walking round the perimeter, shaking hands with fans. Ian (now my brother-in-law, still a huge fan, our last game together was me treating him to a tour of WHL just before it got pulled down then Leverkeusen at Wembley) stuck out my hand and I got to shake the great man's. Can't remember anything of the game or the result, just being in awe the whole time.

YIDS

Spurs 5-1 Man Utd. 1965. Don't tell me, I already know I don't behave like I'm old enough.

To be fair, Spurs was already my team - and had been for a few years. Never anything else.

20th October 1976
Tottenham 1-0 Birmingham
Keithy Osgood penalty.

The old man took me, he rarely missed a home game in 60 years.
His father played for the club.
I've lived in Tottenham all my life, and was born in the North Mid just up the road from the ground.
Me folks were both born in Tottenham.

Hmm.. I'll caveat this with having no family ties to Spurs.

The first ever premier league game I properly watched was the Yanited v @rsenal game in 2003 where the gooners behaved like nasty gits. From that day on I realised I deeply resented @rsenal. I was also under the impression Arsene Wenger owned the club (due to his namesake) and he annoyed me in many ways.

My second ever game was the 3-4 Spurs Man City game later on in that season (with the Ziege free kick and Joey Barton getting sent off).... but I only watched the first half and then switched it off... spursy. After this I figured that Spurs and Woolwich had beef and that made me like them even more.

After that I properly started following Tottenham and you could say I became a truly dedicated fan ca. 2005-7 (my favourite player at the time was Tom Huddlestone haha)

So it's been 15 years... surprisingly I don't know a single Spurs fan IRL.

Favourite spurs moments of all time:

1) Moura hat trick in Amsterdam
2) Bale last minute goals 2012/2013
3) Peter Crouch winner vs AC Milan

Genuinely can't remember my first game.
Dad took me when I was 4 years old.
Had a season ticket since I was 6 years.

Apparently dad also took me to a reserve game in the terraces when I was 6 months old.

Been cursed ever since...

I havent had the chance to watch a Tottenham game live yet...mainly because of the distance (living in Sweden)
Been a supporter of the club since around 2008, Redknapp era with a bunch of Croatians (yes I am croatian) playing for the Spurs, many fond memories of watching the games with my father at his place.

Hoping to come by when this covid situation becomes better!

One of my worst experiences live was at Old Trafford in April 2009.. 2 nil HT loving life, ended up 5-2 United.. left at 4-2 as couldn't face tram home with the mancs.. heard roar of fifth as I was heading past cricket ground
I was at that game.
The match turned on a shocking penalty decision for Utd when Gomez clearly got the ball.
I also went up there a few years later when we won 2-1 under sherwood. We had a few decisions go our way that night. Moyes was their manager.

Italia ‘90.

10 years old and all of my favourite players (Lineker, Gazza, Waddle) would have ‘Tottenham Hotspur’ come up on the TV. Started following Spurs from that point, and the following season we won the FA Cup.

First game was England v Denmark. El Tel’s first game in charge, I believe. The next was Euro ‘96, England v Scotland.

My first Spurs game was a pre-season friendly v Torino. Went up there with Sarah and we sat in the Park Lane. Gio and Bentley looked like the real deal, and if I remember correctly, Bale was introduced to the crowd.

My brother was a Spam fan, but only because he loved Martin Peters.
When Spurs swapped Jimmy for Peters he swapped as well (Thank God)

He took me to my first game 1977 vs Man City, I was10 yrs old and loved every second of it.
We nearly missed the train from Hayes, my brother and his mate held the door open and dragged me in as it was pulling away.

IIRC we were 2-0 up at half time and drew 2-2 (Spursy ?)

When we were relegated a lot of my "Spurs" mates switched to other teams, not me though.

I was never a season ticket holder but was a member and in those days you could get into every home game anyway.
I also remember being in the away at end at WHL against the dippers, we lost 4-1 (Rush was playing)

In 1991 my brother entered a competition in The Sun for 2 tickets for the cup final, he told me to enter as well and I said "Don't be silly 000s will enter, you've got no chance"
Of course he won the 2 tickets and off we went to Wembley.

With football being off for abit thought I'd just ask, what are the circumstances that happened for you to support Spurs?

Because let's be fair, supporting Spurs is basically full on Cuckold. What was your first game?

I'm 24 at the moment, from Wales, but my grandad used to work in London, and in 2002 I went to my first game after not really knowing what football was before this, the game I watched was us at home to Blackburn Rovers where we got spanked 4-0, and since then I was hooked, what a depressing state of affairs.

First games?
Spurs 1-1 Leicester 1973...Gilly + Weller for them.Sat above the old west stand enclosure with my Italian Dad who didn’t give a fuck who won! I’d have been 7.Next game was when we were in the old 2nd div when I started going with my pals.

The Swellhead Spur

Open your mind
With football being off for abit thought I'd just ask, what are the circumstances that happened for you to support Spurs?

Because let's be fair, supporting Spurs is basically full on Cuckold. What was your first game?

I'm 24 at the moment, from Wales, but my grandad used to work in London, and in 2002 I went to my first game after not really knowing what football was before this, the game I watched was us at home to Blackburn Rovers where we got spanked 4-0, and since then I was hooked, what a depressing state of affairs.

First games?

First interest in football was as a six year old watching Italia 90 with my older brother who is United fan.. Gazza was my first football hero and decided on my team watching re run of motd after spurs beat Oxford in Fa Cup in 91.. First shirt was that Hummel shirt, remember being in tears watching him stretchered off in cup final lol first game was klinsmann last game v Leeds.. Get over once a year with my boy who I've brainwashed, first was Leverkusen defeat then Bournemouth both at Wembley.. Then this season his first visit to N17 for Southampton.. lived in Manchester for a bit years ago and got too loads of games up at Wigan, Manchester, Preston, Blackburn etc .

Back
Top Bottom