Fulham v. Tottenham - March 4 18:00 GMT

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even though the their goal was chalked I bet everyone thought at the time that it was coming. I was watching it thinking it was only a matter of time. What I do not get get is why either the team or Jose does nothing to stop/change it. We can all see what is going on it no one dies anything about it. The players need to be rollicking themselves and Jose needs to firing grenades from the touch line. No leadership. Also don’t like to say it but Kane is also one of the biggest culprits he should be the leader out there but doesn’t take ownership. He doesn’t press even more. It’s all well good going back to defend when your 5-0 up and get the plaudits but when the team is struggling to control the game and keep the ball we need players to step up. Also the manger needs to change things to stem the tide. However in every game like this so far this season jose has not changed anything in the 2nd half to mitigate the oppo coming at us. It’s obv a tram like Fulham are gonna come out in the 2nd half strong so we should be prepared for it. However we look completely shocked a time is gonna have a go at us and then just let them!

It was a little bit worse than doing nothing, when we were getting overrun and desperate to be able to hold on to the ball a little bit more, one of his first subs was Sissoko who offers neither and we just shrunk even further back and had even less of the ball. It was just like some kind of "if I put this big guy on the pitch he will take up more space" - and he changed nothing tactically - he shoved Sissoko next to Hojbjerg and pushed Ndombele to ACM and kept 4231, giving us the same shape and problems that were getting overrun and outplayed and were now unable to play any football at all. School of Dave Bassett game management.

You don’t have to have top quality defenders to be able to shut up shop. Plenty of managers have created teams hard to beat or get past with less quality than we have. We just don’t press , close down or be physical.
What like us?

Two banks of 5 isnt a good defence, a good defence is one that is as good as the attack that faces it, or better.
You're confusing numbers with quality.

Can see why we were after Anderson too - he was probably MOTM last night.

Did very well for Sampadoria, several stories I heard about him coming to Spurs but it variously either didn't happen as Aulas/Lyon refused to allow Ndombele to join us until end of TW if we didn't withdraw from race for him to let Lyon sigh him or other story being club wanted him but Poch said 'no'.

All we know is he joined Lyon (record signing I think) and it didn't work out - not entirely sure why but maybe great reading of game but limited pace, which for a 6 foot 4 inch defender doesn't sound unlikely ?

Played well for Fulham - but what did you think was his worst trait ? And any thoughts on his pace ? Should he be on our list this summer tw ?

It was a little bit worse than doing nothing, when we were getting overrun and desperate to be able to hold on to the ball a little bit more, one of his first subs was Sissoko who offers neither and we just shrunk even further back and had even less of the ball. It was just like some kind of "if I put this big guy on the pitch he will take up more space" - and he changed nothing tactically - he shoved Sissoko next to Hojbjerg and pushed Ndombele to ACM and kept 4231, giving us the same shape and problems that were getting overrun and outplayed and were now unable to play any football at all. School of Dave Bassett game management.

Ah yes it was all Sissoko's fault .....

and what would you have done oh great one?

Bollocks. Why are you this upset after a win? Between you and I who’s supporting the club? You’re a Poch fanboy aren’t you?
Thought you were putting me on ignore!
I will always be grateful for what Poch did at Spurs but his time here for me was up. We will never really know what happened in his final few months at Spurs but it appears that certain players like Eriksen had given up and when that happens unfortunately something has to give and often in these days of player power it is the manager that pays the price. I do think he could have been backed more in the transfer market but again we don’t really know what was going on behind the scenes.
That said you won’t find ANY posts where I have asked for him back so it is you who is talking the usual unsubstantiated bollocks and not me.
I notice you haven’t even denied your love for Mourinho over my club.
As to you supporting Spurs more than me I have supported Spurs through thick and thin and know that nobody is bigger than my club.Unlike you I haven’t had the ‘joy‘of following massively bank rolled teams winning trophy after trophy with Mourinho- but would I swap it to become a football supporting nomad like you?- not a chance. Spurs are in my blood, in my parent’s blood, were in my grandparent’s blood and are in my children’s as well. I can remember as far back as the 81 cup final when as a little boy my mum let me have a whole bottle of limeade to myself from the ‘Corona man’ as a special treat while watching. Whereas your memories of Spurs start some 40 years later on the 22nd November 2019 with the game against West Ham two days after Jose arrived which as I said before coincided to the exact day with you joining this forum.
I will always support this club while you will always follow the Mourinho cult. Any posts you therefore make will defend your cult leader to the death even if his presence is to the ruination of my club.The day he leaves you will stop posting on here just like ‘Tuckfexas’ and the other Eriksen cultists did when he left. You will not be missed

Last edited:
I will always be grateful for what Poch did at Spurs but his time here for me was up. We will never really know what happened in his final few months at Spurs
We all appreciate his time at the club....however it wasnt just the final few months. The whole of 2019 calender year under Poch was trash except a lucky VAR decision vs City and Lucas having the most ridiculous half an hour of his life. He made us absolute garbage at the end and was sacked for it.

We all appreciate his time at the club....however it wasnt just the final few months. The whole of 2019 calender year under Poch was trash except a lucky VAR decision vs City and Lucas having the most ridiculous half an hour of his life. He made us absolute garbage at the end and was sacked.

The VAR decision wasn’t lucky because Sterling was 100% offside. I agree things were going pear-shaped and that’s why he was sacked and as I said before I think it had to happen

I will always be grateful for what Poch did at Spurs but his time here for me was up. We will never really know what happened in his final few months at Spurs but it appears that certain players like Eriksen had given up and when that happens unfortunately something has to give and often in these days of player power it is the manager that pays the price. I do think he could have been backed more in the transfer market but again we don’t really know what was going on behind the scenes.
That said you won’t find ANY posts where I have asked for him back so it is you who is talking the usual unsubstantiated bollocks and not me.
I notice you haven’t even denied your love for Mourinho over my club.
As to you supporting Spurs more than me I have supported Spurs through thick and thin and know that nobody is bigger than my club.Unlike you I haven’t had the ‘joy‘of following massively bank rolled teams winning trophy after trophy with Mourinho- but would I swap it to become a football supporting nomad like you?- not a chance. Spurs are in my blood, in my parent’s blood, were in my grandparent’s blood and are in my children’s as well. I can remember as far back as the 81 cup final when as a little boy my mum let me have a whole bottle of limeade to myself from the ‘Corona man’ as a special treat while watching. Whereas your memories of Spurs start some 40 years later on the 22nd November 2019 with the game against West Ham two days after Jose arrived which as I said before coincided to the exact day with you joining this forum.
I will always support this club while you will always follow the Mourinho cult. Any posts you therefore make will defend your cult leader to the death even if his presence is to the ruination of my club.The day he leaves you will stop posting on here just like ‘Tuckfexas’ and the other Eriksen cultists did when he left. You will not be missed
Yes, but did you enjoy the 6 points we’ve brought in over the last few days? I certainly did.

Cheer up, it’s not too bad. :D

Bollocks. Why are you this upset after a win? Between you and I who’s supporting the club? You’re a Poch fanboy aren’t you?
I am a Poch fan boy I admit it, why don’t you admit it regarding Jose .Clearly you don’t have to but actually I see no reason to deny it. I will always defend Poch, so frankly my posts make it obvious, your’s are the same ref Jose

you think you can shut up shop with 4 braindead donkeys at the back?
That’s what im saying but a lot of teams we have played against in the last few years have managed to park the bus and keep us at arms length. Those were not fully on quality international defenders. May just better organised in closing down space , the wide areas, etc. If we are going to sit deep and defend at least make sure you don’t let the oppo out balls into the box or even find players in space in our box. In the 2nd half v Fulham there were numerous times they had players in our box unmarked. Team effort is required to defend. Put it this way when we did have the ball in the 2 nd half how comes we could make very little headway? Because they closed us down and pressed us to win the ball back. Yet we allowed them to pass from their GK all the way into our pen box.

I'm starting to really like Scott Parker as a manager. Maybe not the free flowing football that Potter produces but they don't seem as naive. If we do change in the summer i think he'd be in the mix, him and his backroom team know our club inside out as well. Not first choice i'd imagine but a definite outsider.

why? This is the most BS argument. They played at the weekend like we did. Surely the players can put in the extra effort? It’s not like they have all played every game only PEH has so far. Bale, Dele, Tony , Samchez, the FBs not played that much.

I'm talking about Kane, Son, Ndombele and Hojbjerg. These 4 players are clearly starting to chug, a blind man can see that. They have all started far too many matches. Unfortunately the alternatives in their positions are just not good enough. Mourinho literally said that way back during the Europa group phase, that we needed these players on the pitch to be confident in getting a result.

Hojbjerg in particular has fallen off a cliff, fouling constantly and not winning many duels, but its almost impossible to leave him out when the alternative is Winks or Sissoko. Kane the same, he should have scored 2 easy chances against Fulham but twice shot limply at the keeper. Hopefully Lo Celso coming back will allow for some more rest in those midfield areas and stop Kane having to do so much running around. When the midfield is tired the whole team suffers because we have to be much more compact and our forwards have to spend too much time in our half.

and what would you have done oh great one?

The first thing I wouldn’t have done was start sitting so deep from the 46th minute. But If I was Mou at the time he made the subs, intent on shelling, would have probably put Reguilon on and switched to a 442 or 352 dropping two of the AM’s back into the middle line, maybe also bringing in Moura to play RM and/or Winks to play in the middle 3 of the 5. Trying to stifle their midfield more than we were.

Bringing Sissoko on, pushing him into the CM2 and retaining the 4231, just means him and Hojbjerg melt back into the back line and we become virtually midfieldless 6-4 or 6-1-3, incapable of stifling them before they are deep into us and/or offering much threat on the counter.

Last edited:
The first thing I wouldn’t have done was start sitting so deep from the 46th minute. But If I was Mou at the time he made the subs, intent on shelling, would have probably put Reguilon on and switched to a 442 or 352 dropping two of the AM’s back into the middle line, maybe also bringing in Moura to play RM and/or Winks to play in the middle 3 of the 5. Trying to stifle their midfield more than we were.

Bringing Sissoko on, pushing him into the CM2 and retaining the 4231, just means him and Hojbjerg melt back into the back line and we become virtually midfieldless 6-4 or 6-1-3, incapable of stifling them before they are deep not us and/or offering much threat on the counter.
Yeah, I've said so many times on various threads here.

This tactic of the 2 DMs sitting deep and babysitting the CBs is shit. Creates a massive void in midfield that other teams just exploit. Jose has to see and change this if he wants to change the fortunes of the team long term.

Back
Top Bottom