Fulham VS Tottenham Hotspur. Carabao Cup. Tuesday 29th August 2023. Craven Cottage 19:45pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's wrong with pointing out mistakes made, that cost us our best chance of a trophy?

Doesn't have to mean we can't wait until we fuck up, it just means we are pointing out where mistakes were made.
No harm in that ffs.

But that’s not what some people are doing, is it.

There’s constructive criticism and there’s the same old posters going OTT.

End of.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don’t categorise you in that group of posters. I generally find you to be a constructive, balanced poster.

Well we aren't in the champions league, we won't win the league, so how is going for the two cups we can win, unambitious?

Man city, the most ambitious club possibly in the world, threw everything they had at winning the league cup, and treated it as a very major trophy, so are better and above them?
We aren't in the Champions League this year but I am certain the aim amongst the coaching staff is to get back into it for next season (i.e. top 5 finish).

Saying we won't win the league as the 9th richest club in Europe does sound a little strange don't you think? (i.e. this is where the lack of ambition stems from).

Man City?? Did you not see the team they sent out against Southampton last year when they lost?? It was the opposite of whatever 'treating it as a very major trophy' is.

Does that mean Man City aren't ambitious either??
They seem to take it pretty seriously, and funnily enough, seem to win it pretty regularly too!!!

Small time Mancs!!

You highlighted the Champions League in my quote so not sure what you are referring to.

If it is the Champions League, then yes, they take it very seriously. Thanks for making my point.

Surely no one is seriously losing the faith of the opening 3 games because we lost to a strong Prem team away from home with our B team?

We move on. Burnley at the weekend. Get 3 points, 10 from 12 heading into the international break.

We aren't in the Champions League this year but I am certain the aim amongst the coaching staff is to get back into it for next season (i.e. top 5 finish).

Saying we won't win the league as the 9th richest club in Europe does sound a little strange don't you think? (i.e. this is where the lack of ambition stems from).

Man City?? Did you not see the team they sent out against Southampton last year when they lost?? It was the opposite of whatever 'treating it as a very major trophy' is.
Ah would that be the man city that won it? Yeah they got that wrong.

There's ambition and there's reality. .
If you think we can win the league this year because we are 9th richest club in the world, then you're deluded. .we had a great chance of winning the league cup, which would have been a massive step forward, but we accepted defeat before we started

A lot of players last night were given the opportunity they could press for a starting berth in the league. They failed.

I have generally been kind to the likes of Davies, Hojbjerg but the drop off in quality from Udogie and Bissouma to them is huge.

Ah would that be the man city that won it? Yeah they got that wrong.

There's ambition and there's reality. .
If you think we can win the league this year because we are 9th richest club in the world, then you're deluded. .we had a great chance of winning the league cup, which would have been a massive step forward, but we accepted defeat before we started

Where did I say "this year"?

I am speaking in general terms. We are the 9th richest club in Europe. We have a bucket-load of room under FFP.

We should in theory be aiming to challenge for the league.

But we don't.

It's like looking at a bunch of spiteful, entitled 6 year olds stamping their feet because they had their train set taken away.
" I demand more of the club I support, my standards are higher than yours!"

AP just watched his second string play in a competitive fixture where the result mattered, and he now knows a lot more about the players he's inherited. I think that at this stage of the season, that has more value than getting through to the semis of the league cup, to lose to either the goons, the dippers or Man city.
The faster he knows who can do what in his team structure the better.

But like you said, it gave the air raid sirens the opportunity to air their prejudices and abuse Spurs players for not being world class.

I just wish the kindergarten crowd would start their own bitching forum and take their whining elsewhere.
I mean if he needs to do that to find out about the squad maybe he should have used a league game instead of a cup game that if we lose we are out. Better yet just bring players on when we are 2-0 up against Bournemouth for example. Also what's the use in finding out about them 2 days before the transfer window closes. Ange has been a breath of fresh air but it's ok to criticise him when he makes mistakes and I bet he regrets making so many changes.

Surely no one is seriously losing the faith of the opening 3 games because we lost to a strong Prem team away from home with our B team?

We move on. Burnley at the weekend. Get 3 points, 10 from 12 heading into the international break.
It's not about losing faith, it's speaking about our disappointment of not taking a cup we had a great chance of winning seriously.
Why is it wrong to discuss that?

Doesn't mean we are turning on the manager or losing faith.

A lot of players last night were given the opportunity they could press for a starting berth in the league. They failed.

I have generally been kind to the likes of Davies, Hojbjerg but the drop off in quality from Udogie and Bissouma to them is huge.
Hojbjerg was fine. He was basically playing in the midfield alone, with Lo Celso not dropping to help and with Skipp completing 16 passes out of 22 attempted.

I didn’t get why fans are shocked we made 9 changes. Not only will a manager want to see their second string but this is the club culture.

Pretty much every manager we have for the last 10-20 years puts our weak teams in the cups. You don’t have to be Einstein to work out the club makes it clear to our managers the league and European qualification is the goal.

Good post.

There is proper delusion amongst our fanbase.

We lost a football match on penalties and the same people just feel like it's a perfect time to start moaning again.

Ange has been here for four matches, won 2, drew 1 and lost on penalties.

He's completely overhauled the style of play yet there are fans having hissy fits after drawing 1-1 effectively.

It's embarrassing the reaction on here.
With our B team against a prem team who changed their keeper

Where did I say "this year"?

I am speaking in general terms. We are the 9th richest club in Europe. We have a bucket-load of room under FFP.

We should in theory be aiming to challenge for the league.

But we don't.
To challenge for the league, you need a winners mentality, thinking a major trophy is crap and beneath us is not having a winners mentality.
Man city won it last year and used it as a springboard to win everything else.

The abuse flying about is nothing short of embarrassing. Honestly,there’s so many who can’t wait for the shit to hit the fan and blame everything.
It’s a game of fucking football. We’ve went 4 games and not lost yet. Penalties are a lottery and yes the big man never got near any and kept diving the same way but he had some good saves in the game. We all have players we are not keen on and it’s up for debate if Sanchez should have hit one I’m not going to throw him under the bus. for it though. Again there’s a few that were on the pitch that probably shouldn’t be near the team and Ange will take responsibility for that. The meltdown of many is actually laughable though. If we went to Fulham in a league game and drew 1-1 it would be deemed as not a terrible result. Going out the cup this early in a competition we had thoughts of maybe winning is disappointing but what we will now have is complete consistency in our line up and week to week we will have our strongest team on the pitch.
Ange said in his press conference he was still finding out and learning about players and questioned how was he supposed to do that without giving them a game. I daresay he's now found out everything he needs to know. I must admit I was really disappointed when I saw the line up but not surprised given how we as a club have treated this comp in recent years. I'm hoping that barring injuries we see very little now of the majority of the 9 who came in. Solomon deserves more opportunities and peresic is useful when required. The rest of them, no thanks.

Hojbjerg was fine. He was basically playing in the midfield alone, with Lo Celso not dropping to help and with Skipp completing 16 passes out of 22 attempted.

I thought he struggled, couldn’t deal any time Fulham pressed, Bissouma would have dealt with that. Lo Celso and Skipp hardly ripped up trees either. Midfield worked hard but lacked quality.

With our B team against a prem team who changed their keeper
Fulham just come off a draw against Woolwich at the weekend with some of the same players.

Yes we lost and I'm gutted but I'll reiterate, it's not like these players embarrassed themselfs walking off the pitch losing 4-1.

It was a penalty shootout ffs.

It's not about losing faith, it's speaking about our disappointment of not taking a cup we had a great chance of winning seriously.
Why is it wrong to discuss that?

Doesn't mean we are turning on the manager or losing faith.
You know that the petrol fuelled teams still play in this comp don't you?
Realistically, do you think that we are viably going to win it? City can put out a B team that would probably qualify for Europe in the premier league

Back
Top Bottom