Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Listening to a news program about New York City schools opening (I’m in the US), and the interviewer asks the mayor, “What are the chances you bail on this plan?” And all I could think was....

Bail? Bale. BALE!

Going to be hard to concentrate at work today....

tenor-20.gif

The point is; what is in his game today? That's all. He's barly played for 2yrs! If he's not scoring from outside the box, then is he still able to play on the counter? (I hope so because this is our MO under Jose). The answer is we don't know. We do know that he's not the same player that left. As yo say, "there WAS more to his game". It's completly unknown what he brings today.

Why would he give the squad a lift? Last time he was playing for us he didn't bother to train with the squad on occasions, if you listen to the Defoe's interview about this the players were not impressed by this. By many accounts, his RM team mates didn't bond with him at all (apart from Modric). Just another example of the players not getting the "shot in the arm by his presence".

The lift is from the fanbase, the shot in the arm is felt by the fanbase, all thinking we are getting the same player back that left 7yrs ago.

I'm sure that if his level has dropped 25% then that means we still have a good player on our hands but the expectation of him banging in worldies as he used to for us is only going to end in tears IMO. I do hope that he feels he has something left to prove, and is motivated to show Madrid that they shouldn't have booed him and included him but, this is merely wishful thinking, as evidence suggests that he didn't really give a shit and was content playing golf whilst picking up £600kpw neto!

Then why move? Madrid is an utter shithouse of a club, ZZ didn't want him, basically saying in public he didn't want him, the fans booing him. The last 2 years I feel he probably wasn't arsed and probably didn't try that hard. Time will tell.

Then why move? Madrid is an utter shithouse of a club, ZZ didn't want him, basically saying in public he didn't want him, the fans booing him. The last 2 years I feel he probably wasn't arsed and probably didn't try that hard. Time will tell.

Putting aside the obviously massive emotive lift this has given the fanbase (lol) I confidently state two things:

1. Bale isn't at his peak
2. He's still a really good player

I think it's a pretty easy decision to take him back for a year given both those points.

I know all this.

If it wasn't Bale (and therefore his Spurs connections) how would you feel about signing a player that has spent the last 2yrs not able to break into a team, have teammates calling him out for not wanting to bond and getting booed by the fanbase?

The point is; what is in his game today? That's all. He's barly played for 2yrs! If he's not scoring from outside the box, then is he still able to play on the counter? (I hope so because this is our MO under Jose). The answer is we don't know. We do know that he's not the same player that left. As yo say, "there WAS more to his game". It's completly unknown what he brings today.

Why would he give the squad a lift? Last time he was playing for us he didn't bother to train with the squad on occasions, if you listen to the Defoe's interview about this the players were not impressed by this. By many accounts, his RM team mates didn't bond with him at all (apart from Modric). Just another example of the players not getting the "shot in the arm by his presence".

The lift is from the fanbase, the shot in the arm is felt by the fanbase, all thinking we are getting the same player back that left 7yrs ago.

I'm sure that if his level has dropped 25% then that means we still have a good player on our hands but the expectation of him banging in worldies as he used to for us is only going to end in tears IMO. I do hope that he feels he has something left to prove, and is motivated to show Madrid that they shouldn't have booed him and included him but, this is merely wishful thinking, as evidence suggests that he didn't really give a shit and was content playing golf whilst picking up £600kpw neto!
I don’t have any illusions, he’s 31 and hasn’t played much.

He hasn’t played for a while so he’ll need to find his form again and he’s also been injury prone. However, I don’t think we have to worry about his quality to the extent that you suggest. He was a world class player scoring important goals in the CL, that’s not going to suddenly disappear and it’s not like he’s 34.

I don’t have any illusions, he’s 31 and hasn’t played much.

He hasn’t played for a while so he’ll need to find his form again and he’s also been injury prone. However, I don’t think we have to worry about his quality to the extent that you suggest. He was a world class player scoring important goals in the CL, that’s not going to suddenly disappear and it’s not like he’s 34.
31 isn’t old

I know all this.

If it wasn't Bale (and therefore his Spurs connections) how would you feel about signing a player that has spent the last 2yrs not able to break into a team, have teammates calling him out for not wanting to bond and getting booed by the fanbase?

Pretty sceptical, but.... HE IS SPURS. If this doesn't excite you I don't get what is in it for a supporter, football is nothing without optimism and romance.

I know all this.

Yids take care of their own!

Back
Top Bottom