Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why not start him against Wycombe? He needs game time and plenty of it to find any sort of level.

Training is just that. Training. Any player needs minutes in match conditions to get fully sharp. How many league games has Bale started? 1 or 2 i think. He will never be match ready if you never start him.

I think managers like Jose use this bullshit about training when they don't want to pick a player because he doesn't play with the tactical or defensive discipline they require.

It's funny how it's always Bale, Dele, Tanguy who have to earn their place in training i.e the creative, offensive players . We never hear this crap about Sissoko or Winks do we? I suppose they are shit in training as well because they're not starting games currently.

Poch on Sissoko 4 years ago:

Mauricio Pochettino has expressed disappointment with the impact made by Moussa Sissoko since the midfielder’s club‑record arrival at Tottenham Hotspur in the summer, and suggested the France international had yet to demonstrate in training or in his appearances in the first team the quality the management anticipated.

“Football is not about money,” Pochettino said when asked about Sissoko’s absence. “It is about players being better, and that they show on the training ground that they are better than another team-mate and that they deserve to be involved or not. In my opinion, I need to take the decisions and I believe that the players that started in the game [on Saturday] and the players on the bench deserved to be involved in the game. There’s nothing else to [read into] it.

“It’s not frustrating for me. It’s about football. We can see in football different things that happen. You sign a player and then you expect something, and you don’t find what you expected … If another deserved to be involved, like maybe [Georges-Kévin] Nkoudou or Josh Onomah, or [Vincent] Janssen, then why not? Just because we pay money [for someone], do they deserve to play? Sissoko needs to work hard and to show in future that he deserves to be on the team.”

Some earlier quotes:

“I never promised my players that they will play,” he said as he recalled Aaron Lennon asking for a move to Everton in order to get more game-time.

“When you sign a contract as a player, you need to understand that you don’t sign to play, you sign to train.

“Then the club signs a manager or head coach to pick the players. This is football.”

We are not Gareth Bale FC, we are Tottenham. If Bale wants more minutes he has to show he can give more to the team than the rivals for his position. If you can’t show your quality in training then you are not going to be trusted to show it in a league match. Bale hasn’t even stood out against the farmers he’s played against in the cups this season. To change his situation he needs a stunning performance tonight then to train hard every single day. Anything less is not enough. If Bale is still good enough surely he can do the business against Wycombe?

Last edited:
Poch on Sissoko 4 years ago:

Mauricio Pochettino has expressed disappointment with the impact made by Moussa Sissoko since the midfielder’s club‑record arrival at Tottenham Hotspur in the summer, and suggested the France international had yet to demonstrate in training or in his appearances in the first team the quality the management anticipated.

“Football is not about money,” Pochettino said when asked about Sissoko’s absence. “It is about players being better, and that they show on the training ground that they are better than another team-mate and that they deserve to be involved or not. In my opinion, I need to take the decisions and I believe that the players that started in the game [on Saturday] and the players on the bench deserved to be involved in the game. There’s nothing else to [read into] it.

“It’s not frustrating for me. It’s about football. We can see in football different things that happen. You sign a player and then you expect something, and you don’t find what you expected … If another deserved to be involved, like maybe [Georges-Kévin] Nkoudou or Josh Onomah, or [Vincent] Janssen, then why not? Just because we pay money [for someone], do they deserve to play? Sissoko needs to work hard and to show in future that he deserves to be on the team.”

Some earlier quotes:

“I never promised my players that they will play,” he said as he recalled Aaron Lennon asking for a move to Everton in order to get more game-time.

“When you sign a contract as a player, you need to understand that you don’t sign to play, you sign to train.

“Then the club signs a manager or head coach to pick the players. This is football.”

We are not Gareth Bale FC, we are Tottenham. If Bale wants more minutes he has to show he can give more to the team than the rivals for his position. If you can’t show your quality in training then you are not going to be trusted to show it in a league match. Bale hasn’t even stood out against the farmers he’s played against in the cups this season. To change his situation he needs a stunning performance tonight then to train hard every single day. Anything less is not enough. If Bale is still good enough surely he can do the business against Wycombe?
Lovely quotes and I wish he had stuck to this

Why not start him against Wycombe? He needs game time and plenty of it to find any sort of level.

Training is just that. Training. Any player needs minutes in match conditions to get fully sharp. How many league games has Bale started? 1 or 2 i think. He will never be match ready if you never start him.

I think managers like Jose use this bullshit about training when they don't want to pick a player because he doesn't play with the tactical or defensive discipline they require.

It's funny how it's always Bale, Dele, Tanguy who have to earn their place in training i.e the creative, offensive players . We never hear this crap about Sissoko or Winks do we? I suppose they are shit in training as well because they're not starting games currently.

All he says is that he can’t promise players minutes, basically can’t guarantee people their starting place. Surely that’s how it should be? No player should have their position cemented in the team.

I often wonder what could have been this season if he had of put the chance away against West Ham on his first game back it would have given him a massive boost.

Kenny McEvoy MBE , he left football to join Starfleet Command in their never ending quest of deep space exploration, research , peacekeeping, defense & diplomacy.

He’s currently on Nova-class U.S.S. Equinox doing scientific research at the edge of the Bajoran wormhole close to the Planet Bajor
Assume this is a Star Trek reference (only think that because I watch Big Bang Theory). :)

Ah McKevoy. Tottenham academy product number 3,238 to be tipped for the stratosphere only to end up on the scrapheap.

As for Bale, I would be very sad to learn that Zidane and the RM fans were right, and not just being utter wankers to our special boy.

The whole Zidane has it in for Bale stuff does sound nonsense if I'm honest. I could maybe see it if Zidane was a xenophobic Spaniard manager who just came in or something.

In fact Zidane tapped him up to get him there in his ambassador role. Then when he took over as manager he played Bale a lot, made him a starter.
Only when Bale kept getting injured did he not feature as much. Zidane also seemed to support his move to China which the board presumably blocked.

I don't think it's wild to imagine that Zidane fancied Bale and then without malice thought he declined too much after injury.

When Bale was at Madrid both he and his agent said he was fit. Mourinho has just said he was injured when he arrived and has some small problems.
He might be physically fit but his days as a top player seem to have gone. He seems to be putting his time in to keep fit for the Euros . Compared to Cavani(33yrs) he is shot.
He won’t be with us next season. Unless he goes to China he might have to sit at Madrid for another season.
After that is anybody’s guess. I don’t see him going back to Soton or signing for Cardiff.
I think he will probably call it a day. Sad but probably true.
Charlie Adam Certainly played his part.

I think Jose was well within his rights to call out Bale.

At the end of the day just because he's come back to the club where he made it and he knows the fans love him doesn't mean he can swan about and not put in the hard yards.
He either shapes up or ships out, we haven't got time for sentiment.

If he knuckled down I'm sure we could get some quality out of him like what United are squeezing out with Cavani, but for me he just doesn't look interested.

SleepyHorribleGrebe-max-1mb.gif

That's ecstasy for you, kids.

I think Jose was well within his rights to call out Bale.

At the end of the day just because he's come back to the club where he made it and he knows the fans love him doesn't mean he can swan about and not put in the hard yards.
He either shapes up or ships out, we haven't got time for sentiment.

If he knuckled down I'm sure we could get some quality out of him like what United are squeezing out with Cavani, but for me he just doesn't look interested.
Yep, about time he pulled his finger out of his arse. Perfect opportunity to stake a claim if he plays tonight.

You do wonder if it would be a different story if fans were in the stadium when he came back. Perhaps would have fired him up a bit more, the reception he would have got?

Back
Top Bottom