Gareth Southgate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think u21's are a reasonable comparison with senior international tournament football. They are players on professional contracts often playing for senior sides, unlike u15's.

I can't find a squad list for that tournament in 2016, but can see goal scorers include Grealish, Ward-Prowse, Redmond, Loftus-Cheek and that Pickford was in goal.

Suggests to me he knows Grealish quite well too, which is a player a lot of contention has been raised about.

Edit - I found the squad lists
I watched those tournaments and agree we were impressive. We were also, by some distance imo, the strongest side on paper.

I think Southgate has been blessed in his tenure with England to have the most talented set of English players since 1990.

Btw, I really like Gareth Southgate as a person. Think he conducts himself impeccably in a very challenging role. I just don't think he's that great a manager. I'd like to see the lads let off their leash at some point. Maybe not this tournament, as it's going well, but next.

Our attacking talent is incredible. But we play defensively. I do get it, I just feel there is so much more in there.

Rice-Mount
Sancho-Foden-Grealish
Kane

That just looks epic.

Gotta wonder what Eric Dier and Dele Alli are thinking after coasting for a season and effectively sacrificing their places.

I think Bellingham will be huge for England going forward, a new Bryan Robson.

Btw, I really like Gareth Southgate as a person. Think he conducts himself impeccably in a very challenging role. I just don't think he's that great a manager. I'd like to see the lads let off their leash at some point. Maybe not this tournament, as it's going well, but next.

Our attacking talent is incredible. But we play defensively. I do get it, I just feel there is so much more in there.

Rice-Mount
Sancho-Foden-Grealish
Kane

That just looks epic.

Gotta wonder what Eric Dier and Dele Alli are thinking after coasting for a season and effectively sacrificing their places.

I think Bellingham will be huge for England going forward, a new Bryan Robson.
We don't play defensively...we play conservatively. It allows us to keep control of the game and track when we want to, rather than being dictated to by the other side. Then, if needs be, we have all those attacking talents to bring on.

Mourinho played defensively...for the most part....snatch a goal, sit back and win one nil.

Btw I'm not saying I prefer conservativism when it comes to watching but it has been successful this tournament so far.

What a load of guff you have posted - not just this quoted one.

We played a back 5 yesterday which allowed Walker and Trippier to start RWB & RCB.
The other games we played a back 4. Against Croatia Trippier did a great job, and his crossing + set piece delivery was sorely missed in the games he didn't start.
Shaw looks fat and uneasy in possession. He gave the ball away more than Trippier and his deliveries were poor. Against Ukraine, should we go to a back 4 again I would be picking Trippier over Shaw as LB based on performances.

I heard that since the 2018 World Cup, only KDB has created more chances than Trippier. He not only gives us composed, experienced stability on that right side - he also creates. He is more likely to put quality balls in the box than any other player in the squad.. a service Kane has been lacking desperately.

And wasn't that Hodgson & Neville that put Kane on corners. Not Southgate?

Utter nonsense. He has the team setup to play a brand of football he believes will progress us to the later stages of tournaments. It appears to be working looking at these Euros and the last World Cup.

You have to recognise that Southgate hasn't gone in to this tournament with individual "one game at a time" game plans. From his squad selection, to the first game against Croatia, to last night and beyond - he has considered the possible eventualities. Recognising where and when certain players can hurt teams. Being brave enough to take off Kane and ignore the pressures around the decision. Possibly because he didn't want a player than can easily burn out to push in those most demanding final 20 minutes of games. Being able to recognise that Germany are a team we ought to contain first and foremost, then based on his starting 11 - giving himself the choice of turning to the bench to call upon Grealish, Sancho, Mount or Foden depending on the situation and flow of the game.

There are some good players in this England squad that will end the tournament regarded as great players because of Southgate, especially Philips & Saka.

From what you have posted you seem deliberately oblivious to the good work Southgate is doing. Perhaps you have an agenda against him that I'm not aware of but your opinions seem far from balanced and incorrect in my opinion.
Great post !

Credit to the bloke. He is doing good things in a way that an intelligent individual as he is can.

He seems approachable but very much the manager.

He obviously is looking at the team dynamic and who has that confidence and edge but not the arrogance. That alone maybe means Grealish off the bench is better. He is arrogant ( nothing wrong with thar per se) but it has limitations, so maybe better to bring him on when legs are tiring and when he can draw fouls and see passes.

When you then consider who Southgate has got in.defence you can see exactly what he wants. Calmness and boldness in possession but also some experience of being winners .and in Walker, possibly the best right back in the world right now. That guy at 31 years of age is a physical freak in the Cafu category of super athletes.

If Southgate stays collected and if he can make sure the players aren't afraid of the prize then in this tournament it will take a very good manager to oversee a side to beat him and this England team..

Last edited:
What a load of guff you have posted - not just this quoted one.

We played a back 5 yesterday which allowed Walker and Trippier to start RWB & RCB.
The other games we played a back 4. Against Croatia Trippier did a great job, and his crossing + set piece delivery was sorely missed in the games he didn't start.
Shaw looks fat and uneasy in possession. He gave the ball away more than Trippier and his deliveries were poor. Against Ukraine, should we go to a back 4 again I would be picking Trippier over Shaw as LB based on performances.

I heard that since the 2018 World Cup, only KDB has created more chances than Trippier. He not only gives us composed, experienced stability on that right side - he also creates. He is more likely to put quality balls in the box than any other player in the squad.. a service Kane has been lacking desperately.

And wasn't that Hodgson & Neville that put Kane on corners. Not Southgate?

Utter nonsense. He has the team setup to play a brand of football he believes will progress us to the later stages of tournaments. It appears to be working looking at these Euros and the last World Cup.

You have to recognise that Southgate hasn't gone in to this tournament with individual "one game at a time" game plans. From his squad selection, to the first game against Croatia, to last night and beyond - he has considered the possible eventualities. Recognising where and when certain players can hurt teams. Being brave enough to take off Kane and ignore the pressures around the decision. Possibly because he didn't want a player than can easily burn out to push in those most demanding final 20 minutes of games. Being able to recognise that Germany are a team we ought to contain first and foremost, then based on his starting 11 - giving himself the choice of turning to the bench to call upon Grealish, Sancho, Mount or Foden depending on the situation and flow of the game.

There are some good players in this England squad that will end the tournament regarded as great players because of Southgate, especially Philips & Saka.

From what you have posted you seem deliberately oblivious to the good work Southgate is doing. Perhaps you have an agenda against him that I'm not aware of but your opinions seem far from balanced and incorrect in my opinion.
Excellent post.

Excellent post.
Michael Conor Mic Drop GIF by In Real Life

Southgate came in after the media did a 'sting' on Big Sam. They thought Southgate was weak and they could manipulate him easier than Sam (also Sam hates Woolwich). But at the beginning Southgate picked his own players and England had nearly 7 in the team and the media hated it.

But the FA undermined England by putting in anti-Spurs man Steve Holland from Chelsea which Daniel Levy objected to as a conflict of interest. The FA ignored that and now Southgate has become this weed the media wanted, picking the players they want, only from top teams with the odd exception, and not picking players on form as he did before.

Southgate is making stupid substitutions and playing ultra negative which is killing England. He then throws his star man Harry Kane to the wolves by subbing him (twice) just when he might become more effective, when opponents are tired and nervous late in the game.

He's fallen for the hype of Mason Mount who has yet to do anything of any note and I predict he will lose to the Czechs if he plays the same as before.

The media will try their best to get the last Tottenham player out of England, the same man who got the Golden Boot and Golden Assist while the press picked DeBryne for his under-par season instead of England's captain.
What a load of nonsense.

I still don't rate him, he's the archetypical FA yes man. He's also still a bit negative for my tastes.

I think we have an incredible squad and should be at least making a semi final with these players, so nothing but par for Gareth so far.

IF he wins the whole thing then I reserve the right to suck his cock on here.

SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur what do you think of last nights performance, coming round to Gary? I would have liked to see Grealish start but can’t argue with 4-0 ,
Also nice to see a manager not afraid to take Harry off when he is on a hat trick!

I think right from the start of the tournament the plan has been to save Kane's energy for the latter stages
Yeah Kane has just been warming up for the knock out stages ! If we go all the way to the final I think he ends up top scorer. Glimpses of peak Kane yesterday and if he can stay fit then maybe , just maybe ……

Back
Top Bottom