Gareth Southgate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Asking for evidence of your claims isn't out of the ordinary mate. It's a forum, expect responses.

Especially when claiming our CL run was based off defensive solidity when we conceded 19 goals in 13 games.

Watch the City and Ajax games again.
It wasn't a claim that was a big deal. Someone questioned southgates tactics and I said I felt he had been a more calm approach which whilst dull, may end up being more successful.
I don't need your aggressive responses and snarky attitude....although this seems standard you tbh.
My comment literally didn't need aggressive comments and demands but I'm always happy to answer and discuss sensibly....it is a forum after all but I do think your approach is confrontational and I don't wish to engage any further with you.

Examples of tactical ineptitude...

He played Trippier, our best RB at LB whilst Luke Shaw, our best player last night, didn't play.

Trippier and Shaw were phenomenal in their correct positions last night.

He also once put Harry Kane on corners.

What a load of guff you have posted - not just this quoted one.

We played a back 5 yesterday which allowed Walker and Trippier to start RWB & RCB.
The other games we played a back 4. Against Croatia Trippier did a great job, and his crossing + set piece delivery was sorely missed in the games he didn't start.
Shaw looks fat and uneasy in possession. He gave the ball away more than Trippier and his deliveries were poor. Against Ukraine, should we go to a back 4 again I would be picking Trippier over Shaw as LB based on performances.

I heard that since the 2018 World Cup, only KDB has created more chances than Trippier. He not only gives us composed, experienced stability on that right side - he also creates. He is more likely to put quality balls in the box than any other player in the squad.. a service Kane has been lacking desperately.

And wasn't that Hodgson & Neville that put Kane on corners. Not Southgate?

We are doing well in spite of him, not because of him.

He is riding the coattails of exceptional players.

Utter nonsense. He has the team setup to play a brand of football he believes will progress us to the later stages of tournaments. It appears to be working looking at these Euros and the last World Cup.

You have to recognise that Southgate hasn't gone in to this tournament with individual "one game at a time" game plans. From his squad selection, to the first game against Croatia, to last night and beyond - he has considered the possible eventualities. Recognising where and when certain players can hurt teams. Being brave enough to take off Kane and ignore the pressures around the decision. Possibly because he didn't want a player than can easily burn out to push in those most demanding final 20 minutes of games. Being able to recognise that Germany are a team we ought to contain first and foremost, then based on his starting 11 - giving himself the choice of turning to the bench to call upon Grealish, Sancho, Mount or Foden depending on the situation and flow of the game.

There are some good players in this England squad that will end the tournament regarded as great players because of Southgate, especially Philips & Saka.

From what you have posted you seem deliberately oblivious to the good work Southgate is doing. Perhaps you have an agenda against him that I'm not aware of but your opinions seem far from balanced and incorrect in my opinion.

Honestly; they didn't.

Capello in particular is possibly the most stubborn cunt on earth.
Fairs. Thanks for a reasonable discussion. Maybe it was my perception. Can't remember who said it on the radio the other day: maybe psycho who said it was nice to see us being more measured and not knackered by 60 mins and in trouble.

Fairs. Thanks for a reasonable discussion. Maybe it was my perception. Can't remember who said it on the radio the other day: maybe psycho who said it was nice to see us being more measured and not knackered by 60 mins and in trouble.

Until relatively recently the criticism has been that the players aren't technically proficient enough to retain and manage the ball in high end international games.... Arguably because the English domestic game was never coached or played that way (certainly compared to eg Seira A).... Yes, we would often be left charging about chasing shadows but we were still regularly criticised for playing conservatively (or not attacking enough) and having negative selections.

I like Gareth, but I've given him some stick in the past. We'll never play lovely, free flowing football under him. We're certainly capable of it with players like Foden, Grealish, Sancho and Mount etc. But you can't argue with his record. A World-Cup semi, Nations League semi, at minimum a Euro's Quarter-final... I think his win percentage is not too far from something like 65%, which is excellent for any manager at any level, so he's obviously doing a lot of things right.

Yes, apart from the 5 titles he's won, Marcelo Bielsa has won nothing.
In the past 17 years he has won the English Championship only.
You have to go back 20-30 years to validate those 5 quoted titles.

How much Argentinian football were you watching in the 90s?
None I would expect.

In the past 17 years he has won the English Championship only.
You have to go back 20-30 years to validate those 5 quoted titles.

How much Argentinian football were you watching in the 90s?
None I would expect.
I didn't claim to. He said he'd won zero titles, I was simply correcting him.

Especially when it's regarding a comparison to Southgate who has literally won nothing and been relegated in the only other job he had.

I didn't claim to. He said he'd won zero titles, I was simply correcting him.

Especially when it's regarding a comparison to Southgate who has literally won nothing and been relegated in the only other job he had.

I had to remove my agree after the extra sentence was added and stopped just short of a disagree - because Southgate won an U21 tournament with England.

They went on to win the next 2 after, and the u21 World Cup I believe on the back of Southgates work.
Maybe it's a coincidence and they would have done it anyway - but I give him some credit for that in a similar way I credit Jol for our League Cup win.

I had to remove my agree after the extra sentence was added and stopped just short of a disagree - because Southgate won an U21 tournament with England.

They went on to win the next 2 after, and the u21 World Cup I believe on the back of Southgates work.
Maybe it's a coincidence and they would have done it anyway - but I give him some credit for that in a similar way I credit Jol for our League Cup win.
Not sure we can compare age group level honours to first team honours.

Otherwise how low do you want to go? Under 15s?

Not sure we can compare age group level honours to first team honours.

Otherwise how low do you want to go? Under 15s?

I think u21's are a reasonable comparison with senior international tournament football. They are players on professional contracts often playing for senior sides, unlike u15's.

I can't find a squad list for that tournament in 2016, but can see goal scorers include Grealish, Ward-Prowse, Redmond, Loftus-Cheek and that Pickford was in goal.

Suggests to me he knows Grealish quite well too, which is a player a lot of contention has been raised about.

Edit - I found the squad lists

Back
Top Bottom