Gareth Southgate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You can definitely grow into a tournament, and you don't win it in the group stages - he is going to need to get Kane into scoring positions and with decent service though. The team has so few goals in it without Kane firing.
9nly takes one to win a game and we haven't conceded in the last 6 games or so which is pretty good.

Tactically inept: beaten Croatia (world cup finalists), draw with Scotland (always tricky like derbies tend to be), beaten Czech Republic, beaten Germany (world cup winners etc etc).
I think tactically inept is lazy thinking: it may not be all guns blazing like we would love to see but I genuinely haven't, at any point, thought that we would lose....not through my blind love of England (which I don't have) but through watching the calmness and composure of the team.

The old English way of going gung ho against the Germans and losing 3 nil is pretty dead and buried. I see it as a bit like poch in champions League. Every year we got further because he was having to play a different way in the CL than the premier League. He refined it every year until we became defensively solid, calm in possession and we took our chances to score...much like England yesterday.

So....he isn't tactically inept but may not always choose the players or system we want. It isn't pretty to watch but gives confidence and brings results. Look how Germany destroyed Portugal and then think about last night's game.

That was my twin, Skyler, who posted that. Ignore him, he's a helmet.

I see it as a bit like poch in champions League. Every year we got further because he was having to play a different way in the CL than the premier League. He refined it every year until we became defensively solid, calm in possession and we took our chances to score...much like England yesterday.l
I don't mean to be rude, but did you watch any of our CL games?

We were anything but what you've described. We absolutely did not make it to the CL final by being defensively solid and calm in possession.

I don't mean to be rude, but did you watch any of our CL games?

We were anything but what you've described. We absolutely did not make it to the CL final by being defensively solid and calm in possession.
I did see them yes. There was a progression in our champions League style of play across poch's tenure (granted the last run was an odd one). I remember Alex Ferguson having said the same thing about utd and the champions League...he had to adjust his tactics too....Southgate has done the same: gone from blood and thunder of previous regimes and going out in a blaze of glory to more calm, mathodical approach. There's always exceptions and I'm generalising but that is the gist of it....I was responding to claims of his tactical ineptitude.

Southgate has done the same: gone from blood and thunder of previous regimes and going out in a blaze of glory to more calm, mathodical approach.
you what?!

Capello and Hodgson being described as blood and thunder football is hilarious.

2010 World Cup we scored 3 goals in 2 games.
Euro 2012 we scored 5 in 4.
2014 World Cup scored 2 in 3
Euro 2016 scored 4 in 4.

Like, what exactly are you on about?

A blaze of glory. lol.

We have incredible players who are able to overcome the tactical ineptitude of the manager.

Imagine this side with Bielsa.
We've moved away from gung ho football that looks pretty and wins not very much. Southgate has taken us to a calmer place and used tactics to beat teams (sometimes it doesn't work sure). Tactical ineptitude would be what Jose did soooo many times where he wouldn't make changes we all saw were necessary after 15 mins.

I thing GS has done ok but I get it's not to your liking ...I didn't enjoy the game much yesterday at all but happy to win.
Bielsa is just as inept in an entirely opposite way to the way you claim GS is.

you what?!

Euro 2016 scored 4 in 4.

A blaze of glory. lol.
But the attitude from supporters was go out and smash em and they tried to bow to that.

Examples of tactical ineptitude...

He played Trippier, our best RB at LB whilst Luke Shaw, our best player last night, didn't play.

Trippier and Shaw were phenomenal in their correct positions last night.

He also once put Harry Kane on corners.

We've moved away from gung ho football that looks pretty and wins not very much. Southgate has taken us to a calmer place and used tactics to beat teams (sometimes it doesn't work sure). Tactical ineptitude would be what Jose did soooo many times where he wouldn't make changes we all saw were necessary after 15 mins.

I thing GS has done ok but I get it's not to your liking ...I didn't enjoy the game much yesterday at all but happy to win.
Bielsa is just as inept in an entirely opposite way to the way you claim GS is.
Capello and Hodgson's England sides being gung ho.

Hilarious.

you what?!

Euro 2016 scored 4 in 4.

A blaze of glory. lol.
But the attitude from supporters was go out and smash em and they tried to bow to that
Examples of tactical ineptitude...

He played Trippier, our best RB at LB whilst Luke Shaw, our best player last night, didn't play.

Trippier and Shaw were phenomenal in their correct positions last night.

He also once put Harry Kane on corners.
Mistakes happen sure.

We are doing well in spite of him, not because of him.

He is riding the coattails of exceptional players.
Even im not his biggest fans but that's a cunt comment, we just beat Germany in the knockouts and kept a clean sheet, our 4th of the whole tournament, he deserves some recognition for that!
I would love to see him play more to our attacking strengths, but it seems to be working so far, so why change it?

whilst Luke Shaw, our best player last night
what you smoking mate? Luke shaw our best player? Come on, Maguire was better than him, the keeper was better than him, Jack was better than him when he come on, im sure you are more of an expert than Gary in football, but maybe his tactics have been to qualify top of the group and beat Germany, which unless im dreaming we have?

Even im not his biggest fans but that's a cunt comment, we just beat Germany in the knockouts and kept a clean sheet, our 4th of the whole tournament, he deserves some recognition for that!
I would love to see him play more to our attacking strengths, but it seems to be working so far, so why change it?
Yes, we beat Germany because he brought on the player we've all been begging to start.

Tactical ineptitude.

what you smoking mate? Luke shaw our best player? Come on, Maguire was better than him, the keeper was better than him, Jack was better than him when he come on, im sure you are more of an expert than Gary in football, but maybe his tactics have been to qualify top of the group and beat Germany, which unless im dreaming we have?
You're mistaking tactics with results.

You've just said yourself Grealish changed the game. We all knew that would happen, we all know he should be starting.

This

Back
Top Bottom