Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apparently back at start of March but yes he's missed over 2 months and he'd missed over a month of action before this injury.

Far too injury prone and if there's a problem just let him fix it rather than rushing him back. We don't want Lamela 2.0
This is why we need better depth. Mourinho and staff probably rush him back because the depth at MF is poor quality.

This is why we need better depth. Mourinho and staff probably rush him back because the depth at MF is poor quality.
TBF he is almost halfway through his 2nd full month of being on the injured list so I'd say he isn't being rushed back.

But we could definitely do with boosting the midfield some. Especially if this will become a repeat thing for Gio like it is for Lamela.

Erm we have a full squad already so no more room for extra players.

This season Lo Celso has been Ndombele's alternate, problem very simply has been he's never fit.

His stats this season are :

PL - started 4 matches (and subbed on in 7 matches) Playing time 428 minutes (less than 5 matches)
EL - started 6 matches (and subbed on in 2 matches) Playing time 456 minutes ( 5 matches)

Domestic Cups - Injured, no minutes

Between Lamela and Lo Celso, they haven't played enough times to justify being one player !

I love the player and he is exactly what we need but at some point that doesn't matter if he can't get on the field.

As much as I hate to lose him, if there is a good offer for him I would consider moving him, especially if we are keeping Jose around as Jose seems unwilling to play him and Ndombele together so he is wasted under Jose.

We definitely need a player, or 2, like him in our squad so if we do move him need to replace him with a similar player.

We won’t buy a world class player like he has the raw talent to be so we must gamble on him overcoming fitness issues and becoming very good if it’s in a year or a couple.

We won’t buy a world class player like he has the raw talent to be so we must gamble on him overcoming fitness issues and becoming very good if it’s in a year or a couple.

It doesn't have to be world class, right now, to work out for us.

Guys like Eze and Benrahma from last year would be great for us this year. I think adding a Buendia (Norwich) or Periera (WBA) also could be cheap(ish) good moves to replace him.

There are likely a lot of good young players on the continent as well that we could bring in.

It would be nice to replace GLC with Messi but I think there are other options we can afford and improve our team.

As much as I hate to lose him, if there is a good offer for him I would consider moving him, especially if we are keeping Jose around as Jose seems unwilling to play him and Ndombele together so he is wasted under Jose.
They can because Ndombele has now been moved to CM.

Many on here gave up on Ndombele too.

I don't think Ndombele ever had the injury problems that GLC is showing.

If he is healthy then I am 100% on board with keeping him, but his hamstring/groin issues that he is repeatedly having seem like they are recurring and potentially an ongoing problem he will have.

It doesn't have to be world class, right now, to work out for us.

Guys like Eze and Benrahma from last year would be great for us this year. I think adding a Buendia (Norwich) or Periera (WBA) also could be cheap(ish) good moves to replace him.

There are likely a lot of good young players on the continent as well that we could bring in.

It would be nice to replace GLC with Messi but I think there are other options we can afford and improve our team.
Eze is no better than Bergwijn is or would be if allowed to play every game in Crystal Palace and have comfort of only praise when his team sits 13th in the league.
Mind you we invested in Sessegnon, Clarke.
We made our commitments and won’t be getting new prospects every season and dumping ones that didn’t score 10 goals in their first season.
Lo Celso is another story, his ceiling is very high. You can see the glimpses of a world class player there.
You don’t get rid of players like that when they’re still young because of barely two month injury and some other minor issues before. If we operated like that Son and numerous other best players that we’ve had in past years would’ve been sold before they came any good.

Edit Mind you also we loaned Lo Celso with an option to buy and when we decided to buy not many argued it was a wrong decision as we all seen what he can become.
Not that much has changed since I’d argue that our poor run of form is at least a bit because we cannot use him right now

Last edited:
Eze is no better than Bergwijn is or would be if allowed to play every game in Crystal Palace and have comfort of only praise when his team sits 13th in the league.
Mind you we invested in Sessegnon, Clarke.
We made our commitments and won’t be getting new prospects every season and dumping ones that didn’t score 10 goals in their first season.
Lo Celso is another story, his ceiling is very high. You can see the glimpses of a world class player there.
You don’t get rid of players like that when they’re still young because of barely two month injury and some other minor issues before. If we operated like that Son and numerous other best players that we’ve had in past years would’ve been sold before they came any good.

It is debatable whether or not he is better than Bergwijn, I think Bergwijn before coming here was equal or better, but since coming here has not been better at all. Whether that he is because of him, Jose or a combination it is tough to say.

But Eze over Bergwijn helps us in a few ways. One he is HG, two were are talking about replacing GLC and Eze plays in the middle, Bergwijn maybe could, but shouldn't play in that role. Eze is a better passer/creative which is what we are currently really lacking in the team.

But I am fine having both in the line-up so not sure why we need to compare the two.

I am as big a GLC fan as there is on this site but a. it isn't dumping him and b. it isn't a two month injury, He struggled with injuries last season and now this year as well. These aren't freak breaks but recurrent muscles injuries that make it more concerning.

Son breaking his arm likely isn't happening again, but guys who are consistently having issues with their groin/hamstrings to have those problems over and over again. That is where my concern comes from. Ideally he heals and never has the problem again but over two seasons and multiple issues that never seem to fully heal is concerning.

I am as big a GLC fan as there is
Let’s wish him an speedy recovery then and judge him by his performances when he is back soon.
Eze is quality but how would you get him to come to a team with France, Argentina and England internationals he will have to compete with in his first PL season?
Or could he guess we will have two out of three injured at the same time and still favoured him over N’Dombele or maybe dropped Bale or Son (as we imagined as starters) to accommodate him.
It’s unfortunate but sometimes teams like Crystal Palace can benefit from what can they offer to those talents, a perfect stepping stone. Maybe Sessegnon would be flying there if they signed him too at a time.

But let’s drop that’s as it’s a player thread not ‘who would we replace him with’ or ‘who should we have instead with a hindsight’ thread

Can't wait for him to come back into the team now we have Ndombele and Hojbjerg double pivot.

Shame his injury happened as he had that lovely assist against Liverpool and then got injured the following gme.

Let’s wish him an speedy recovery then and judge him by his performances when he is back soon.
Eze is quality but how would you get him to come to a team with France, Argentina and England internationals he will have to compete with in his first PL season?
Or could he guess we will have two out of three injured at the same time and still favoured him over N’Dombele or maybe dropped Bale or Son (as we imagined as starters) to accommodate him.
It’s unfortunate but sometimes teams like Crystal Palace can benefit from what can they offer to those talents, a perfect stepping stone. Maybe Sessegnon would be flying there if they signed him too at a time.

You would get him to come by offering him a chance to play in Europe, compete for trophies and increase his profile playing for a much bigger club.

Back
Top Bottom