Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's fragile to begin with but he also missed pre-season and has not really built up his condition after so many smaller injuries. Not going to be easy to get him into the starting XI regularly until he becomes more robust.

I think he can be a really good player for us but you look at his output/injuries compared to Bruno Fernandes, who we passed on in favour of the cheaper Gio, it's a bit worrying. 1 goal and 3 assists in his PL career so far, when he's fit he needs to start producing the goods. We can't wait forever, we already have one Lamela and we don't need another one.

Interesting that Bruno gave an interview recently in which he said he was far closer to joining Spurs than ManU in the summer 18 months ago.

Obviously we made the wrong choice that summer

Interesting that Bruno gave an interview recently in which he said he was far closer to joining Spurs than ManU in the summer 18 months ago.

wrong choices piling up tbh.

Could have had tielmans for under 40m, Poch threw a huff and we ended up getting no one.

Couldn't get De Ligt so splashed out on Sanchez, seemingly without ever scouting him.

Lost out on Sancho and repeated the De Ligt/Sanchez mistake with Sessegnon. Seemingly now put off by championship wingers, we didn't even try for Eze or Bowen, who were linked to for some time. Instead went for Berg and Bale.

Grealish.

Linked to Castagne, but for whatever reason ($$$) went for Doherty.

And of course Fernandes/Lo Celso.

Only one we got right was PEH and Regui to a degree, but I don't think we were linked with anyone else better.

Again.

No guarantees Fernandes would come here and perform anywhere near the level he has at United.

He wouldn't be taken penalties.
He would be in a team that attacks fluently.
He wouldn't be the main man.

However, it's nice to see how many people are absolutely licking Grealish's arse now that he is playing Premier League football.

I remember back when I said we should sign him in the Championship and was told he wasn't good enough because he was still playing championship football lol.

Also laugh at those who complain about people like Ndombele's defensive work, yet also want Grealish.

Again.

No guarantees Fernandes would come here and perform anywhere near the level he has at United.

He wouldn't be taken penalties.
He would be in a team that attacks fluently.
He wouldn't be the main man.

However, it's nice to see how many people are absolutely licking Grealish's arse now that he is playing Premier League football.

I remember back when I said we should sign him in the Championship and was told he wasn't good enough because he was still playing championship football lol.

Also laugh at those who complain about people like Ndombele's defensive work, yet also want Grealish.
I understand hesitation with wanting to sign someone from a lower league. Bringing them up too early could hurt their careers. I won’t fault someone for that reasoning but people complaining of their work rate are just trying to pick lazy insults to throw.

I wanted Eze last season. I know it is a risk and people were hesitant about the step from QPR to us but I’m always willing to take a punt on a young talented player.

I like what Gio can bring to us as a player but it really does seem as if he's made of breadsticks. I expect that surely there needs to be some change to his conditioning and rehab from this injury because his fragility is becoming a bit silly at this stage. I get that we could have signed someone better, but I do think he has elite attributes and it's on him and the staff to get him fit and show it on the field consistently.

The Christmas party stuff is unacceptable, really let down their teams mates. As bad is the stupidity in allowing it to be photographed and publicised.

He's quite similar to Lamela in some ways. It's easy to see the talent, but overall he seems like an 'almost'-player. His passing is almost great, he's almost quick enough, his dribbling is almost fantastic, he almost scores goals and is almost fit most of the time.

I like what Gio can bring to us as a player but it really does seem as if he's made of breadsticks. I expect that surely there needs to be some change to his conditioning and rehab from this injury because his fragility is becoming a bit silly at this stage. I get that we could have signed someone better, but I do think he has elite attributes and it's on him and the staff to get him fit and show it on the field consistently.

The Christmas party stuff is unacceptable, really let down their teams mates. As bad is the stupidity in allowing it to be photographed and publicised.

This season :

PL - Started 4 games (but finished none), subbed on in another 7 matches - 436 minutes played
EL Qualifying - Started 2 (finished one), subbed on once - 166 minutes played
EL Group Stages - Started 4 (finished one), subbed on once, - 290 minutes played

So he's only played 90 minutes twice this season, total 892 minutes from 19 appearances contributing 5 goals and once assist.

So its not just the games he's missed this season which is a problem - its the fact that he's rarely able to finish a match, and whilst some might be tactical substitutions, I just don't think he's shown enough fitness consistently.

By comparison last season (when he was not fit until late November) :
PL 28 appearances - total 1486 minutes
CL 4 appearances - total 332 minutes
FA Cup 4 appearances - total 354 minutes
He wasn't selected for a few matches (not fit enough ?), but scored 2 goals with 3 assists.

I thought that last season he was injury hit, but this season is even worse.

I fear he's like Sergei Rebrov who was never fit enough to play the number and frequency of high intensity games in English top league - either because of a slight frame or he's not dedicated enough/professional enough to ensure he's always on 'top form'. Or he's trying to emulate Lamela

He's quite similar to Lamela in some ways. It's easy to see the talent, but overall he seems like an 'almost'-player. His passing is almost great, he's almost quick enough, his dribbling is almost fantastic, he almost scores goals and is almost fit most of the time.
Lo Celso has already shown more talent for the footballing side of football than Lamela.

We're really impatient with our signings.

Shocking if true but not surprised at Levy in the slightest - same with Castagne, Skrinniar, Dybala, etc. We got the TKMaxx versions instead and it is now beginning to show badly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom