Good article on soccer in USA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Backham rule can be changed tomorrow. You mention it like its an 11th commandment.

If stats didn't show popularity of soccer in America is on the rise. Pretty much what Jay said, popularity equates to big business, big business equates to money spent, money spent equates to top players in the world to bring in TV and ticket revenue.

It might be arrogance sure. I see nothing wrong with that. To be honest, I find it ignorant that you can't grasp that it could happen.

Like I said, sooner or later. It could be 20 years from now or 50 years from now. But I believe it will happen. Agree to disagree.
The Backham Rule as you put it, is a rule brought in by the MLS. Nowhere did make it sound like an 11th commandment. As an 'E' is nowhere near an 'A' on a keyboard, I will put it down to ignorance, and not fat fingers. If you're going to argue mate, get your terminology right - you guys freak me out with your sense of entitlement.

The USA nation team will be a footbaling force sometime in the future Im sure. Whereas domestically they will always struggle. IMO. ?

So, they will have a good national team...meaning good domestic players, that have come through the youth ranks...yet a shit league? Doesn't quite add up.

Teams who tend to win the world cup (Germany, Spain etc) tend to have strong youth players and so a strong league.

The Backham Rule as you put it, is a rule brought in by the MLS. Nowhere did make it sound like an 11th commandment. As an 'E' is nowhere near an 'A' on a keyboard, I will put it down to ignorance, and not fat fingers. If you're going to argue mate, get your terminology right - you guys freak me out with your sense of entitlement.
you made it sound like the beckham rule is set in stone, like a commandmEnt. Its almost like you're taking this personal as if I'm saying The Premier League is going to suck, MLS rulezz!!

Sooner or later (more than likely later) MLS will be on the world market buying top players. You can agree to disagree with that.

What does America not have; the UEFA Champions League. Therefore, the MLS will not be top 4 league in at least the next 20 years. 50 years? Who knows, will America even still be a country?

Holy shit, what a revelation! The MLS doesn't have a European only cup which has nothing to do with domestic leagues? Thanks for your entirely relevant input, this explains perfectly why their DOMESTIC league will never be good! While we're at it, they don't have a Europa league either, so they're completely fucked! :eriksenlol:

What's your beef with the US

Don't ever ask that. We'll be here all week.

Think it's safe to say in many global polls, the majority of the world hate America. Many here are blurring that hate with the thought of you having a good league, which is entirely possible.

Holy shit, what a revelation! The MLS doesn't have a European only cup which has nothing to do with domestic leagues? Thanks for your entirely relevant input, this explains perfectly why their DOMESTIC league will never be good! While we're at it, they don't have a Europa league either, so they're completely fucked! :eriksenlol:

Forget that, America may disappear!!!!! :adeohshit:

Baffles me how people can say football won't become big in America. Anything that can make money or that's remotely capitalist gets abused and conquered, eventually.

What do you need for a top league? Money.

What does America love? Money.

You don't need history. You don't need top stadiums. You don't need fantastic fans. You need high wages and big transfers.

All it takes is a few rule changes, a few more million viewers and players would flock there.."I've always supported LA Galaxy since I was a kid, they're one of the biggest clubs in the world" said a 33 year old Messi, after signing a 5 year contract, worth £25 mil.
People say it won't become big in America because it hasn't become big in America. I actually think in time it may happen. It's just not inevitable, like football fans in the US tend to think.

There are basic parts of the game that simply do not comport with the traditional American sporting ethos. For example, Americans generally loathe draws. I grew up a fan of a league called the MISL, which was a professional indoor league in the '80's. Believe it or not, an indoor league was actually the biggest and best professional football in the United States at the time. The league eliminated draws entirely, and the typical game would have 2 - 3 times as many goals as a traditional football match. If my memory is correct, during some seasons shots from distance were worth two goals. The NASL, which was the top tier outdoor league until the mid '80's, also eliminated draws and had this goofy shootout system, where the shooter got an unimpeded breakaway on the goalie from 35 yards out for five seconds. They also awarded extra points in the league standing for scoring a certain number of goals (I don't remember all of the details), to encourage attacking football, even at the expense of sound defense, because the belief is that Americans generally will not appreciate a low scoring game.

If history is any guide (and it may not be) the people who have invested money in football in the US, have consistently determined that the game needs to be changed in fundamental ways to become popular. Now, that may not always be the case. The youth development system has improved tremendously and there has been such an increase in immigration from Latin America and Asia, that there very well could be a significant enough fan base for "real" football, that a professional league could flourish here in time. Or maybe it won't. But it is not a foregone conclusion.

Considering your country is only 220 or so years old, that equates to almost a quarter of your existence. If you look at each quarter independently, I'd imagine you'd see some absolutely huge changes you wouldn't expect. I'd imagine the most probable reason for you not existing as a country would be break away states, rather than nuclear war etc. It's not unimaginable.

Just curious, why would you want America to not be into the sport?

What's your beef with the US and the sport?
Again, I didn't say that. My beef is with people like you that think it's inevitable that the MLS will be the top league in the world as of right. Don't worry though, I've had plenty of dim yanks playing the patriot card. My beef, junior, is with your arrogant self - not your wonderful country.

. The top players want to play in the top competition

Weird. Falcao, one of the best strikers in the world at the time, and Moutinho moved to Monaco when they weren't in the Champions League :adeohshit:

Many players want money/fame and don't give a shit. Look at Anzhi, Monaco, Chelsea, PSG, Zenit and others who at some point recruited top class talent without being in the Champions League.

You're going to get the odd player who has a dream to play for a certain club, who likes the European tradition and so on, but money usually wins out. And America have that in spades; just a matter of changing rules.

Xavier Xavier , if you're going to disagree may be an idea to say what about.

The fact your country is 220 years old? It is.
The fact 50 years is almost a quarter? It is.
The fact history is completely random and bizarre? It is.
The fact that in group-states, like the Bavarian Empire and the Bohemian Empire, states break away? They do.

Either your maths is shit, you think you can predict the future or you know nothing about history and politics. Take your pick.

Xavier Xavier , if you're going to disagree may be an idea to say what about.

The fact your country is 220 years old? It is.
The fact 50 years is almost a quarter? It is.
The fact history is completely random and bizarre? It is.
The fact that in group-states, like the Bavarian Empire and the Bohemian Empire, states break away? They do.

Either your maths is shit, you think you can predict the future or you know nothing about history and politics. Take your pick.

Whatever man, I live in the US and I don't see states breaking apart. I'm not saying I'm a savant on politics or history. I can't predict the future either. But, I can still have an opinion, uneducated and all.

How do you expect to be perceived? You are the Johnny Come Lately's to the world party (but more than welcome) - and 10 minutes later you're saying it's inevitable that you will be the major football country. It's this kind of arrogance that the rest of the world hates. You sneaky slide on here with a few reasonable comments, and then go all fucking Rambo when you think people aren't looking. I give up to be honest - you just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom