Good article on soccer in USA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not true SoCal. Maybe not in Southern California. But it happens elsewhere. That bitch Ann Coulter wrote a column about it during the World Cup.
Ahh yes, how could I forget that article. Ok, I'll give that one to you for sure, even though that psycho hose beast speaks for about 13 people in this country.

The point about football in Britain is that it is not just a sport people take to, like cricket or tennis or running long distances. It is inherent in the people. It is built into the urban psyche. It is not a phenomenon; it is an everyday matter. There is more eccentricity in deliberately disregarding it than in devoting a life to it. Its sudden withdrawal from the people would bring deeper disconsolation than to deprive them of television. The way we play the game, organise it and reward it reflects the kind of community we are.

That's why I do. Why do you? - you seem to be a cynical sort.
This is the best, most articulate post I've ever read here. I don't live in England, but I understand it as my community has a similar relationship with American football.

That's why I do. Why do you? - you seem to be a cynical sort.

I never watched or played it until I was older; grew up in a house full of women who had no interest in it. I remember watching the 2010 world cup and finding it wasn't anywhere near as simple as I thought it was. There was geometry in it, patterns and I realised it was a mix between science and art, as shitty as that may sound. It was complicated, almost entirely unpredictable and I just found it interesting. It was something to learn.

I just started watching English teams from that point on, trying to decide on who I wanted to support; I didn't want to just pick a team based on location, like Man City. I started supporting us in our first Champions League campaign, I was oblivious to how important it was and literally knew nothing, but we played beautifully and some times when a move comes off or a skill or when your team is utterly dominating you get a strange adrenalin rush, a sort of excitement and pride in equal measure.

I think the most endearing thing is how strangely emotional it is to support a team. You go from being entirely pessimistic, to sticking up for them, to being numb and pretending not to care. It's more than just a hobby, it's a quasi-relationship.

I think it brings out the same sort of feelings you feel for your country, a microcosm of society within 90 minutes and all the consequences of that.

Last edited:
This is the best, most articulate post I've ever read here. I don't live in England, but I understand it as my community has a similar relationship with American football.
Well I can't take any credit for it. It is a quote from Arthur Hopcraft from the excellent book - The Football Men. It's lovely isn't it?

Looking at football in england, and NFL in america.
I see the two at complete polar opposites.
this morning I watched the cowboys beat the lions in the cowboys stadium that looks fucking amazing, bright lights, the massive tv screen and loud music being blasted between every play.
Take the largest club and club stadium in england, man utd at old trafford for example.
When they win a champions league quarter final after the whistle you'll see the players celebrating with the fans, the fans chanting, the team song is played etc..
when the cowboys won their wildcard playoff I saw bright flashing lights, loud music, Romo when straight to a tv interview and Dez Bryant was walking straight back down the tunnel carrying on like a fuckwit and jumping around and pushing everyone in sight and then there was Jerry Jones walking into to the players locker room.

I don't doubt the fans passion for their NFL team, but for me it just looks like a pure money making industry and it's all about how can we have as much lights, music and make it look like a hollywood film as much as possible

t just looks like a pure money making industry and it's all about how can we have as much lights, music and make it look like a hollywood film as much as possible

American society in a nutshell. This seems to apply to virtually every aspect of life. The biggest, the loudest, the best, the longest, the first...very little character or culture to be found in pride and a dollar sign.

American society in a nutshell. This seems to apply to virtually every aspect of life. The biggest, the loudest, the best, the longest, the first...very little character or culture to be found in pride and a dollar sign.
You know nothing about American culture.

I like how this thread went from an ill fated MLS discussion to shit on American character and culture.

Mate you sound like a rootless individual. Where are you from, and where are you now?

love the paragraph on the Gooners as well
"Up the road at the Blind Pig are the youngest, most well-heeled group I meet: Woolwich. Truly, these are Wenger’s children: they howl when a Southampton player dares to make a tackle rather than standing back respectfully to allow Woolwich’s bloodless technocrats to do their thing. Some of them came to soccer by playing the Electronic Arts Fifa video games; others via the admiration of particular top-class players. “Fabregas for me, though it pains me to say it now,” one college student says. The joys of Tony Adams with his arm raised or Peter Storey kicking a winger up in the air are, to these fresh-faced neophytes, a closed history book."

It has to be said, our American fans always come over as more intelligent than our English ones, but no way as clever as our Scandinavian fans - and as for our Aussie fans? I'm with you guys.

Looking at football in england, and NFL in america.
I see the two at complete polar opposites.
this morning I watched the cowboys beat the lions in the cowboys stadium that looks fucking amazing, bright lights, the massive tv screen and loud music being blasted between every play.
Take the largest club and club stadium in england, man utd at old trafford for example.
When they win a champions league quarter final after the whistle you'll see the players celebrating with the fans, the fans chanting, the team song is played etc..
when the cowboys won their wildcard playoff I saw bright flashing lights, loud music, Romo when straight to a tv interview and Dez Bryant was walking straight back down the tunnel carrying on like a fuckwit and jumping around and pushing everyone in sight and then there was Jerry Jones walking into to the players locker room.

I don't doubt the fans passion for their NFL team, but for me it just looks like a pure money making industry and it's all about how can we have as much lights, music and make it look like a hollywood film as much as possible
Not everywhere. In my city, the owner lives in the working class neighborhood where the stadium is located and walks there every game day. His father started the team more than 80 years ago. The connection between the city and the team is visceral. It kept the community united when the steel industry collapsed in the 70's and 80's and everyone lost their jobs. Here is a Super Bowl celebration a few years back.
Steelers_Super_Bowl_Parade.jpg

is soccer more popular on the west coast because of the mexicans??
I've never seen any stats or maps but I could assume it's more popular or at least acceptable in the Southwestern part of the US. Though most Mexicans in America (originally from Mexico) still are hardcore Liga MX supporters and could care less about MLS. Evidence of this is the horrible experiment of that now non-existent shithead team in Chivas USA. What a failure.

Mate you sound like a rootless individual. Where are you from, and where are you now?

You know where I'm from and you've brought it up several different times. Hell, I even mentioned it in the last page.

Not rootless, just a complete lack of love for America, Americans and American culture in general. "Bright lights, music blaring, straight to the interview, making it as Hollywood as possible as if it was some money making racket" isn't some sudden Eureka moment, it's the norm and can be seen in every facet of their society. Everything is for sale, everything is loud and nothing is delicate, nothing is cultured, nothing is private.

This is a country whose MOTM announcement is sponsored. Where the team news is sponsored. Where the half time highlights are sponsored. It's just a money milking machine.

Back
Top Bottom