Good article on soccer in USA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You said you have a problem with the bits in quotes. The bits in quotes was paraphrasing Southern. I extend this quote to American society. You now have a problem. Make up your mind, you either do have a problem with " " or you don't.

Saying I have no love for Americans isn't a sweeping statement. It's an opinion. If I said all Americans are stupid, this is a sweeping statement. Considering I defined you with no adjective it can't be a sweeping statement.

I don't like oranges. Not sweeping.
Oranges are shit. Sweeping.
I was referring to the portion of your statement that I quoted. I only have a problem with you saying that you have no love for Americans. From your posts, I understand that you hate consumerism. Guess what? I do too. Lots and lots of Americans hate consumerism. Why have no love for those Americans? I hate classism, and titles of nobility and the notion of monarchy. But I have lots of love for many English people. Because, you see, I have the ability to differentiate a national policy, or an general understanding of a national trend, from my judgement of individual human beings. However, I have no love for people who cannot see past stereotypes of race, religion or national origin when evaluating others.

Cricklewood. NW2.

That doesn't sound like something someone from Cricklewood would say :dembele:

you've become a fucking expert on Tottenham pretty fucking quickly

I appreciate the compliment, but I've never claimed to be an expert. Although 4 years, 1300 days or so, is a pretty long time to learn. The common consensus is it takes a person 10,000 hours to master something, which is 416 days. Probably why you're such a good drunk :holtbytongue:

The growth is palpable, but it is far from a critical mass at this point. Even 5 years ago, it was damn near impossible to find someone who cared about or was knowledgeable about the game. Even if people don't care so much, they take an extra minute to read some headlines they would have passed over before. If they are sitting around at home and see a game on, they may turn it on now for a few minutes. I travel somewhat frequently and it is not uncommon to go into a restaurant and to see a game on if it happens to be playing. Those are not huge changes, but this wouldn't have happened even 5-10 years ago.

Debatable. I've not defined any single person or talked about the people; I've defined the society.

Russians are rude. Sweeping.
Russian society is abrupt. Not sweeping.

So you have a problem with American society but not American people. You're fucked up.

Debatable. I've not defined any single person or talked about the people; I've defined the society.

Russians are rude. Sweeping.
Russian society is abrupt. Not sweeping.
Look at the portion I quoted. You said that you have no love for America, AMERICANS, or American culture.

However, I have no love for people who cannot see past stereotypes of race, religion or national origin when evaluating others.

That's cute, petal. You done lecturing me on an internet forum about football, over my opinion of another society yet? You're making straw men, which turns a debate into a zealous rant.

I think base things are at the heart of America, more so than any other country.

I think money and materialism are central to America and its culture and it's way of life. If you disagree with that, then this isn't really going to go beyond disagreeing. If you do agree with that then the counter argument would be, "Well, isn't that the same for every country?". The answer to that would be no.

As far as I'm aware, no other country has a day specifically dedicated to consumerism. No other country uses films as a money making machine to the extent that America does, where it's less of an art and more of a business. America has the worst food laws in the Western World, because it's cheap, it makes food colourful and it makes money, but it's still poison. No other country has so many people who inject their asses with silicone, just to sing about, surprise, surprise, materialism. No other country felt the need to invent canned laughter, to inform people of what's funny or not etc.

I view America as a country that doesn't really have an identity, lacks culture beside consumerism and pride and doesn't understand delicacy or privacy or being subtle. As I've said, everything is for sale and that diminishes a great deal. If you disagree with that, cool, but there you go.
I think you sound like most people my wife and I have met in our travels...the common theme is we don't like Americans, but you guys are great. The reality is we are common Americans, and European culture has its generalized flaws as well. How are those bank holidays and what movies do you watch mate? How often have you hit kfc or mcd's for a crap (but cheap) meal...we have a great deal of culture, mostly new based in our struggle for civil rights and vast geographical separation. We have a tremendous identity that you may not like, but seems far more inclusive than having to read a paper at the start of a uefa game on race tolerance. We may be imperfect, but, more than most in my experience, we recognize that and try to improve.

Jay, while I agree with a lot of what you say about American culture, you should change 'I don't like Americans', to I don't like mainstream American culture. Then a lot of Americans would probably agree with you. I had quite an anti-American feeling until I moved abroad. As an ex-pat you generally live in a community of English speaking people. From meeting Americans they are a very diverse bunch

People seem to be assuming here I'm stereotyping their people, due to my views on their society. The two are different things. I clearly said before someone from New York is different from someone in Dallas, despite having things in common.

Either way, I've yet to meet an American I like or enjoy spending my time with. Tend to be overly fanatical, as this forum has proven.

So you have a problem with American society but not American people. You're fucked up.

Sigh. Let me explain our conversation so far.

>American Society is loud
>That is sweeping
>It isn't sweeping, because it's not talking about people.
>Problem with culture, no problem with American people. You're fucked up.

Not really understanding that last jump there, pal. I simply corrected your definition of sweeping, which was blatantly wrong. I explained it in two separate examples and it still seems over your head.

Again, you seem to be confusing society with people and assuming they're the same, they're not. As I've said; I don't like the culture and I've yet to meet an American I like either. Not really understanding the lack of comprehension here

That doesn't sound like something someone from Cricklewood would say :dembele:

I appreciate the compliment, but I've never claimed to be an expert. Although 4 years, 1300 days or so, is a pretty long time to learn. The common consensus is it takes a person 10,000 hours to master something, which is 416 days. Probably why you're such a good drunk :holtbytongue:
Pathetic - I must be drunk to disagree with you. That's your only out isn't it? The reason that you come over as such a cunt is that you resort to insults to cover for your pathetic media driven knowledge of Spurs. You've been following English teams since 2010? Give me a break - you're as Mancunian as Oz Hotspur. Fucking comedian.

That's cute, petal. You done lecturing me on an internet forum about football, over my opinion of another society yet? You're making straw men, which turns a debate into a zealous rant.
The English are not biggots. Jayc1 is a biggot. That's how you should make deterimations, petal. Now get out of your basement, go upstairs, wake up mom and your sisters and tell them that they've raised a biggot, you small minded, piece of shit.

That's your only out isn't it?

My "Out"..? From what exactly? Your accusations, which burn me to the bone and make me cry at night?

The reason that you come over as such a cunt is that you resort to insults

The paradox of your statement made me chuckle, thanks for that. It was a tongue in cheek comment, aimed at avoiding a cuntoff and a rant.

your pathetic media driven knowledge of Spurs.

Unless I speak to the manager or I'm some form of "inside man", I'd imagine the only knowledge I can get about Spurs is media driven. Watching a stream is Media driven. Reading articles is media driven. Reading a biography is Media driven. Explain to me how my knowledge could NOT be media driven?

You've been following English teams since 2010? Give me a break

Not everyone gets the opportunity to watch football at a young age, has a dad to take them to games, has a tv to watch games on, a console to play fifa on and so on. Not every child, as amazing as this may sound, is born into football.

People seem to be assuming here I'm stereotyping their people, due to my views on their society. The two are different things. I clearly said before someone from New York is different from someone in Dallas, despite having things in common.

Either way, I've yet to meet an American I like or enjoy spending my time with. Tend to be overly fanatical, as this forum has proven.
Oh, I'm sure they just loved spending time with you though.

The English are not biggots. Jayc1 is a biggot. That's how you should make deterimations, petal. Now get out of your basement, go upstairs, wake up mom and your sisters and tell them that they've raised a biggot, you small minded, piece of shit.

Again with the paradox. I disagree, I'm a bigot. Therefore you insult me, degrade me, belittle me because I disagree, which makes you a bigot in turn.

bigot
ˈbɪɡət/
noun
noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots
a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

From your above comment, you're most assuredly a bigot. I've so far not had a view with people holding different views; I simply commented I don't like American culture or Americans. As I said before; fanatical, zealous and almost witch-hunt like. You've really changed my view and enlightened me, by calling me a cunt :townhmm:

Do the MLS teams play in a north american confederation (isn't some long abbreviation like concafcaf or something like that?) champions league against the mexicans and canadians ?
how do they usually go?
CONCACAF is our UEFA. And it's all of North America. MLS teams blow but every year we are progressively getting better and I feel (call it good ol fashioned American arrogance aye Joe Clash Joe Clash ) that a MLS team will win it soon. We're getting closer and closer.

In 2016 the Copa America (South America's Euro Cup) will include North America also which is great for the USMNT.

Back
Top Bottom