Good article on soccer in USA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've never seen any stats or maps but I could assume it's more popular or at least acceptable in the Southwestern part of the US. Though most Mexicans in America (originally from Mexico) still are hardcore Liga MX supporters and could care less about MLS. Evidence of this is the horrible experiment of that now non-existent shithead team in Chivas USA. What a failure.
I think most of us yanks recognize that the mls is a lesser league than most in Europe, but is coming along due to financial responsibility and soccer specific stadiums. As such, soccer is growing in the us, as evidenced by espn, NBC, fox sports, and beIn sports carrying live matches from around the world (albeit mostly Europe). While an mls championship may not compare yet to the uefa champions league final or the World Series, the numbers do suggest that it is growing in the us. Anecdotally, I recent watched the match v Chelsea in Birmingham Alabama at a bar while college football games were on, not only did I not get mocked for watching, a number of casual fans watched our match vice the auburn (another, lesser, school in Alabama) game...bottom line, soccer (or real football) is growing in the U.S. and I think in the next 10 years this conversation will have a very different tenor.

Not everywhere. In my city, the owner lives in the working class neighborhood where the stadium is located and walks there every game day. His father started the team more than 80 years ago. The connection between the city and the team is visceral. It kept the community united when the steel industry collapsed in the 70's and 80's and everyone lost their jobs. Here is a Super Bowl celebration a few years back.
Steelers_Super_Bowl_Parade.jpg
They were fairly ordinary against the ravens yesterday lol

You know where I'm from and you've brought it up several different times. Hell, I even mentioned it in the last page.

Not rootless, just a complete lack of love for America, Americans and American culture in general. "Bright lights, music blaring, straight to the interview, making it as Hollywood as possible as if it was some money making racket" isn't some sudden Eureka moment, it's the norm and can be seen in every facet of their society. Everything is for sale, everything is loud and nothing is delicate, nothing is cultured, nothing is private.
As far as I can see you grew up with some girls, but you didn't mention where you're from. It's ok, I don't really want to know. Stay friendly.

Do the MLS teams play in a north american confederation (isn't some long abbreviation like concafcaf or something like that?) champions league against the mexicans and canadians ?
how do they usually go?

As far as I can see you grew up with some girls, but you didn't mention where you're from. It's ok, I don't really want to know. Stay friendly.

You've had one too many, or you're going senile. Why would I randomly throw in Man City into that paragraph. Why would you randomly call me a Manc, several times in different posts? You even attempted banter about it in the Burnley match thread. Two and two together and...

I'm from Manchester. I live in Manchester. Happy?

just a complete lack of love for...Americans

As an American myself, I've got no problem with what you've written, except for the quoted portion. If you can't recognize that 300 million people can't be fit neatly into whatever stereotype you've latched on to, you're even more sad than your posts on here have indicated.

Do the MLS teams play in a north american confederation (isn't some long abbreviation like concafcaf or something like that?) champions league against the mexicans and canadians ?
how do they usually go?

Also includes Panama, Cuba, Honduras...basically everyone in North America.

They usually do shite and lose to the Mexicans, who win it loads. In the past 6 years the best any MLS side has done is lose in the final; Mexico has won it all 6 times.

As an American myself, I've got no problem with what you've written, except for the quoted portion. If you can't recognize that 300 million people can't be fit neatly into whatever stereotype you've latched on to, you're even more sad than your posts on here have indicated.

I didn't write that bit in quotations. SouthernCross10 SouthernCross10 did.

Looking at football in england, and NFL in america.
I see the two at complete polar opposites.
this morning I watched the cowboys beat the lions in the cowboys stadium that looks fucking amazing, bright lights, the massive tv screen and loud music being blasted between every play.
Take the largest club and club stadium in england, man utd at old trafford for example.
When they win a champions league quarter final after the whistle you'll see the players celebrating with the fans, the fans chanting, the team song is played etc..
when the cowboys won their wildcard playoff I saw bright flashing lights, loud music, Romo when straight to a tv interview and Dez Bryant was walking straight back down the tunnel carrying on like a fuckwit and jumping around and pushing everyone in sight and then there was Jerry Jones walking into to the players locker room.

I don't doubt the fans passion for their NFL team, but for me it just looks like a pure money making industry and it's all about how can we have as much lights, music and make it look like a hollywood film as much as possible

:adethumbup:

And no, I don't think you can all have the same culture; someone in New York obviously has a far different life and view point than someone in Dallas. But there's still many cultural facets in common. Maybe if you lived in Europe for a few years you'd see my point, maybe not.

And no, I don't think you can all have the same culture; someone in New York obviously has a far different life and view point than someone in Dallas. But there's still many cultural facets in common. Maybe if you lived in Europe for a few years you'd see my point, maybe not.
I've lived in Europe for several years and fail to grasp your point...beyond easy cultural stereotypes...perhaps you can enlighten me?

What the fuck are you talking about? Am I missing something? As far as I can tell, you made the sweeping statement that you have no love for Americans.

I've lived in Europe for several years and fail to grasp your point...beyond easy cultural stereotypes...perhaps you can enlighten me?

I think base things are at the heart of America, more so than any other country.

I think money and materialism are central to America and its culture and it's way of life. If you disagree with that, then this isn't really going to go beyond disagreeing. If you do agree with that then the counter argument would be, "Well, isn't that the same for every country?". The answer to that would be no.

As far as I'm aware, no other country has a day specifically dedicated to consumerism. No other country uses films as a money making machine to the extent that America does, where it's less of an art and more of a business. America has the worst food laws in the Western World, because it's cheap, it makes food colourful and it makes money, but it's still poison. No other country has so many people who inject their asses with silicone, just to sing about, surprise, surprise, materialism. No other country felt the need to invent canned laughter, to inform people of what's funny or not etc.

I view America as a country that doesn't really have an identity, lacks culture beside consumerism and pride and doesn't understand delicacy or privacy or being subtle. As I've said, everything is for sale and that diminishes a great deal. If you disagree with that, cool, but there you go.

What the fuck are you talking about? Am I missing something? As far as I can tell, you made the sweeping statement that you have no love for Americans.

As an American myself, I've got no problem with what you've written, except for the quoted portion.

"Bright lights, music blaring, straight to the interview, making it as Hollywood as possible as if it was some money making racket"

I saw bright flashing lights, loud music, Romo when straight to a tv interview...it just looks like a pure money making industry and it's all about how can we have as much lights, music and make it look like a hollywood film as much as possible

You said you have a problem with the bits in quotes. The bits in quotes was paraphrasing Southern. I extend this quote to American society. You now have a problem. Make up your mind, you either do have a problem with " " or you don't.

Saying I have no love for Americans isn't a sweeping statement. It's an opinion. If I said all Americans are stupid, this is a sweeping statement. Considering I defined you with no adjective it can't be a sweeping statement.

I don't like oranges. Not sweeping.
Oranges are shit. Sweeping.

You've had one too many, or you're going senile. Why would I randomly throw in Man City into that paragraph. Why would you randomly call me a Manc, several times in different posts? You even attempted banter about it in the Burnley match thread. Two and two together and...

I'm from Manchester. I live in Manchester. Happy?
Oh fuck off Jayc, how am I going to remember 'attempted banter' in the Burnley thread? It's great that you live in Manchester, but your online personality is not so big that I'm going to remember every comment you've ever made. You say you started following English teams after the 2010 world cup? That doesn't sound like something an English bloke living in Manchester would say - you've become a fucking expert on Tottenham pretty fucking quickly - but it's me that's senile? Grow up and stop slaughtering everyone that disagrees with you. You don't know fuck all when the paper's scraped away, just another frustrated Manc with a London fixation.

If we are naming and shaming Joe, where are you from and where do you live? I am guessing Barking and somewhere in East London. More importantly why are you guys always up so late? I am guessing insomniacs or night workers
Cricklewood. NW2. And I'm not working till Tuesday night - not that's any concern to anyone FFS.

Back
Top Bottom