Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
Agree.

Instead of people thinking that Poch might actually have some faith in our players, people just assume that we had a host of world class players queing up with a contract and pen, and Levy said "NO".

As pointed out above, maybe Deepay didnt want to come...as highlighted by him signing a new FIVE YEAR DEAL at his current club.

Did we all miss the part where Southampton said that Schniderlin is NOT for sale....and kept him..? What should Levy do about that? Offer 45M for him?

Or how about us not wanting to pay 16-18M for Welbeck, and Welbeck refusing our loan offer and joining the gooners? Sensible from the club to miss out for that money IMO.

Stam was clearly the Sandro replacement. I guess Levys mistake was not selling Sandro first then signing Stam at 9pm last night, to make everyone spunk in their pants for the very same signing..

People moaned about the defence....we signed 5 at the back

Moaned about a DM...we signed one

They said Soldado will come good, 20+ goals this season....it was Sherwood who messed him up.

No one is talking about Soldado anymore....
enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif
Agreed. I must add that it's a really good experience to try to cheer for a team that actually has to try and work its way in to the nations top league. Nothing comes for free and you are always something like 15th in the queue for talented players. Spurs is originally my second team-crush/love; not because they are super popular, super successful, super rich or anything like that. I support Spurs because the philosophy is sensible and way more rewarding if/when we have a good break in different competitions. Nothing is granted - everything is possible. You have to support the guys that play with their hearts and wish for the team to succeed even if the janitor is playing as a striker.

Some seem to be, but without a world class strike force I don't think we have a chance in hell even united now have falcao and we seem to be expecting to remain above them. I think we now have good defensive players but still have weaknesses up front plus as you say it's pochs first season so 5th and a good cup run would be a good achievement.

But thats my point. Chucking money at a team that isnt a team yet doesnt solve anything.

Coaching, stability, familiarity and players who know eachother, and understand their roles will serve us a lot better than being in the same situation but throwing a top striker on top of it.

The midfield still needs to knit, and when it does, we will create and score more.

On another day, Ade and Chadli would have both scored, the penalty wouldnt have been given, and right now we'd all be talking about winning the PL.

;)
But thats my point. Chucking money at a team that isnt a team yet doesnt solve anything.

Coaching, stability, familiarity and players who know eachother, and understand their roles will serve us a lot better than being in the same situation but throwing a top striker on top of it.

The midfield still needs to knit, and when it does, we will create and score more.

On another day, Ade and Chadli would have both scored, the penalty wouldnt have been given, and right now we'd all be talking about winning the PL.
I agree the gear they are selling on the streets is strong, but talking about winning the league?? ;)

I find it extremely weird that 90% of all spurs fans seem to understand that we need a striker and yet again, the board closes their eyes. We haven't had a good striker since Berbatov left in 2008! I find that incredibly strange. Yes, we did sign a 29 year old Soldado, but if they would have scouted him for at least one game, they would have seen that this is a player how I incapable of producing anything on his own. This is a essential ability to have, as a striker in the Premier League!!!!!!

The worst of all is that the board keep demanding CL from the managers they appoint, but they them self, are refusing to give them anyone to score the goals they need to get there.

I love THFC, but I feel that we need a little more insight into what they are thinking. I know it wont happen, but I would love to see a statement from Levy where he explains us the reason for why we yet again don't have a striker that can score the goals we need. I personally think that Everton will show us all how important a good striking force is in the Premier League, and I am very afraid that we will have to watch them surpass yet again.

Last edited:

I fully agree. Have the people in this forum not seen the Mighty Ducks -movies?

I find it extremely weird that 90% of all spurs fans seem to understand that we need a striker and yet again, the board closes their eyes. We haven't had a good striker since Berbatov left in 2008! I find that incredibly strange. Yes, we did sign a 29 year old Soldado, but if they would have scouted him for at least one game, they would have seen that this is a player how I incapable of producing anything on his own. This is a essential ability to have, as a striker in the Premier League!!!!!!

The worst of all is that the board keep demanding CL from the managers they appoint, but they them self, are refusing to give them anyone to score the goals they need to get there.

I love THFC, but I feel that we need a little more insight into what they are thinking. I know it wont happen, but I would love to see a statement from Levy where he explains us the reason for why we yet again don't have a striker that can score the goals we need. I personally think that Everton will show us all how important a good striking force is in the Premier League, and I am very afraid that we will have to watch them surpass us this year.

Unfortunately I think you are right the lack of top class strikers could be fatal, the rest of the pitch we are fine but we could end up playing really well but not finding the net a lot and at the end of the season it might lead to us coming 6-7th.

We are one of the few sound clubs in the top tier of football. That we don't get it right might be one thing, but at least we are trying to run a good business.

And this is it we all need to stand back and just look at how badly in general football clubs are being run, it's farcical really. Leeds united for the last 10 years has been unbelivably bad, the losses as the big clubs like city would never ever ever be tolerated at a correctly run company of that size.

Even if the club is a families play thing, they are business people you would think they would not simply want all their money pissed away for no reason!

I love THFC, but I feel that we need a little more insight into what they are thinking. I know it wont happen, but I would love to see a statement from Levy where he explains us the reason for why we yet again don't have a striker that can score the goals we need. I personally think that Everton will show us all how important a good striking force is in the Premier League, and I am very afraid that we will have to watch them surpass us this year.

Everton done well with Lukaku....but Everton signed him. What makes you think we could have simply got him? And would you rather we signed Etoo and fucked Kane off?

The funny thing is, is that we should have solved the striker problem YEARS ago.

When people pointed out that we were relying too heavily on Bale for goals, AVBs backers vehemently denied it......yet here we are.

The window to be this angry about not signing a striker has long gone. It was when we went into the CL with Crouch, Defoe and Pav. While they did good, it was not a long term solution, and we didnt capitalise on being a CL club.

This is not the window for crying about signing strikers, its the window we need Poch to get Soldado to deliver.

I'm quite indifferent about the transfer window.
Positive:
+ We bought a young, talented, British LB to push or replace Rose. Very good piece of business.
+ We bought two CB with quality, one of them young, talented and British aswell
+ With Yedlin we secured a great talent for the RB position.

Indifferent:
o Bought Stambouli, who is more or less a lucky bag - might be a starter, might be a backup.
o sold some squad players (Fryers, Gylfi, Livermore)

Negative:
- Not bought an AM or a LW. Currently, we haven't any adequate backup for Eriksen and our backups for the wings aren't compatible to the system and not in form.
- We weren't able to secure a young, talented, British, quite proven Striker (Welbeck) for a quite moderate price.
- We sold Sandro and Holtby, two absolute fan favourites and idols.

Maybe the negatives weigh a bit more than the positives but in total it's ok. Not too good, but not too bad neither.

Still, I'm quite envious about some players Woolwich secured this window (although I know they have better arguments with CL football and bit higher wages): Sánchez, Chambers and Welbeck. The first one could solve our winger problems, the second one could play CB and be a proven RB-Backup at once and the third seems to be much more compatible to Poch's System than Soldado. Nevertheless, I hope we will smash them twice in the league and finish above them!

There is a major issue here; yes we could well have done with another striker but when Troy Deeney and Jordan Rhodes are valued by their clubs at more than £12m, then there does seem to be a dearth of strikers who are good enough, and not costing in excess of £20+m - more....and who are available.

Both of Benteke and Rodriguez would have been options but I can hardly imagine signing a player who might not return the same as they were previous to injury is a good idea.

There is a major issue here; yes we could well have done with another striker but when Troy Deeney and Jordan Rhodes are valued by their clubs at more than £12m, then there does seem to be a dearth of strikers who are good enough, and not costing in excess of £20+m - more....and who are available.

Both of Benteke and Rodriguez would have been options but I can hardly imagine signing a player who might not return the same as they were previous to injury is a good idea.

Shane Long for 12M says it all

Everton done well with Lukaku....but Everton signed him. What makes you think we could have simply got him? And would you rather we signed Etoo and fucked Kane off?

The funny thing is, is that we should have solved the striker problem YEARS ago.

When people pointed out that we were relying too heavily on Bale for goals, AVBs backers vehemently denied it......yet here we are.

The window to be this angry about not signing a striker has long gone. It was when we went into the CL with Crouch, Defoe and Pav. While they did good, it was not a long term solution, and we didnt capitalise on being a CL club.

This is not the window for crying about signing strikers, its the window we need Poch to get Soldado to deliver.

I am not saying that if we wanted to sign Lukaku that he would have chosen Spurs, but what I am saying is that Everton is reckoning the importance of what a great strike force can give you. We don't.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I do feel that every window we don't get that striker we need, is a window were we fail. We might improve the squad we have, but we wont be able to improve our final league standing. And yes we need Poch to get Soldado to deliver, but he is not a magician

Good point. Who do you buy when many players are happy to just sit on the bench at a club where they'll pick up twice the wages we'll pay?

Back
Top Bottom