Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, he had a good game. Not as a striker, but as a distributor. There’s glimpses here and there showing that he could possibly be a better 10 than he is a 9 going forward.

I suggested that we should convert him to a 10 at the beginning of the year and now it’s looking like it has some merit.

And there's the difference. You don't rate Kane too highly, especially as a striker, but you're not completely blind to the good things he does like sammyspurs, who makes him sound like Ali Dia regardless of what he does or doesn't do every game.

Tottenham showed clear improvement under Antonio Conte with a comfortable 2-0 win against Brentford in the Premier League.

The win means the Italian manager has won two of his first three Premier League games, with goals from Ben Davies and Son Heung-min doing the trick on a cold Thursday evening at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Despite the numerous positives on the day, it was yet another frustrating evening for striker and England captain Harry Kane, who again fluffed his lines when put through on goal.

Kane has now only scored once in the league this season, and despite being on fire for England his league form needs addressing.

And the experienced Conte is putting in the work to get him back to his best.

LondonWorld brings you some of the creative ways Antonio Conte and his coaching staff are working to bring him up to speed.

Working on his Psychology

Harry Kane is obviously still recovering from not being allowed to join Manchester City, in a move that would have definitely been a British record.

The striker wants to win trophies, and knows he will be a better record-maker if he can add trophies to all the goals.

But Conte and his team are already convincing him to have a rethink.

They have even thrown in the idea that it would be worth much more to win the league with Tottenham, his boyhood club, than winning it elsewhere.

That sort of psychology is what the Italian winner is built on.

He got into the head of players like Lukaku, who he thought was under-valued at Manchester United, and took him to Inter Milan where he became a goal machine.

Keeping him in the box as much as possible​

Another aspect of Kane’s game Conte is trying to tweak is his tendency to drop deep and create space for other players.

Even though that in itself is a good trait to have, it doesn’t quite suit what the Italian manager expects from his forwards.

He wants the English captain to start the press and remain in his designated space, instead of crashing into others because he wants to make things happen.

Conte micro-manages the space quite well and his eagle eyes can tell when a player is out of shape.

His brother, Gianluca Conte, always seated in the press box, provides information on the positions and details of players who are responding to the instructions and those who are not.

He uses sophisticated software that helps him capture real-time images of players who are in shape with or without the ball.

Gianluca Conte was feeding information to his brother throughout the Brentford clash about Harry Kane.

This is designed to improve the forward’s position in the box and when on the press.

Creating an environment similar to England​

Conte has been trying to create an open-door environment at Hotspur Way, which is quite similar to the approach Gareth Southgate used during England’s Euro 2020 campaign.

There has been talk of using Steven Bergwijn as a centre-forward, and that is because Conte is quite open with who deserves to play and who doesn’t.

He wants his players to fight for minutes.

At the moment, Conte doesn’t feel there is enough competition for Kane.

The Italian believes that the form of players like Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Tammy Abraham is bringing the best out of their captain for England.

Conte wants a similar environment at Hotspur Way, where hard work is rewarded.

He thinks this will get the striker back to fighting for his slot.

Making him much leaner​

Since Antonio Conte’s arrival at Tottenham, the players have been feeling the extra gym sessions.

This doesn’t apply only to Kane, but there is a general feeling within the coaching staff that players have to shed a little more weight, and Kane is one of those.

The banning of fizzy drinks and tomato ketchup is designed to reduce the number of muscle injuries.

Bring in players to lift the overall quality of the team​

After the Europa Conference League defeat to Mura, there was a general acceptance that the quality of the team was very low and even Conte was brave enough to point out the deficiency to the press.

There are talks behind closed doors on bringing in some players that will compete with the established starters like Kane and Son.

Those signing will also instantly improve the team to give Kane a hand, and improve the service he receives in the final third of the game to make scoring much easier.
Whoever wrote this article doesn't appear to know what og means. What a tosser..!

Everyone thought Son and Skipp were better yesterday. Son was unplayable for most parts of the game.

Son and Skipp were better, I agree. But I found the premise of 'Son scored so he should be a really high rating yeah?' laughable after how much Kane's 'easy' goals vs poorer sides has been played down.

Couldn't find a single site rating him less than 7, few 8's and 7.5's. So clearly a good performance from the perspective of non-Spurs fans.

I think this was a good summary:

'Kane might not have scored against Brentford, but this was a big step in the right direction from the Englishman. He did come close to finding the back of the net, only to be denied by Fernandez. However, on Thursday, Kane was heavily involved in chance creation, playing a game-high four key passes while releasing Reguilon in the buildup to Son’s goal. Job well done.'
Sky Sports and BBC both gave him 5/10
Bit harsh IMO

Sky Sports and BBC both gave him 5/10
Bit harsh IMO

Ah, didn't come up on first page or so when I searched up ratings.

Very, very harsh .. especially when they gave Moura a 6. BBC is usually based on an aggregate of fans watching isn't it? Sometimes can be inaccurate if there's a perception there someone is having a bad season.

EDIT: The skysports ratings in general seem harsh. Son only a 7 for scoring and assisting whilst being threatening all game? It's an 8 at least. Thought Dier played very well too, and he only got a 6 from them.

Son and Skipp were better, I agree. But I found the premise of 'Son scored so he should be a really high rating yeah?' laughable after how much Kane's 'easy' goals vs poorer sides has been played down.
No, not based on that goal. He was just unplayable and contributed to both our goals. His work rate energy and running was on another level yesterday. Not sure what got into him.

HARRY UP

Harry Kane needs to stop sulking at Tottenham now he’s working with proven winner Antonio Conte​

• 23:32, 2 Dec 2021
  • Updated: 0:06, 3 Dec 2021
WHEN will Harry Kane finally stop sulking?

After trying to fuel his desire for trophies by forcing a move to Manchester City in the summer, the England striker has been chasing shadows for Tottenham this season.

And after enduring Nuno Espirito Santo’s short-lived tenure, Kane arguably now has a manager who can live up to the task of delivering silverware at Spurs.

Because unlike Mauricio Pochettino, Antonio Conte is a proven winner.

And unlike Jose Mourinho, the Italian doesn’t have an out of date style of football and is not past his best.

If he hasn’t already, Kane should get himself on Wikipedia and research what Conte has achieved.

Because one look will show him the man in the dugout will be capable of getting the best out of him.

After their own barren run, he is the man who sent Juventus on their way to a decade of Serie A titles before also becoming the man to stop them by firing Inter Milan to their first Scudetto in 11 years.

That is without mentioning the fact he turned a 10th-place Chelsea side into Premier League champions.

Kane, 28, is letting his best years pass him by sulking on the failed summer move to the Etihad.

Going off his recent club form, Pep Guardiola will be thinking he dodged a bullet in shelling out over £100million to sign him.

Looking at the top goal scorer charts you have to scroll through names like Ben Chillwell, Teemu Pukki and even Jesse Lingard, who cannot even get a start for a struggling Manchester United side, before you find Kane on one Prem goal.

And he may just be on that tally for a while as he really did not look like adding to it on Thursday night.

He must have been mumbling the lyrics to Blue Moon wondering how many he would have by now if the likes of Phil Foden, Jack Grealish and Kevin De Bruyne were feeding him.

Because every time a pass was played up to him he was always one or two paces behind the rest of the pack.

Early on in the game he found himself driving forward as runs from Son Heung-min and Lucas Moura opened up Brentford’s defence.

The old Kane would have fancied his chances and sent one of his iconic dipping shots at goal but instead, he pushed the ball out to Moura.

But like any world class player he can show flashes of his brilliance which can be enough to change the game.

It was his ball which cut open Brentford on the counter attack that allowed Son to tap into an empty net for the second.

But make no mistake, this is a completely different Kane to the one who took home the golden boot for both goals and assists last season.

And if he does not shake off this sulk anytime soon, Conte will be brave enough to drop him if his mind is elsewhere.

You only have to look at his spat with Diego Costa during his final year at Chelsea to see the Italian does not have time for players who do not want to be at the club.

After disrupting their title-winning season by demanding a move to China, Conte dropped the Spanish striker at the start of the next season before he moved back to Atletico Madrid.

It is clear Kane has not lost his desire as he managed to score FOUR against San Marino for England last month as he chases the all-time scoring record.

But if he does not buck up his ideas in a Spurs shirt soon, no club will want him and he will be left staring at an empty trophy cabinet when his playing days are over.

The chances Harry has missed in the last few games, he won't continue to miss. Regardless of how much you rate him or don't, he's one of the greatest strikers in the history of the league for a reason. His record proves that. It's factual. Not an opinion. If the chances he's missed in the last handful of games go in then he has 4 or 5 Premier League goals to add to his very healthy record in other competitions and nobody is saying a thing, other than the obvious. I'd be far more worried if we were creating chance after chance for him, game in, game out, and he was missing them all.

Looked leaner to me. He’s been in a comfort zone for two years and now the hard work starts again….. Jose’s easy street training is no more

Looked leaner to me. He’s been in a comfort zone for two years and now the hard work starts again….. Jose’s easy street training is no more

Getting jogging Harry, you lard arse!

Dance Chunk GIF

The chances Harry has missed in the last few games, he won't continue to miss. Regardless of how much you rate him or don't, he's one of the greatest strikers in the history of the league for a reason. His record proves that. It's factual. Not an opinion. If the chances he's missed in the last handful of games go in then he has 4 or 5 Premier League goals to add to his very healthy record in other competitions and nobody is saying a thing, other than the obvious. I'd be far more worried if we were creating chance after chance for him, game in, game out, and he was missing them all.
This season he's at 3% conversion rate.

His goal non penalty conversion rate was 13% last season. Even if he gets back up to 13% this season it's not exactly clinical or good. It's just maybe average.

And he's lost a couple of steps since last season meaning the game is just moving much faster to him right now. Do 29 year olds suddenly regain pace / mobility etc? I don't know mate.

HARRY UP

Harry Kane needs to stop sulking at Tottenham now he’s working with proven winner Antonio Conte​

WHEN will Harry Kane finally stop sulking?

After trying to fuel his desire for trophies by forcing a move to Manchester City in the summer, the England striker has been chasing shadows for Tottenham this season.

And after enduring Nuno Espirito Santo’s short-lived tenure, Kane arguably now has a manager who can live up to the task of delivering silverware at Spurs.

Because unlike Mauricio Pochettino, Antonio Conte is a proven winner.

And unlike Jose Mourinho, the Italian doesn’t have an out of date style of football and is not past his best.

If he hasn’t already, Kane should get himself on Wikipedia and research what Conte has achieved.

Because one look will show him the man in the dugout will be capable of getting the best out of him.

After their own barren run, he is the man who sent Juventus on their way to a decade of Serie A titles before also becoming the man to stop them by firing Inter Milan to their first Scudetto in 11 years.

That is without mentioning the fact he turned a 10th-place Chelsea side into Premier League champions.

Kane, 28, is letting his best years pass him by sulking on the failed summer move to the Etihad.

Going off his recent club form, Pep Guardiola will be thinking he dodged a bullet in shelling out over £100million to sign him.

Looking at the top goal scorer charts you have to scroll through names like Ben Chillwell, Teemu Pukki and even Jesse Lingard, who cannot even get a start for a struggling Manchester United side, before you find Kane on one Prem goal.

And he may just be on that tally for a while as he really did not look like adding to it on Thursday night.

He must have been mumbling the lyrics to Blue Moon wondering how many he would have by now if the likes of Phil Foden, Jack Grealish and Kevin De Bruyne were feeding him.

Because every time a pass was played up to him he was always one or two paces behind the rest of the pack.

Early on in the game he found himself driving forward as runs from Son Heung-min and Lucas Moura opened up Brentford’s defence.

The old Kane would have fancied his chances and sent one of his iconic dipping shots at goal but instead, he pushed the ball out to Moura.

But like any world class player he can show flashes of his brilliance which can be enough to change the game.

It was his ball which cut open Brentford on the counter attack that allowed Son to tap into an empty net for the second.

But make no mistake, this is a completely different Kane to the one who took home the golden boot for both goals and assists last season.

And if he does not shake off this sulk anytime soon, Conte will be brave enough to drop him if his mind is elsewhere.

You only have to look at his spat with Diego Costa during his final year at Chelsea to see the Italian does not have time for players who do not want to be at the club.

After disrupting their title-winning season by demanding a move to China, Conte dropped the Spanish striker at the start of the next season before he moved back to Atletico Madrid.

It is clear Kane has not lost his desire as he managed to score FOUR against San Marino for England last month as he chases the all-time scoring record.

But if he does not buck up his ideas in a Spurs shirt soon, no club will want him and he will be left staring at an empty trophy cabinet when his playing days are over.
Too long to read. I thought I might miss Christmas. 😂

This season he's at 3% conversion rate.

His goal non penalty conversion rate was 13% last season. Even if he gets back up to 13% this season it's not exactly clinical or good. It's just maybe average.

And he's lost a couple of steps since last season meaning the game is just moving much faster to him right now. Do 29 year olds suddenly regain pace / mobility etc? I don't know mate.

I don't care if his shooting is largely average as long as he's scoring some goals and providing other things for the team. We've relied on his goal output for too long and in the end it didn't get us anywhere. He just scored 7 goals for England recently and missed a fair few chances along the way, despite clearly being out of form and low in confidence. The morale of that story is that if you create plenty of chances for him, he'll score plenty of goals still.

I've never rated him on the same level quite in regards to finishing to the likes of Lewandowski and Aguero. They were/are deadly. He's a level below that. But Harry has other strengths neither of them have or have ever had.

Kane was the most creative player on the pitch by the stats, but you think Son scoring a tap in is more valuable?

So now scoring tap in's vs low-level sides is worthy of praise? No flip in logic here. None at all.
Not at all.
I think Son was pretty shit despite scoring.

The point is that if YOU think Kane was a seven for 4 passes, what would you give him if he scored?

I judge a performance, in combination with a goal or assist etc.

I don’t rate a striker a seven when he missed a sitter, and didn’t jump for a single header and made an equal or more shit passes than good ones

Not at all.
I think Son was pretty shit despite scoring.

The point is that if YOU think Kane was a seven for 4 passes, what would you give him if he scored?

I judge a performance, in combination with a goal or assist etc.

I don’t rate a striker a seven when he missed a sitter, and didn’t jump for a single header and made an equal or more shit passes than good ones

Answering for him, I think a goal generally gets you one point extra. So it turns a 6 into a 7, or a 7 into an 8 etc. Simple as that really.

Played well last night but clearly low in confidence on the shooting front. Several times he had the chance for an early shot but he passed it up, fearing failure probably. His one on one finish was desperately poor - such an easy angle to slot it past the keeper on either side. But he worked hard all game and made some very decent passes. Surely the goals will come against the flood plain farmers.

Back
Top Bottom