Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree, Vardy an absolute must for me. Not a fan of the guy but will give everything and you can't argue with his record.
Some on here disagree with this. Even though his goal record suggests he’s definitely top five in the country over the past three seasons. May be a questionable character, but he scores goals.

Harry should win the Golden Boot and then withdraw from the World Cup squad with a shoulder injury.

Fuck all these fans of other teams right off.
There was a time this would be bang on, but I really don't think it's the case any more. Partisanship has crept into the national game to such an extent that fans of some teams can't stand the thought of rival teams' players doing well in an England shirt.

I think, if we're honest with ourselves, we're a bit guilty of it where Vardy is concerened. And if Welbeck were to come on as a late sub and snatch a winner or equaliser, many of us (myself included) would desperately look for any contribution one of our own might have made earlier in the move and argue that was the game-changing moment. :)

Some on here disagree with this. Even though his goal record suggests he’s definitely top five in the country over the past three seasons. May be a questionable character, but he scores goals.
I think he's a hit and hope merchant, some might say that's a good thing as he's getting his shots off but he's doesn't bring others into play, can't hold the ball up, in fact with the ball at his feet he's hopeless. His success is shooting as soon as the ball comes to him, no matter where that happens to be on the pitch. I grant you that he is perfectly suited to a team that defends deep and plays long balls to him when playing on the shoulder of the last defender but that's it, literally nothing else to him. Seeing as he is practically the only outlet for Leicester I'd say his percentages are very low, he should be scoring a lot more goals seeing as unlike Kane he's fed and put on the pitch solely for that purpose with few other players aside from Marhez to take goals off him.

I think the media have already shaped the winner of this.

The player I feel really sorry for is Silva, consistently one of the best players in the PL and rarely gets a nod, same could be said of Auguero (not this year), in the past everyone knows how good his is yet chuggers like Kante get picked ahead of him, crazy.

I think he's a hit and hope merchant, some might say that's a good thing as he's getting his shots off but he's doesn't bring others into play, can't hold the ball up, in fact with the ball at his feet he's hopeless. His success is shooting as soon as the ball comes to him, no matter where that happens to be on the pitch. I grant you that he is perfectly suited to a team that defends deep and plays long balls to him when playing on the shoulder of the last defender but that's it, literally nothing else to him. Seeing as he is practically the only outlet for Leicester I'd say his percentages are very low, he should be scoring a lot more goals seeing as unlike Kane he's fed and put on the pitch solely for that purpose with few other players aside from Marhez to take goals off him.

You've made a good case to take Vardy there - having a quick striker that plays off the shoulder is useful. Granted, he won't be needed in every game, but we need a squad with different options. The pace and directness of Vardy will cause most teams problems. All in all, he's got nothing on Kane as a player but he does offer something different - in fact both on the pitch at once wouldn't be a bad shout in some matches.

Looking at his last 5-6 seasons stats Vardy has been very consistent with only one outlier.

You've made a good case to take Vardy there - having a quick striker that plays off the shoulder is useful. Granted, he won't be needed in every game, but we need a squad with different options. The pace and directness of Vardy will cause most teams problems. All in all, he's got nothing on Kane as a player but he does offer something different - in fact both on the pitch at once wouldn't be a bad shout in some matches.

Looking at his last 5-6 seasons stats Vardy has been very consistent with only one outlier.
To be clear, I’m not advocating we sign Vardy. I don’t think he’d have enough space to be effective for us.

I’m purely saying he’s a very good striker / goal scorer. If Kane didn’t exist and England were going into the summer with Vardy up front, I’d be happy with that.

His record stands up against everyone bar Kane and Aguero. To be top of a second tier of players behind those two is pretty damn good.

To be clear, I’m not advocating we sign Vardy. I don’t think he’d have enough space to be effective for us.

I know - nor am I, In fact I wouldn't want him at Spurs. But he is effective, no doubt. Kane and Aguero are both world class, which is a bit different. Amazing that Kante has a player of the year award and Aguero doesn't.

He would be shite for us, how many teams we face in a season that don't sit back? 2 or 3?? We already have players who are quick and far more skilful, I'd say let's focus on a player that can do something with the ball at his feet, bring others into play. We don't need a target man too like Llorente, pointless unless you are going to lump balls to him to head onto players etc..

He would be shite for us, how many teams we face in a season that don't sit back? 2 or 3?? We already have players who are quick and far more skilful, I'd say let's focus on a player that can do something with the ball at his feet, bring others into play. We don't need a target man too like Llorente, pointless unless you are going to lump balls to him to head onto players etc..

Clarification - I don't want him for us btw! I was talking about England and the WC.

Back
Top Bottom