Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man City and Liverpool can do better than Kane. Kane's best bet is Manutd if he wants to go or abroad. But even Manutd would be trying to strengthen other positions rather than up top where they have pretty good players.

The few sides with pockets deep enough to buy Harry would have to be concerned about his catalogue of injuries. It’s nearly a guarantee now that he’ll be out for 2 to 3 months of the season.

Kane is a great goalscorer. No doubt. And a great player. However, with his skillset, mindset, mobility issues, and injury proneness, he is a player that poses some crucial challenges:

1. If we keep him, we need to build a team that works around him. As it stands, we do not have such a team. He has been at his best when we have had a high press, with creative passers with goal-scoring potential behind him. Last game he had four of his five offensive team mates barely able to pass at all, and full backs with average delivery. He needs the high defensive line, because he does not have the physicality or mobility for being a target man or for running behind. He is at his best when he can use his quick head to read opportunities and move intelligently on break downs. If we are gonna surround our striker with types like Son, Moura and Bergwijn, we'd almost be better off playing a type like Heskey or Llorente up top.

2. His mindset is bad for the team. My impression is that many think that a striker should be selfish and focus on scoring goals. I do not agree. At least not when they get as obsessed as it seems like Kane has become. It is damaging to morale when players become too selfish. Kane claiming the Eriksen goal a couple of years back seemed to make Eriksen pissed. What is probably worse, is that it leads to waisted opportunities, like when Kane decides to take direct free kicks - they are all face-palmingly horrendous, or when he doesn’t pass to team mates in better positions. If Kane had played the game like de Bruyne, he could have been almost equally good at passing - as he has the technical ability, the intelligence and the creativity for it - and a better shooter. He'd be fantastic had he been less selfish. The team would have scored a lot more goals, and have been harder to defend against.

3. One of the failures of Poch was that he seemed to train our players away from mobility to strength. Players like Alli, Dier and Kane all seem significantly less mobile now than they did a few years back. Others bulked up too. If it is true that Kane now weighs 89 kg and is 188 cm, his BMI is 25.2 - he is overweight. Had he been a target man, one who'd bully defenders and win and control long balls and clearances from our defence, it might have been ok to be that heavy, but he really isn't. Defenders seem to have very little problems winning fights with Kane. He would be much better off being a bit lighter and quicker in his step.

4. Injury prone players are always a bit problematic. But when a main man, a most important player, is injury prone, it really hurts a team. With Kane, with us needing to build the team around him, with the difficulty of finding proper backup for a striker of that format, particularly as we only play one up front, and with the time it takes for him to get back to his best post injuries, his injuries are devastating. Getting him back is almost worse than losing him to injuries, as it is like playing ten men for the first few games after his return. I used to think that Aguero and Yaya were problematic for City back in the days, because of their frequent injuries and how dependant they were of the pair. I argued that Liverpool should sell Coutinho before they did, as he was their star and missed almost half of every season. That despite the three mentioned finding form faster after injuries than Kane does.

Kane IS great. No doubt. But he might actually be more of a problem than an assett as things stand. If we had been a bigger team and the squad was built correctly, things would be different. Right now we are in a position where he is bigger than the club, where his personal goal records chase seems more important than the success of the team.

But we can not sell him.

Which means we are either fucked, or we need to rebuild smarter, change his state of mind and retrain him into a slimmer, more agile version of himself.

I 've been wanting nothing but the club to succeed and win a title or two for the past half a decade or so now. I wanted all the players to do well and be the Champions I really thought they deserved to be, not just Kane and Son.

I am hoping that many and the most are like me but some of the posters here are truly disappointing and often below the grade I would want to engage. Well I don't even understand them tbh. Anyway I have to go join a meal now. But whatever really. Have a good one for yourself
I have never heard anyone describe 5 years as a "half a decade". How nice of you wanting OUR club to succeed for the past "half a decade". We really appreciate your "support"; what a privilege and honour it is. I can't think what happened around "half a decade" ago to make you want OUR team do well.

I have never heard anyone describe 5 years as a "half a decade". How nice of you wanting OUR club to succeed for the past "half a decade". We really appreciate your "support"; what a privilege and honour it is. I can't think what happened around "half a decade" ago to make you want OUR team do well.
I really don't give a shit what you think or heard. I 've warned you many times about the pitfall and inefficiency of being the "Harry Kane team. "You " didn't listen or couldn't hear. There you go stupid mid table shit. You fully deserve

Kane is a great goalscorer. No doubt. And a great player. However, with his skillset, mindset, mobility issues, and injury proneness, he is a player that poses some crucial challenges:

1. If we keep him, we need to build a team that works around him. As it stands, we do not have such a team. He has been at his best when we have had a high press, with creative passers with goal-scoring potential behind him. Last game he had four of his five offensive team mates barely able to pass at all, and full backs with average delivery. He needs the high defensive line, because he does not have the physicality or mobility for being a target man or for running behind. He is at his best when he can use his quick head to read opportunities and move intelligently on break downs. If we are gonna surround our striker with types like Son, Moura and Bergwijn, we'd almost be better off playing a type like Heskey or Llorente up top.

2. His mindset is bad for the team. My impression is that many think that a striker should be selfish and focus on scoring goals. I do not agree. At least not when they get as obsessed as it seems like Kane has become. It is damaging to morale when players become too selfish. Kane claiming the Eriksen goal a couple of years back seemed to make Eriksen pissed. What is probably worse, is that it leads to waisted opportunities, like when Kane decides to take direct free kicks - they are all face-palmingly horrendous, or when he doesn’t pass to team mates in better positions. If Kane had played the game like de Bruyne, he could have been almost equally good at passing - as he has the technical ability, the intelligence and the creativity for it - and a better shooter. He'd be fantastic had he been less selfish. The team would have scored a lot more goals, and have been harder to defend against.

3. One of the failures of Poch was that he seemed to train our players away from mobility to strength. Players like Alli, Dier and Kane all seem significantly less mobile now than they did a few years back. Others bulked up too. If it is true that Kane now weighs 89 kg and is 188 cm, his BMI is 25.2 - he is overweight. Had he been a target man, one who'd bully defenders and win and control long balls and clearances from our defence, it might have been ok to be that heavy, but he really isn't. Defenders seem to have very little problems winning fights with Kane. He would be much better off being a bit lighter and quicker in his step.

4. Injury prone players are always a bit problematic. But when a main man, a most important player, is injury prone, it really hurts a team. With Kane, with us needing to build the team around him, with the difficulty of finding proper backup for a striker of that format, particularly as we only play one up front, and with the time it takes for him to get back to his best post injuries, his injuries are devastating. Getting him back is almost worse than losing him to injuries, as it is like playing ten men for the first few games after his return. I used to think that Aguero and Yaya were problematic for City back in the days, because of their frequent injuries and how dependant they were of the pair. I argued that Liverpool should sell Coutinho before they did, as he was their star and missed almost half of every season. That despite the three mentioned finding form faster after injuries than Kane does.

Kane IS great. No doubt. But he might actually be more of a problem than an assett as things stand. If we had been a bigger team and the squad was built correctly, things would be different. Right now we are in a position where he is bigger than the club, where his personal goal records chase seems more important than the success of the team.

But we can not sell him.

Which means we are either fucked, or we need to rebuild smarter, change his state of mind and retrain him into a slimmer, more agile version of himself.
I don't get this at all man. Earlier in the 2019-20 campaign when Kane was dropping deep into midfield regularly to try and help out our midfield people said he needs to be more selfish. Now he's scoring goals and is likely conserving his energy given he hasn't played in 6 months and he's selfish? Can't win with some people.

The only valid reasons to sell Harry Kane are: 1. he has asked to leave or 2. we are convinced his injury problems will get worse in the next few seasons and we need to cash in.

I don't get this at all man. Earlier in the 2019-20 campaign when Kane was dropping deep into midfield regularly to try and help out our midfield people said he needs to be more selfish. Now he's scoring goals and is likely conserving his energy given he hasn't played in 6 months and he's selfish? Can't win with some people.

The only valid reasons to sell Harry Kane are: 1. he has asked to leave or 2. we are convinced his injury problems will get worse in the next few seasons and we need to cash in.
Agreed. I feel he is a much better all round player than many realise.

I really don't give a shit what you think or heard. I 've warned you many times about the pitfall and inefficiency of being the "Harry Kane team. "You " didn't listen or couldn't hear. There you go stupid mid table shit. You fully deserve
Christ you're one obnoxious weirdo. If only Poch et al had listened to you ol' wise one. I wonder which team will have the honour and privilege of your undying support next...

Last edited:

I thought about this the other day actually.

People for ages complained Kane was coming deep, trying to start play and create for others - yet when Kane stays up top, doesn't get involved and is barely noticeable, people also complain.

What is it people WANT from Kane?

And can he provide what they want?

I thought about this the other day actually.

People for ages complained Kane was coming deep, trying to start play and create for others - yet when Kane stays up top, doesn't get involved and is barely noticeable, people also complain.

What is it people WANT from Kane?

And can he provide what they want?
I agree that people seem to think he's underperforming no matter what he does. However this stems from how good he actually was playing 2-3 years ago, when he was physically stronger and was able to get up and down quicker, closed down and dribbled more, and just seemed a more complete player.

It's also weird how much better he performs with England, but I guess that could come down to system or a different setting and worse coached opposition.

I agree that people seem to think he's underperforming no matter what he does. However this stems from how good he actually was playing 2-3 years ago, when he was physically stronger and was able to get up and down quicker, closed down and dribbled more, and just seemed a more complete player.

It's also weird how much better he performs with England, but I guess that could come down to system or a different setting and worse coached opposition.

England tend to play a 433 - that formation was always going to get the best out of Kane, especially with two willing runners either side of him (cough cough, Son and Bergwijn). I'm still amazed we haven't truly tested it out.

I also think the slower pace of international football probably helps him out too.

Peoppe who say Kane would only be useful if he slims down and gets more agile are often the people who don't watch football regularly and instead get frustrated by playing with Kane on fifa20 because his pace is slow.

These people often also would much prefer a lucas up top because "at least he's fast". No surprise this person thinks Son is God's gift to spurs while kane is an over the hill has been, even though he's looked some of his most dangerous since the restart, going back to 2017 I'd say.

He's surrounded by much better players when playing for England than with us.

Well at least it is all out now.

Back
Top Bottom