Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He played well. I hope expectation isn't heaped upon him. He has the attributes to become a tidy little player.
I trust Poch will keep his feet on the ground.

As for Eriksen, you have to remember players are human beings. My guess is that there is some stuff going on in his personal life. The again he may just be going through one of those spells.
However, but for 6 inches or so we could have been talking about eriksen in a different light. He started brightly and he took that goal really well.
He also did the one two with Son that got the penalty, that was a nice pass.

Like to see him having a bit more conviction with the ball and getting more goals.

Asked about Harry’s goal, which made it 1-1, Mauricio replied with a smile: “Brilliant, brilliant. It was an emotional moment for him and for us.... The players coming through the academy show passion and that is our identity. It’s fantastic when you can see Harry Winks scored and needed to cry, needed to cry after in the changing room.

“It’s a priceless moment and we need to create more and push more in the future. We need to congratulate the people in the academy because the work they are doing is fantastic from a long time ago.”

As if Harry Winks needed to be loved any more... this is getting to epic legendary status proportions already!

I think with Eriksen there must be something mental, Eriksen has so much ability but is not a better player than when he first arrived at Spurs.

Might be a competition thing, Walker and Rose are so much better for having Trippier and Davies looking over their shoulder. Someone to offer genuine competition and take Eriksen out of his comfort zone will get him back on his feet.

TBF I think Eriksen gets way too much flak, especially because so may fans mistake his style for laziness.

My point regarding Winks was much more related to their style ON the ball, where I feel Winky was aggressive - ambitious - regardless of his ability, whereas Eriksen was way too catious regardless of his formidable ability.

Personally I hate the Eriksen/Ozil debate, but IMHO the main chasm between the two is how ambitious Ozil is in possession.

Not surprised to see him compared to Eriksen. It's crazy how much more Winks gave to our game yesterday than Eriksen. He has been terrible for a few months now, his passing yesterday was catastrophic (69% pass accuracy).

It is very early to say this, but Poch dreams of putting up a home-grown/english only starting eleven one day. I don't we will achieve that, but we are getting closer and I believe Winks will be a part of that. We need players who are fully commited to the club - they make the difference. Most of the squad are, there are just a few players falling out, mainly the new ones like Sissoko or GKN, but that's because they haven't been here for a longer time.

It's not the case for Eriksen though, it is his fourth season with us. And while is he a very gifted footballer and is working harder than before Poch arrived, I have the feeling he doesn't care as much as the rest of the group does. I think he is intelligent, getting a new contract with us, because he gets to start every game with us and is now playing in the CL, so he is in the spotlight. Right now, which might not be the case later in the season, I wouldn't mind a bit seeing him go. I agree with his mentality - imo he is also conceited. These problems have also been addressed in his national side.

Anyway, back to Winks. I think he has the talent to play for us in no 10 role one day. His decision making is extremely good, he has that bit of pace and, just like Mason did, he isn't shy of passing the ball forwards. The difference to Mason is his tempo of play. He seems to know when to play which kind of pass. Very excited about him.

As a last point, to come back to the "commited and non-commited players": Beside Eriksen, I would also put Son in that bracket. I am writing about this, because, with Poch in charge, I'd rather take a commited player over a more talented one. For an example, I would rather give Onomah playing time before buying somebody like Isco. But those are only my thoughts.

I strongly oppose the idea that Eriksen is uncommitted, unprofessional and chases the spotlight.

It's in direct conflict with everything he's done and said his entire career, and indeed what all coaches has said about him.

On the contrary, the problem is that he is too professional and not nearly ambitious enough, not least with his own game. You could even argue, that him joining us at the time was a sympthom of that. I wouldn't compare him to Ekotto exactly, but nor does he breath football like someone like Kane or Dier.

I'll probably agree, that with the way Poch plays, he may find himself outcompeted eventually. But I believe he will move on.

Absolutely loved Winks celeb on Saturday. Completely lost his s**t and his is only intention was to jump on Poch. Who knows how his career will pan out with us but one thing is for sure you cannot buy that passion from outside the club.

Absolutely loved Winks celeb on Saturday. Completely lost his s**t and his is only intention was to jump on Poch. Who knows how his career will pan out with us but one thing is for sure you cannot buy that passion from outside the club.

Let's hope we are seeing the rise of Harry The 2nd!
Just like you said, This kind of passion is priceless!

TBF I think Eriksen gets way too much flak, especially because so may fans mistake his style for laziness.

My point regarding Winks was much more related to their style ON the ball, where I feel Winky was aggressive - ambitious - regardless of his ability, whereas Eriksen was way too catious regardless of his formidable ability.

Personally I hate the Eriksen/Ozil debate, but IMHO the main chasm between the two is how ambitious Ozil is in possession.
Anyone that criticises Eriksen as being 'lazy' is well wide of the mark.

He may have been out of form for a majority of this season, but a lazy player doesn't regularly cover more distance than every other player on the pitch, as Eriksen did yet again on the weekend, and does almost every game he plays.

He was probably equal with Payet as the second most creative player in the league last year and crucial to our title challenge. Instead of slating him we should be desperate for him to get back to top form as he when he is he improves our game immeasurably (the Man City game, where he was excellent, being a prime example).

CUHSrhBXIAEnVHT.jpg:large

Would you rather be Martial (20) or Winks (20)?

Date published: Tuesday 22nd November 2016 9:01

Harry-Winks-Anthony-Martial-Football365.jpg

Anthony Martial was substituted after 66 minutes of Manchester United’s then-goalless clash with Woolwich to polite, distracted applause; Jose Mourinho had to make a change with an abject Gunners side looking vulnerable, and Martial was the obvious sacrificial lamb. The substitution barely registered on his face; he had utterly failed to realise pre-match predictions of a ritual right-back slaughter.

Martial is a French international with 15 caps and a £38.5m transfer on his CV (we can shelve talks of a £61.5m final figure as those add-ons now look more like dream-ons). Subdued in his performances and subdued in his demeanour, it’s difficult to believe that Martial cares that his first Premier League start in two months is unlikely to lead to another in the next two months. By all accounts, Mourinho has tried both carrot and stick and still Martial is not clearing any hurdles.

“He doesn’t look happy at times, he needs more energy and dynamism in his game,” said Gary Neville after Saturday’s latest non-performance. And that is perhaps the key; Martial does not look happy. Or sad. Or anything really. And frankly, why would he? At just 20, he is not yet emotionally mature and yet his salary and Instagram following both stretch into the millions. According to the mother of his child, he has “changed completely from the modest, shy and loving young man” she met in Monaco.

Just a few hours after Martial once again failed to complete 90 minutes in the Premier League, Harry Winks was making his first start in the competition and marked it with a goal in a 3-2 London derby. His celebration for Tottenham’s first equaliser was an instant heartwarmer, and his manager later revealed that he “needed to cry” in the changing-room, describing that outpouring of emotion as “fantastic”.

His journey may have been geographically short – from Hemel Hempstead to north London – but Winks’ debut came 28 months after he first appeared on a Premier League bench, when he had sat alongside the similarly unused Harry Kane as Roberto Soldado, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Nabil Bentaleb played in a Tottenham side battered comprehensively by Liverpool. This breakthrough has been a long time coming and that was reflected in the way he personally thanked all his Academy coaches after the game, while acknowledging that this “is only the start”.

Winks has just one England Under-21 appearance to his name and has played a grand total of 12 senior games in football, being the victim/beneficiary of Pochettino’s policy of refusing to send his most promising young players out on loan. The Argentine does not want Winks, Josh Onomah or Cameron Carter-Vickers to learn at the feet of other coaches who do not preach his pressing style. To Pochettino, there is little point Winks playing 30 games in the Championship and returning as a player who cannot seamlessly operate in his system.

There are just two months between the birthdays of Martial and Winks but one likely earns four or five times the wages of the other, while having almost 50 times the number of Instagram followers. And yet who would you rather be this week as one ponders a place on the bench (or worse) in the Europa League at a club for which he has no natural affinity under a manager exasperated by his stagnation, while the other wonders how many minutes he will get against Monaco in the Champions League for his boyhood club and whether he will get another hug? In Harry Kane’s words, he has “instantly become a hero” with that one goal against West Ham.

It’s a genuine question and I’m by no means saying I even know my own answer. You may argue that you would rather be the presumably more talented player at the bigger club, but you may also argue that a hug from Pochettino and the adoration of your fans is worth far more than money or fame. Is the snail ultimately happier than the hare because he is never far from home? We should just do a poll…

Sarah Winterburn

The obvious answer is clearly Winksy, the guy is a dreamboat and will have all the girls falling at his feet. Along with the fact, everyone loves local lad playing for his boyhood club storyline....

If he keeps on playing the way he does he'll get his just rewards for sure.

I wonder if Martial would want to come to us now?
In hindsight it would probably been a better move for him. I doubt the mother of his child would be saying he's unrecognisable to her now.
What's happened to Depay too?

In hindsight it would probably been a better move for him. I doubt the mother of his child would be saying he's unrecognisable to her now.
United fans despise him. Well at least the ones I know do. Apparently he is a lazy so and so.

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. Remember Depay having a good World Cup and there was talk of us going in for him? Same with our supposed failed bids for Martial. Look at them both now wasted talents at Utd. Would we now take either after they have been shown up to be supposedly 'lazy money' grabbers.

Back
Top Bottom