Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Slotted in perfectly last night. Unflashy, and stronger than he looks, kept us flowing, although he did dawdle on the ball a couple of times when Walker was free for a quicker pass. Gonna be a fixture in the team at some point for sure.

Small sample but promising signs nonetheless.

index.php

Winks was a beast for us last night!
Consistently turned his man and found a dangerous forward pass to make.
He even looked physically scrappy, tussling with older players and winning balls off them.
He looked very confident with his attacking abilities! I was seriously impressed!
Can't wait to see his development over the next half of the season!

Seems like only a few weeks back Poch was being decried for having him on the bench, as he (possible quote) "offers nothing".

Now, he's the next big Harry. Quite rightly, but I think certain sections of fans are a bit fickle/quick to judge.

Seems like only a few weeks back Poch was being decried for having him on the bench, as he (possible quote) "offers nothing".

Now, he's the next big Harry. Quite rightly, but I think certain sections of fans are a bit fickle/quick to judge.
Similar hype to Carroll when he was first given a few games. Let's hope he stays grounded and keeps improving

speak for yourself - I have been praying he'll get more game time from the beginning

Similar hype to Carroll when he was first given a few games. Let's hope he stays grounded and keeps improving

Watched him in the pre season, he is different to Carroll and Mason in that he can retain the ball under pressure, that is the difference between a player able to operate as a deep lying playmaker and one who cannot.

He keeps it simply, moves well and passes forward, we haven't had anyone like that since Modric (not saying he will ever be close to that level).

He's much better than Carroll.

Carroll looks like the Joe Allens, Leon Britton, Jack Wilsheres of the world where because of the small stature, relatively low centre of gravity and neat sideways passing, they can look impressive on the eye.

But Winks provides us with something we haven't had since Modric and that's quick first time passing to eliminate an opponent and an outlet to the wings quickly and decisively to put us in a great opportunity to score.

I hope he keeps a level head and continues to learn bevause he's going to be one hell of a player if he turns out to be even as half as good as Modric was for us.

I would describe Wink's playstyle as a mix between Ryan Mason and Luka Modric. He has that drive and passion of Ryan and the first time, metronome style passing of Modric.

If he can add some neat dribbling work and an occasional goal (already has one!) he will be gold for the future. The type of player that would excel next to a Dier or Wanyama. Very good prospect.

I didn't say similar players - just similar hype from fans
I know, just adding that it's more plausible hype with Winks, as physicality is the foundation for young players in the premier league.

It's what Carroll lacks. He may share a lot of similarities with Modric, but Modric may well have struggled in this team the same way that Eriksen would if he was played deeper

For me I find it incredible just how poorly all our young talents are always rated by the football gods at Football Manager and Fifa. Bale & Kane were always destined to be nobodies, as were Mason and Bentaleb. Our youth team is seriously underrated and I'm always glad to see players shine high above what their perceived level from the outside world.

Back
Top Bottom