Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...when you say 'old' ...are we talking late '70s or mid-'80s??

Remember that my definition of old, and yours, are two ve-herrrrrry different things!

Nowadays, 3 months ago is fucking 'Retro'!!

Couple of years. For those kids, that's the stoneage though..

Young people are so impressionable. Put them in the right environment with the right people around them and they will thrive. Give them too much money, not enough emotional support or guidance and allow them to believe their own / their agents hype and its a recipe for disaster.

To be fair it's not even a problem exclusive to young footballers. Look at Yaya Toure.

Young people are so impressionable. Put them in the right environment with the right people around them and they will thrive. Give them too much money, not enough emotional support or guidance and allow them to believe their own / their agents hype and its a recipe for disaster.

To be fair it's not even a problem exclusive to young footballers. Look at Yaya Toure.

The culture of our club has really changed since the arrival of Pochettino. It seems to have a real feel of togetherness about it. The squad seem to all like each other and Poch is their father figure. Just think back to Sherwood's time and how he managed to alienate pretty much the whole squad barring Adebayor and a few others. Apart from some dodgy results this season we have to buy into the fact this coach, this team and even Levy are taking us places.

The culture of our club has really changed since the arrival of Pochettino. It seems to have a real feel of togetherness about it. The squad seem to all like each other and Poch is their father figure. Just think back to Sherwood's time and how he managed to alienate pretty much the whole squad barring Adebayor and a few others. Apart from some dodgy results this season we have to buy into the fact this coach, this team and even Levy are taking us places.

Just to watch Little Winksy jumping into daddies.... i mean Poch's arms. Like he'd ridden his big boys bike without his stabilizers on for the first time.

It brought a tear to my eye, i tell ya.

Also, its been said before, but loved the fact that Kane is now seen as one of the more mature players in the squad. When he picked the ball out the net after his first goal, and then gently pushed Winks aside as her tried to celebrate with him, like an older brother dealing with a more impressionable younger sibling.

Couldn't agree more with you! You get the feeling with the training ground, the new stadium, our academy and with Poch that we have a great future to look forward to!

Just to watch Little Winksy jumping into daddies.... i mean Poch's arms. Like he'd ridden his big boys bike without his stabilizers on for the first time.

It brought a tear to my eye, i tell ya.

Also, its been said before, but loved the fact that Kane is now seen as one of the more mature players in the squad. When he picked the ball out the net after his first goal, and then gently pushed Winks aside as her tried to celebrate with him, like an older brother dealing with a more impressionable younger sibling.

Harry Kane, one of the mature men of the squad.......... he's 23 :kanehand: He's certainly come a long way from that tubby, spotty, lump of a player that made his debut under Redknapp. Surely he's nailed on to be the Captain one day?

Sorry this is the Winks thread and I've gone off on a tangent about the wrong Harry.

Winks is well on his way to being he player that both Carroll and Mason should have been.

Saturday was the first time he stopped hiding and playing easy safe passes (from the few games i saw him play), he demanded the ball, kept trying to dictate the tempo of the game, started forward movements and even got stuck in duels with players that have 3 times his body mass. Impressive performance.
Edit: check that vid when he leaves the pitch, strutting like a boss there

Last edited:
He may have been out of form for a majority of this season, but a lazy player doesn't regularly cover more distance than every other player on the pitch, as Eriksen did yet again on the weekend, and does almost every game he plays.

How many times do we here the saying that "A clever player stands still" or "A clever player just sits in the space".

Maybe Eriksen running all around the pitch isn't a positive, but a negative. Running yourself ragged is only a positive if you regularly win back the ball or close off passing angles. I don't think Eriksen did either against West Ham.

For me, him running about like a mad man shows a lack of composure and someone who is trying too hard to find space.

How many times do we here the saying that "A clever player stands still" or "A clever player just sits in the space".

Maybe Eriksen running all around the pitch isn't a positive, but a negative. Running yourself ragged is only a positive if you regularly win back the ball or close off passing angles. I don't think Eriksen did either against West Ham.

For me, him running about like a mad man shows a lack of composure and someone who is trying too hard to find space.
Nah, I respectfully disagree.

Eriksen is crucial to our press, but he doesn't do it in the same manic way that Lamela and Alli does, he's a lot more savvy than those two, but he also kind of riffs off them at the same time. He's always intelligently closing down passing lanes or occupying passing options while those two pressure the opponent, limiting their options.

I know that it's often considered that a good 'number 10' can find space by just standing still but I'm of the opinion that it's an antiquated notion and that all players have to work a lot harder now. I also don't think that type of play would be acceptable in Pochettino's system.

I also disagree with the third paragraph as well. When Eriksen was excellent last season he was still covering more ground than everyone else. Along with Alli (I think) he covers the most ground when he's playing poorly and the most when he's playing well, so i don't think his work rate is a barometer for his performance.

I was just saying that I think it's a massive fallacy that he doesn't try or put in the effort, not that the work rate is indicative of his performance. The work he puts in every match disproves that imo.

It's quite difficult to take a comment about youth seriously with that avatar

:sherwoodlol:

So mature and way more composed than tommy ever was (sadly), I would rush him he need a slow and steady development so I guess it will take 2 more years before we see him in full strength

Couple of years???
Fuck me, I'm surprised it wasn't taken on a Polaroid!!

Nah more like some Nokia Camera Phone, who remembers Nokia?

Winks looked very composed on the ball, hardly gave it away. Can't believe he's only had a handful of first team appearances as he's slotted in seamlessly.

I think the best credit you can give him is that last night, I genuinely didn't notice he was there... (adopts Brash Chicgao Mob accent) "an I don't mean dat in a baaad way!"
I mean that he fitted in seamlessly... it wasn't blatantly obvious we had a(nother) Youth Academy product in there.

No howling mistakes, no nervous mis-placed passes (and subsequent 'groans' from the crowd... you know who you are!) In fact, such was the assured control shown by Winks all game, I'd forgotten Dembele wasn't playing...

...shame the "He's one of our own...Harry Winks" chant didn't really get going.

Now we just need a smiley of him, and we're done!
:carrollwtf: :kanehand::deledoubt::roseunsure:

96% pass completion. Played more passes (104) than anyone else in the CL last night. Probably not getting the props because of eriksen shining, dele shining & Toby making his comeback. But they are some seriously impressive stats.

Back
Top Bottom