Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He reminds me more of John Pratt. Not a star player but played a useful part for the team.
That's a really good point of reference. Curiously, I really liked Pratt, although admittedly I didnt see too much of him. In that era (pre my time at the Lane), I loved all of them, all I had was MotD and occasionally a bit on ITV in rural Norfolk.

Just seen he's a Hackney lad, love him even more now! Especially this from him...

"I had been getting it in the neck a bit from some of the sections of the crowd at Spurs but Bill expected his players to be men, and he said that the crowd paid our wages and were entitled to have their opinions. So one day, before I was due to play my first game at Old Trafford, I asked him what I could expect. He replied that it would just be like playing at Spurs, except that up there 55,000 people would hate me, whereas at Spurs it was only 45,000!"

Seems he has an asbestos clearing business with Mark Falco. Also runs a window cleanining company

Proper football

More nostalgia about underrated players...

Underrated players by me in this case. For some reason I didn't rate Paul Miller that much, don't remember why. When I look through old games now I see he was a fine central defender. There you go, like Winksy now I guess.

Anyhow, I was living in Broadway Market, now a very hipster place I hear, back then it was a dump truth be told. After the 1982 cup final replay, me and my flat mate from Norfolk, also a Spur tho a bit less mental than me, went to celebrate the win. Our usual local on the Market was run by an Irish gooner, so we went further down toward Hackney Road, to a little (normally dull) pub just behind the hospital. It was a Shepherd and Neame pub, so it had good beer, but that was all it had to recommend it.

So we go in, close to closing time, and it was packed, with a big old East End spread on a few tables by the entrance. We get the beers in and we soon realise that everyone in there was Tottenham, so we were right at home. We got chatting to folks, got more bevied, sang a few songs and so on and it turned out that the guvner was Max's uncle, fucking ace. We stayed in there for ages, around about 3 am in comes Maxie to join in the fun.

Don't remember much after that. YIDS!

More nostalgia about underrated players...

Underrated players by me in this case. For some reason I didn't rate Paul Miller that much, don't remember why. When I look through old games now I see he was a fine central defender. There you go, like Winksy now I guess.

Anyhow, I was living in Broadway Market, now a very hipster place I hear, back then it was a dump truth be told. After the 1982 cup final replay, me and my flat mate from Norfolk, also a Spur tho a bit less mental than me, went to celebrate the win. Our usual local on the Market was run by an Irish gooner, so we went further down toward Hackney Road, to a little (normally dull) pub just behind the hospital. It was a Shepherd and Neame pub, so it had good beer, but that was all it had to recommend it.

So we go in, close to closing time, and it was packed, with a big old East End spread on a few tables by the entrance. We get the beers in and we soon realise that everyone in there was Tottenham, so we were right at home. We got chatting to folks, got more bevied, sang a few songs and so on and it turned out that the guvner was Max's uncle, fucking ace. We stayed in there for ages, around about 3 am in comes Maxie to join in the fun.

Don't remember much after that. YIDS!
Mark Falco never got the props Archibald Crooks got but never let us down. Tony Galvin I loved. John Chedozie could veer from the sublime to the ridiculous. Then there were the non entities: Dozzel, Caldewood, Mitchell Thomas. Players so average it was painful to watch them pretending to be players. Whats amazing is how well I recall them I forget what I had for dinner yesterday but Andy Sintons myriad faillings are burned into my brain

yea who else fucked up? aurier (another liabilty), sanchez (another) and winks (another). all three awful but the last one is the worst, as thats the one that really matters! final few seconds of a game and hes trying to get the ball under control, with west ham breathing down our necks in the final third...pure braindead. thank god jose is a winner
Others made 1 mistake in a 90 minute game. Winks made that 2 point dropping mistake in the 17 minutes he was on the pitch and also with a 1 goal lead on the last seconds of the match. It was a stupid bit of play and something we've come to expect of Winks nowadays.

Even Jose has started to realise how little he contributes and since over a month now he hasnt started a league match for us and most likely he wont start that many again.

Mark Falco never got the props Archibald Crooks got but never let us down. Tony Galvin I loved. John Chedozie could veer from the sublime to the ridiculous. Then there were the non entities: Dozzel, Caldewood, Mitchell Thomas. Players so average it was painful to watch them pretending to be players. Whats amazing is how well I recall them I forget what I had for dinner yesterday but Andy Sintons myriad faillings are burned into my brain
I quite liked Mitch, Calderwood even, for all their shortcomings. Dozell I'd rather forget mind.

Loved Chi-Chi-Chidozie though

Last edited:
Others made 1 mistake in a 90 minute game. Winks made that 2 point dropping mistake in the 17 minutes he was on the pitch and also with a 1 goal lead on the last seconds of the match. It was a stupid bit of play and something we've come to expect of Winks nowadays.

Even Jose has started to realise how little he contributes and since over a month now he hasnt started a league match for us and most likely he wont start that many again.
And yet multiple managers, club and England (who in their waking seconds know a million times more about football than any of us), call on him.

Because he won't ever let them down. Pim pam, pim pam, a solid 6.5 out of 10. Game in, game out.

Because he won't ever let them down
Nick Young Wtf GIF

Beyond your prejudice, can you point to a single or Spurs or England game where a poor Winks performance, beyond that of anyone else, has cost them the game?

You also seem to have completely ignored the "multiple managers, club and England (who in their waking seconds know a million times more about football than any of us)" point.

Beyond your prejudice, can you point to a single or Spurs or England game where a poor Winks performance, beyond that of anyone else, has cost them the game?

You also seem to have completely ignored the "multiple managers, club and England (who in their waking seconds know a million times more about football than any of us)" point.
hes probably cost us most games hes played in and we lost, because hes in an important position on the pitch and hes WAY out of his depth....it doesnt matter now, because jose has finally learned his lesson and hes not making the squad let alone first 11.

i dont expect you to understand the point of him costing us games that he hasnt made a direct error leading to goals etc by the way.

That's a biased way to view it.... As per the point you replied to; the goal that his error was a part of was no more costly than the 2 that preceded it.

A scoreline is decided upon an accumulation of goals conceeded.

If the 1st or 2nd goal had been handled better then the 3rd wouldn't have proven a pivotal moment.

Like you say, it's a 90minute game.

.....Leaving people with what they said they wanted which is Winks as nothing more than a squad player. Lo and behold the goalposts moved and now he just get's cunted off without even playing and peeps flock to this thread to stick the boot in even though he had a decent game for England last night.

can you name me a game where its been smooth sailing with him starting??? before he was somehow put into first 11 we used to have actually enjoyable games to watch, where we dominated from start to finish. only this season weve had games where we have been on top for 75% or more of the game and in complete control! and guess what? little harry winks or dele alli was no where to be seen...what a coincidence
will ferrell lol GIF by NBA

hes probably cost us most games hes played in and we lost, because hes in an important position on the pitch and hes WAY out of his depth....it doesnt matter now, because jose has finally learned his lesson and hes not making the squad let alone first 11.

i dont expect you to understand the point of him costing us games that he hasnt made a direct error leading to goals etc by the way.

So consecutive National and Club managers are clueless and keep picking a player who you say "hes WAY out of his depth" .... claiming only you know and we don't understand?

Could it be you who are way out of your depth when it comes to analysing football talent?

Winks is never going to be Modric, Ardiles or Hoddle but he is a very solid reliable, and yes a bit boring midfield player, the invisible squad player that all managers need, and that luckily in Winks we have.

That's a biased way to view it.... As per the point you replied to; the goal that his error was a part of was no more costly than the 2 that preceded it.
hahaha the irony is unreal! yes the two mistakes was also criminal, but winks is unforgivable as his is the one that matters and hes aware of the scoreline and the situation. aurier is a donkey for giving away yet another stupid freekick...sanchez is a donkey for heading the ball into his own net! but them mistakes are at 3-0 and 3-1. too see that only seconds remain and your team is pinned back from a team hungry to get a third goal and try bring down a clearance on the edge of the box, instead of putting your foot through it to hear the ref blow the final whistle and secure the win is inexcusable. you cant put that down to experience or anything like that its just simply retarded.

claiming only you know and we don't understand?
thankfully a lot of yids also know he isnt good enough.

yea the managers that keep picking him, poch who got sacked and southgate who...who cares!
hes not playing now is he? now theres an actual winner making decisions and not some muppet whos more interested in being everyones friend instead of winning games of football for the club that pays him to do so.

hahaha the irony is unreal!

I think you need to check the meaning of irony.

yes the two mistakes was also criminal, but winks is unforgivable as his is the one that matters and hes aware of the scoreline and the situation. aurier is a donkey for giving away yet another stupid freekick...sanchez is a donkey for heading the ball into his own net! but them mistakes are at 3-0 and 3-1. too see that only seconds remain and your team is pinned back from a team hungry to get a third goal and try bring down a clearance on the edge of the box, instead of putting your foot through it to hear the ref blow the final whistle and secure the win is inexcusable. you cant put that down to experience or anything like that its just simply.....

Look, if you want to scapegoat Winks for the final result and ignore the other 90+ minutes, then you're just mugging yourself off...

BTW: Your words:

"i dont expect you to understand the point of him costing us games that he hasnt made a direct error leading to goals etc by the way."

As arrogant as they are, they can just as easily be applied to other players too; not just those in your selective cross-hairs.

retarded.

Sort yourself out....

Last edited:
I missed most of it. I didn't hide that fact.

I'll put stats into context for you though.
I once played as a ringer for a Saturday team. They/we got beat 10-1
I got the 1.
I am fucking useless at football.

Just because he got an assist, lets not all assume he's back on the path to glory. Ireland are shit. I saw Keane rippping into them after the game. They barely touched the ball in the time I was watching it and most of the England players were fringe at best. Championship teams would have been better.
Keane ripping into Ireland must be his way of highlighting what an utterly shocking and negligent job he and Martin O'Neill did while in charge. They were such pussies and allowed grealish and rice to look elsewhere. If they had shown one drop of ambition and trust in younger players then those guys would have been capped long ago. Now we have a manager trying to play better football but with really average players. So Roy can fuck off, he is majorly culpable for allowing the best prospects to walk away. Dickheads
The only thing that could make us worse is if we had Winks in the team 🤭

can you name me a game where its been smooth sailing with him starting??? before he was somehow put into first 11 we used to have actually enjoyable games to watch, where we dominated from start to finish. only this season weve had games where we have been on top for 75% or more of the game and in complete control! and guess what? little harry winks or dele alli was no where to be seen...what a coincidence

What total drivel ............ go have a lie down.

So how many do you want? are you sure you follow Spurs? let's start with this season ....

Southampton 2-5 - Winks 90 minutes - pretty enjoyable game.
Maccabi Hafia 7-2 - Winks 90 minutes
Lask 3-0 - Winks 90 minutes
Ludogrets 3-1 - Winks 90 minutes

In fact the only game we've lost with Winks playing 90 minutes this season was Royal Antwerp ... so when asked to do the job it's fair to say with Winks it's been pretty smooth sailing ....

How about last year? In our 10 games after Covid Winks played 90 minutes 7 times with 4 wins and 3 draws achieved .... that seems to have been pretty smooth sailing as well.

There is no question that PEH is a step up, but Winks remains a more than useful squad player, and he's only 24 ... his best years as a holding midfield player are yet to come.

thankfully a lot of yids also know he isnt good enough.

yea the managers that keep picking him, poch who got sacked and southgate who...who cares!
hes not playing now is he? now theres an actual winner making decisions and not some muppet whos more interested in being everyones friend instead of winning games of football for the club that pays him to do so.

Only one muppet on show today - go look in the mirror

Back
Top Bottom