Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Usual Spurs tinted glasses. He was functional in a team that retained possession very well and had players like Dembele or Wanyma protecting him. He's hopeless at keeping the ball, he's hopeless at tackling, he's hopeless at getting back into position after anyone loses the ball, he rarely ever played a pass more than 10 yards exclusively favouring a safety pass.

He's a very average footballer who happened to emerge in a team that was pushing for a title. As the team around him declined all of his shortcomings , of which there are many, became more obvious.
His injury cannot be used as an excuse. Lots of players have injuries and come back. Lots of young players have them, come back and carry on their upwards trajectory. He just isn't a very good footballer.
you patronising twat

you're an ignorant football critic, therefore everything you just posted means fuck all.

"Some Spurs fans are not going to like this piece and they certainly won't read it, but I think Harry Winks deserves a much better goodbye than he's likely to get this summer." - Alastair Gold

Jane Lynch You Are The Weakest Link GIF by NBC

"Some Spurs fans are not going to like this piece and they certainly won't read it, but I think Harry Winks deserves a much better goodbye than he's likely to get this summer." - Alastair Gold

The fact that he has to put that is mental, why do people act like he's treated the club like Gio Lo Celso :confused:

Written by you?

Let's break this down shall we

Winks needs regular football this coming season, particularly if he holds any hopes of getting back into Gareth Southgate's England squad ahead of the winter World Cup in Qatar
FLOL
If, or more likely when, the midfielder leaves Spurs this summer there will be a certain sadness about it all. Winks is Tottenham Hotspur through and through, having grown up a fan and been part of the club's academy since he was just five-years-old.
So was Tommy Carrol, so was Ryan Mason, so were plenty of other average footballers who left after initially getting over hyped because they came from our youth setup.
Mauricio Pochettino immediately saw a talent in the player when he arrived in 2014 and Winks would later say that the Argentine walked in on the then 18-year-old as he was signing his first professional deal with academy head John McDermott: "He came in and shook my hand and he said, and I don’t know if he was being truthful or not, 'I have seen your videos, and I told John to sign you up straightaway'. I was gobsmacked at the gaffer just saying that."
Probably got worse rather than better in the intervening 8 years. Yes. That was EIGHT years ago. POch stopped playing him eventually.
Pochettino took his time in nurturing Winks. In his first season the teenager travelled with the team everywhere but didn't play, other than three minutes in the Europa League. The next season was similar, albeit with 17 minutes given to him in the European competition across two substitute appearance.
20 Minutes in 2 full seasons. This claim it was Poch taking his time nurturing him is opinion. It was more likely that he wasn't good enough. (also opinion tbf)
2016 when he showed Pochettino he was ready in matches against Atletico Madrid and Juventus. The regular appearances duly came in the Premier League in the months ahead, with 33 appearances across all competitions until an ankle injury late in the campaign.
So by the time he had this ankle injury that every one thinks set him back, he'd played in a grand total of 33 games in all comps. In one of the best performing Spurs teams of the modern era. And let's look at it properly. 3 PL starts and 18 sub appearances. In that same season Dier started 34 games in DMF. Demebele 24. Wanyama 35. Overall, Winks started just 12 games in all comps. The rest were subs.

The rest of it is just opinion. The so called eye catching performances were in games where the whole team were absolutely brilliant. And then it all ended and Winks is what we see today.

You're one of his fiercest supporters. I can't fathom why anyone is. He's behind younger kids today. Never let sentiment get in the way of ambition. He's nowhere near good enough for THFC. Fan or not. Youth or not. He is nowhere near good enough.

It's fcuking poor to slate this guy so continually as many have done. He never picked himself.

I fcuking hate it.

Sure it's the right time for him to go but unlike some of the dogsh!t and uncommitted players he has been like a beacon.

Shame on many who berate him so mercilessly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom