Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That shot not allowed in Ange’s system …

But in all seriousness, Son is usually double marked making it hard for him to get any space - which is why Johnson really needs to start being more clinical on the right.
Yeah, he won't have that luxury of space in the PL. Clubs and players have known how to mark him out of those positions preventing to take those shots.

On the other hand, I am so fucking in love with the Korean jersey designs. Both are Nike, I have no idea why when they come to our club kit they did such a shit job.

That shot not allowed in Ange’s system …

But in all seriousness, Son is usually double marked making it hard for him to get any space - which is why Johnson really needs to start being more clinical on the right.
I mean he hit some bangers last year and it was one of his worst as a Spur.

A few weeks have gone by and I wonder what would we would all be feeling right now had Sonny finished that 1v1 against City and Woolwich won the league

That moment might be one of the most critical moments in recent PL history

Yea not sure who the opposition team is in those highlight vids are but they look terrible.

It's crazy how much football these guys play. Do they ever get a real break these days?

Yea not sure who the opposition team is in those highlight vids are but they look terrible.

It's crazy how much football these guys play. Do they ever get a real break these days?
2026 World Cup qualifier vs Singapore. It's just the 2nd round group stage in the Asian qualifiers for the World Cup though. So the worse teams such as Singapore won't make it through to the 3rd round or 4th round group stages..

A comment from slightly further down... apparently he said I am uncomfortable speaking about it as there is nothing to talk about and he doesn't want people to misinterpret his words. He did not say he is uncomfortable with the situation.

So that's that cleared up!

Let's see the media twist it to Sonny wants out and demands crisis talks with the club!

What would people rather do with Son - give him a new contract and see him retire as a Spurs player, or wait for an opportune time to sell him for a decent fee?

And if it's option 2, when is that opportune time? I see him having a very sudden decline at some point where he goes from complete asset to the team to a bit of a burden. And tbh, I don't think it'll take another 2 or 3 years for that to happen.

What would people rather do with Son - give him a new contract and see him retire as a Spurs player, or wait for an opportune time to sell him for a decent fee?

And if it's option 2, when is that opportune time? I see him having a very sudden decline at some point where he goes from complete asset to the team to a bit of a burden. And tbh, I don't think it'll take another 2 or 3 years for that to happen.
We need to move away from him being guaranteed starter to being a rotation option.

We can't just play him for 10 games in a row when he's on turd form (which happens at some point every season). Werner is not great but he's probably the best Son cover we've ever had so hopefully Ange actually has the balls to start him even with Son available now and then.

Keep him round for the PR and vibes but he will have a reduced role and probably moves on in 2/3 years.

We need to move away from him being guaranteed starter to being a rotation option.

We can't just play him for 10 games in a row when he's on turd form (which happens at some point every season). Werner is not great but he's probably the best Son cover we've ever had so hopefully Ange actually has the balls to start him even with Son available now and then.

Keep him round for the PR and vibes but he will have a reduced role and probably moves on in 2/3 years.
Absolutely agree. Son has amazing purple patches every season but also has a spell where he's next to useless. I always think back to his first few years at Spurs where he often got taken off after 70-80 minutes, looking like he'd just finished an ultra marathon. He was more consistent when he didn't play 90 minutes of every game as a guy in his early 20's - so why would be be in his early 30s?

Absolutely agree. Son has amazing purple patches every season but also has a spell where he's next to useless. I always think back to his first few years at Spurs where he often got taken off after 70-80 minutes, looking like he'd just finished an ultra marathon. He was more consistent when he didn't play 90 minutes of every game as a guy in his early 20's - so why would be be in his early 30s?
Its also how the season started when he (and Maddison, AND the team) were all doing well. Both of them getting taken off before full time, looking fresher for the next game. Then the going gets tough / injuries hit / whatever, and all of a sudden he is in for the full 90+ every game. Lets please please please get some depth and it'll up everyone's performance and longevity.

I think we've missed the boat in terms of selling him for a big fee

New contract

Gary Neville can’t believe what he’s been told about Tottenham’s Heung-Min Son now​

Charles Jones
Sat 15 June 2024 8:55, UK
Heung-Min Son is one of the best players in the Premier League.
Not only is he a technically incredible footballer, Son is also one of the fittest and fastest players in the Premier League.

However, that seemingly wasn’t always the case at Tottenham.

Indeed, speaking on The Overlap, Kieran Trippier has shared some insight into Son’s fitness regime when he first came to Tottenham, and, interestingly, he noted that the South Korean was a part of a sub-group that had to work in an altitude chamber to lose weight when he first signed.

Gary Neville was shocked when he heard this about Son, exclaiming that there’s nothing to the striker in terms of carrying extra weight.

Gary Neville shocked by Son’s extra training​

Neville was stunned when he was told that Son had to lose weight upon his arrival at Tottenham.

“I was in the chamber for four or five months. Jesus put me in there after every session for 35/40 minutes doing fat-burning stuff. We were on the treadmill, on the rower,” Trippier said.

“Who’s we?” Neville asked.

“I may as well throw them under the bus. There was me, Toby, Sonny was in there a couple of times,” Trippier said.

“What? Son who plays football for Tottenham now? There’s nothing on him,” Neville said.

Tottenham standards are high​

Son has always looked to be a super-fit player, but the standards at a football club like Tottenham under a manager like Mauricio Pochettino are unlike anything most people can imagine.

Son may genuinely only have been carrying a few extra pounds, but in the Premier League, that can be make or break.

The extra training in an altitude chamber may have been harsh, but, ultimately, it seems to have worked as Son has transformed into one of the best and one of the fittest players in the Premier League since signing for Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom