Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also funny how you went onto VVD and cling to it for dear life because you don’t want to explain how Mane is better than Son at his best, as opposed to Son at his worst.
Well 'VVD isn't better than Phil Jones' is an actual - and indeed rather embarrassing - statement by you, who has said that Eriksen is the best midfielder in Europe and when?

Ok - from Xmas 2018 then.

And the consistency thing is actually why this argument came up. The argument here is that we always compare our players when they are at their worst, to opposition players when they are at their best. If Son managed to put in good performances week in, week out, his upside would be higher than Mane's, but he can't.

But what happens next season, if Mane can't replicate his current form? Will we still be comparing him with Son, or will it be back to comparing Son to Salah, because he's in a better patch at the time.
for me its consistency as a reasonable length of time. A patch is a short amount of time and evident of inconsistency. Here we have two players who have entered their prime together. One seems to have developed consistency - is one of the most important players for the best team on the planet, and has played at consistent world level for the best part of two years (he was excellent before xmas 2018 as well). The other is still talked about in terms of potential and 'if only'. We all know Son on his day is absolutely outstanding - and i wont be dramatic and act like its rare - he's consistent enough for a top team but not enough (for me) to be talked about in the same bracket as the top wide forwards in the world, of which mane is one.

Is is possible that Mane's form will drop off for a significantly long period of time and Son will do the opposite? yes.... is it likely based on what we've seen, no.

In the PL , since he's been here , Son gets a goal or assist every 2 matches approx. Mane gets those every 1.5 matches and Salah gets them once every match at Liverpool . Son had a great November but the other two are excellent almost all year round.

In the PL , since he's been here , Son gets a goal or assist every 2 matches approx. Mane gets those every 1.5 matches and Salah gets them once every match at Liverpool . Son had a great November but the other two are excellent almost all year round.

But you also have to consider what is the biggest difference between these 3 players is that 2 play for one club. A better 'control' if we wanted to really know who was better was if they all played in the same club/team. But the reality is they don't.

Dearly me my dads bigger than your dad. Football and building successful teams is so much more than this. Here's my take there is very little in quality between Mane and Son, but they have different skill sets so score different types of goal. I sadly suspect if you had swapped them over the last four years Sonny under Klopp has medals Mane under Poch zip. I know a load of Liverpool fans who very much want Son purchased. Liverpool's owners invested in their manager, who was also was braver than ours when it matter. The painful thing about Liverpool is how very close to their destiny we came. Two roads diverged in an empty wood.

I’ve not once spoken about consistency in this debate though.
You can find me calling Son a 50/50 merchant all over the forum.
I’ve said at his best he’s better than Mane.

The answer I got was “you said Jan/Jones/Smalling is better than VVD”

The post of mine you responded to was though.... As was what kicked off the broader debate surrounding Son....

Never mind..... If you'd rather continue in the “you said Jan/Jones/Smalling is better than VVD” vein then fill yer boots.

But you also have to consider what is the biggest difference between these 3 players is that 2 play for one club. A better 'control' if we wanted to really know who was better was if they all played in the same club/team. But the reality is they don't.
Then we cant compare any player to any other player ever unless they play in the same team vs the same opposition. Reality is, we can see the difference in their abilities. While Son can score great goals with his pace and dribbling, his decision making and finishing lets him down far too often and has far too many poor games in comparison. We love him cos he's ours, but both him and Lucas are not as good as the liverpool duo but def. good enough for a top 4 squad.

The post of mine you responded to was though.... As was what kicked off the broader debate surrounding Son....

Never mind..... If you'd rather continue in the “you said Jan/Jones/Smalling is better than VVD” vein then fill yer boots.
I wouldn’t rather continue with that.
Sorry for responding to you on topic

Back
Top Bottom