Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bony to City, Ba to Chelsea, Torres to Chelsea, Carroll to Liverpool, Costa to Atletico, Aubameyang to Woolwich, Piatek to Milan, Tosun to Everton, Suarez to Liverpool, Dzeko to City. And that's just those good enough to make the transfer notable.

The record of strikers moving in January is exceptionally poor with the occasional hit. It would be stupid to tie our hands financially to a player we didn't really want as a mid-season panic buy.

We absolutely need a top option to rotate with Kane brought in this summer. But buying someone off the rubbish heap in January would've been a stupid idea. The best you lot of club management geniuses could come up with was Piatek, who lasted under a year at Milan scoring just 13 in 36 matches...this was the man meant to save our season. You're having a fucking laugh.

I saw parrot play v Burnley. We were 5-0 up and not really trying to score but just playing game out. However he came back to get the ball and played some tidy passes. If we are going for goal in closing stages then he would be more effective in the opposing area.

It's weird: a fracture painless enough to play on for a full game but serious enough to require surgery and several weeks (or more?) out.

Did he fracture his scaphoid (a bone in the wrist where you have to worry about a vascular necrosis if you don't treat it right) or something?
:sonhmm:

It's weird: a fracture painless enough to play on for a full game but serious enough to require surgery and several weeks (or more?) out.

Did he fracture his scaphoid (a bone in the wrist where you have to worry about a vascular necrosis if you don't treat it right) or something?
:sonhmm:
I think he seemed very much to be in pain for the first half, but am pretty sure they gave him a shot during half-time. Now, did they know it was a fracture and give him the shot anyway to get him through the game? Your guess is as good as mine. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sonny knew it was bad, but tried to play it down and just asked for something to numb the pain so he could play the rest of the match. Such is the state of our club. Sad, but also makes me proud to have a player like Son.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Sonny knew it was bad, but tried to play it down and just asked for something to numb the pain so he could play the rest of the match. Such is the state of our club. Sad, but also makes me proud to have a player like Son.
What a legend. Ndombele would've waved the white flag and ran his fat ass to the locker room.

/u/Thisguykpops summarized part 2 of Son's book.
  • The word no longer exists, but I was a “mercenary.” Dad would tell me to go to a tournament to fill in for teams that needed extra players. I don't particularly recall them. After it was over, I went back to ball lifting with dad for more training.
  • I do remember one tournament. Well..more like an event. Adidas had an event “cannonball shot” to give away Playstation to the fastest kicker. when Dad saw the laser come out of my eyes he took me to the corner and told me how to shoot a soccer ball for the first time. I didn’t learn this because we were still at the stage of “mastering the ball.” Naturally I knew how to pass, shoot, but it was the first time dad told me in detail how to “kick” a soccer ball . [he won 1st place out of elementary group, and was 2nd strongest overall when including junior highs]
  • Nearing last year of 8th- grade [korean system is 1-6 elementary, 7-9 junior high], dad decided that it was time for real game experience. So I joined the team. [talks about how he joined]...some things were confusing. The school system was vastly different from the way dad trained us. particularly... we ran back/forth on the soccer field without a ball. It was boring. They said it was so that we could have better stamina. I can’t say that it really helped. [long story short, from this team’s role and eventually getting the attention of high level recruiter, Son receives a scholarship to train abroad with 6 other rising stars in germany]
  • My dad always reiterated his point. “ Min...you haven’t accomplished anything. Never forget this. You cannot be satisfied with going to just europe. Your goal was to go to the premiere league. Right now you are in the neighborhood of your dream. If you stay happy and work hard you will be able to live in the dream” [this was when was recruited to play in germany in hamburg?=]
  • The biggest key word for foreign players is “adjustment.” not only inside the game but also in daily life. If you are stressed from daily life, you cannot bring out your skill in the ground”
  • I NEED TO EAT RICE. But hamburg youth team wouldn’t just make rice just for one player, and living in a dorm, making your own food was not a possibility. Eating outside costs too much time and money. I would browse the internet looking at korean food. Its funny now thinking about it, but my fantasy of playing in Europe was just a daily reminder of wanting to eat food.
  • I would talk to my brother to complain. I want to go back to korea, i want ramen, i would complain endlessly. Dad would simply say “success is pre-pay.” He said you must put 10, 20 years into investment before you see the results. But dad knew and felt the pain. Eventually, he would sell everything and save up what little he had in korea and rent out a cheapest hotel near our training ground. [he brought lot of rice for son to eat ]
  • After observing our training, he told me “now it's time to train your muscle.” Dad was not the type who instruct with hands in his pocket. He did exactly the same lifting that I did. If anything, there were times he lifted more than me. [on the documentary, it talks about how dad would test our a routine to see if it would be beneficial before making son follow the routine]
  • Near the end of June, going back to Germany, we trained with the 1st tier team. I even saw rudd Van Nisterlrooy that I saw in TV. It felt surreal. He came up to me and said “do you know ji sung park?” Nisterlrooy played with Ji in manchester and had a good feeling with korean players. I knew him well but like nisterlrooy, he was a superstar in my book. Before I said thank you for talking to me he said “you have special talent. Have confidence and work hard” I don’t remember anything else after that. “Did this just happen?”
  • After pre-season and after a couple games in hamburg in 2010-2011, our last test was against chelsey. It was 1-1, and i was put into the game on the 2nd half at 37 minutes. It seemed like it was going to be a tie, but I made a goal. Everybody came to congratulate me. But right before the whistle, carvalho and I collided and i fell down. Next morning I went to the hospital. I didn’t need the explanation once I saw the x-ray. The bone was visibly “popped.” With cast around the foot, I went back to watch the game at the home field.1st tier team was being filmed and when i saw people change into the uniform, the tears kept welling up inside. Losing my chance right before 1st tier team, how i hated carvalho, and i hated how i fought for the ball in the end. All the 1st tier members came up and said ‘stay strong.’ I still held onto my tears inside
  • After the filming was over, I went back to the restroom to calm my feelings. Thats when nisterlrooy came and held onto my shoulder. “Its ok. We’ll wait for you” then all the tears I held came back up and I started crying. It was such simple words, but his words penetrated deeply into my heart.
  • When they saw a 19 year old, new fresh korean player cry, all the staff came and tried to make me feel better. The place that brought me in, the place where my youth contract was made, where i was given a chance for 1st team, it was time when my harshest winter was warmed up and embraced my heart. That is what hamburg means to me.

I was too, but imo, Poch knew what he was doing. Son used to be one of those players who get burned out very quickly with no rest. At least, he was like that in Bundesliga.

One of the few players that seems to have benefited long-term from Poch's hardcore fitness program....

Son has been utter toilet for over two months by the way before we all start re writing history.

Yes he’s scored some important goals but he wasn’t on the pitch I guess someone else would have scored them, and a few more of the absolute sitters he’s wasted.

No, this isn’t good, but he’s hardly been our catalyst. Time for Parrot.
If we don’t use him now, might as well just sell him.

Who else would have got in the positions to score? No one. All the chances, counters, one on ones seem to fall to him. He's missed more than he's scored no doubt, but to say he's toilet. Bit of an insult. Who else will step up. Dele's brother?

Back
Top Bottom