Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is not a recent phenomenon, this is just Son. He's not a guy known for dribbling, ball retention, and just general build up play.

You can't play him the way Klopp plays Mane/Salah or fat frank plays Pulisic. You try to get in behind the defence rather than letting him try to do it himself.
You have a wishful blinkered view of Mane and Salah.
They are very wasteful too. It's just the insane energy of Pool XI and great crossing from full backs always put them into good positions.

You have a wishful blinkered view of Mane and Salah.
They are very wasteful too. It's just the insane energy of Pool XI and great crossing from full backs always put them into good positions.
That's the diffrence though, they're wasteful, Son isn't. They're good on the ball, Son isn't. It isn't necessarily a comment of their overall quality, but the nature of their playstyle.

Son just has to be used differently. He is not a player to run a CB/FB ragged for 90 mins with the ball at his feet. He has to do by making clever runs off the ball.

The way Mane had his 1v1 war of attrition against Aurier is not something Son can do. Conversely, Mane would likely not have finished that Son scored today.

You reside in America no?

Cat Goodbye GIF

I know Son is very popular here and I should say that he is one of my favourite players by a distance but I have to say that the rate at which he has been losing the ball in the last few games have been shocking to me. He seems to give the ball away 3 out of 5 times. The entire team struggles with ball retention but Son seems to be one of the chief culprits. He really needs to improve this.

But who cares if he continues to bang in goals, right?
Not really anymore than the other attacking players around him.

For example, the stats for the game vs Leeds (source: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...land-Premier-League-2020-2021-Tottenham-Leeds)

Most Dispossessed (Player is dispossessed by the opponent):

Bergwijn - 3
Ndombele - 3
Son - 3
Kane - 2

Unsuccessful Touches (Bad Control):

Kane - 4
Bergwijn - 3
Ndombele - 2
Son - 2

And then passing accuracy:

Vinicius - 100%
Sissoko - 90%
Son - 88.9%
Davies - 86.7%
Bergwijn - 78.8%
(some selected other attackers):
Ndombele - 72.7%
Moura - 70%
Kane 64.5%

So in other words, he wasn't dispossessed more than any of our other attackers, whilst having less unsuccessful touches than our other attackers, and better passing accuracy than our other attackers.

Not really anymore than the other attacking players around him.

For example, the stats for the game vs Leeds (source: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...land-Premier-League-2020-2021-Tottenham-Leeds)

Most Dispossessed (Player is dispossessed by the opponent):

Bergwijn - 3
Ndombele - 3
Son - 3
Kane - 2

Unsuccessful Touches (Bad Control):

Kane - 4
Bergwijn - 3
Ndombele - 2
Son - 2

And then passing accuracy:

Vinicius - 100%
Sissoko - 90%
Son - 88.9%
Davies - 86.7%
Bergwijn - 78.8%
(some selected other attackers):
Ndombele - 72.7%
Moura - 70%
Kane 64.5%

So in other words, he wasn't dispossessed more than any of our other attackers, whilst having less unsuccessful touches than our other attackers, and better passing accuracy than our other attackers.

Good stats. But I meant over the last few games. It is something I have closely observed. Hard to argue against the notion that the entire team has been poor with ball retention though.

This is not a recent phenomenon, this is just Son. He's not a guy known for dribbling, ball retention, and just general build up play.

You can't play him the way Klopp plays Mane/Salah or fat frank plays Pulisic. You try to get in behind the defence rather than letting him try to do it himself.

I actually don't expect him to be the dribbler he is not. What I meant is simply not losing the ball easily. The last few games, I've seen us lose too many balls when they get to Son. I feel that if he steps up this aspect of his game, we'll be a more dangerous prospect for opponents. But I have to emphasise it has not just been him. The whole team has been poor in this regard. Maybe because I am a massive Son fan, I tend to observe him more closely than most, so he has stood out most to me.

Back
Top Bottom