Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm a South Korean and I follow spurs because of Son. *a bit obvious* anyway... I feel like Son could've called as world class player if he had decent players on his back like Eriksen. But... to be called as world class player you don't rely on someone else's passes and what not... when you get the ball you create the opportunity and score a goal... that's a definition of world class in my opinion... Son's pace along with finishing is world class there's no doubt about that but something else really missing and I don't know what that is... maybe his lack of consistency? dribbling is decent but not really a world class tier level? just my word here. And oh... I think he plays better when he's in CF than winger.

I'm a South Korean and I follow spurs because of Son. *a bit obvious* anyway... I feel like Son could've called as world class player if he had decent players on his back like Eriksen. But... to be called as world class player you don't rely on someone else's passes or what not... when you get the ball you create the opportunity and score a goal... that's a definition of world class in my opinion... Son's pace along with finishing is world class there's no doubt about that but something else really missing and I don't know what that is... maybe his lack of consistency? dribbling is decent but not really a world class tier level? just my word here. And oh... I think he he plays better when he's in CF than winger.
It's really a mentality thing with Son. To be blunt, he plays like a p*ssy too often.

He doesn't have a killer mentality that the world class players have.

Most of the time he seems just happy to be there which is fine and all, but it's clear that he just doesn't have the ambition to take it to the next level.

What's interesting is that when Kane is out and he's expected to step up, he usually does step up and plays like a killer. But when Kane's there, he more often than not just defers to Kane to do the heavy lifting.

I'm a South Korean and I follow spurs because of Son. *a bit obvious* anyway... I feel like Son could've called as world class player if he had decent players on his back like Eriksen. But... to be called as world class player you don't rely on someone else's passes and what not... when you get the ball you create the opportunity and score a goal... that's a definition of world class in my opinion... Son's pace along with finishing is world class there's no doubt about that but something else really missing and I don't know what that is... maybe his lack of consistency? dribbling is decent but not really a world class tier level? just my word here. And oh... I think he he plays better when he's in CF than winger.

Hey! Glad Son brought you to us.

I agree he's better at CF, his best attribute (by far) is his finishing, so maximising how many times you can get him through on goal is the best thing for him. As you say his dribbling isn't elite, and he lacks the agility and balance of a Salah, so out wide he can often struggle to get the better of some fullbacks.

He's one of the best finishers in the world, the numbers show this. But really top wide players can rip their opposing fullbacks to shreds regularly, and Son lacks the tools to do that. Playing him off a more physical CF who can give him the license to play on the shoulder of the last defender and get in behind is his best role, so really excited to see him in that role if Conte comes.

Please excuse my English in advanced because my first language is Korean. But yeah I agree with both KaneDomBadBoy KaneDomBadBoy and Deuterz Deuterz . I get what why NdomBadboy is getting that kind of impression about Son. And I completely agree with Raumdeuterz about Son. As much as I want everyone to called Son as world class he's just not at the moment. He's just underneath there if that make sense. I'm not sure if Son would ever make there but I hope he does because he's like my brother lol but we will see :)

I'm a South Korean and I follow spurs because of Son. *a bit obvious* anyway... I feel like Son could've called as world class player if he had decent players on his back like Eriksen. But... to be called as world class player you don't rely on someone else's passes and what not... when you get the ball you create the opportunity and score a goal... that's a definition of world class in my opinion... Son's pace along with finishing is world class there's no doubt about that but something else really missing and I don't know what that is... maybe his lack of consistency? dribbling is decent but not really a world class tier level? just my word here. And oh... I think he plays better when he's in CF than winger.

You admit it. So I'm fine with that. But those that clearly are but deny it are annoying as fuck. Especially when they try to be a smart ass constantly, like Luvf, despite actually knowing as much about Spurs as Donald Trump.

The whole 'world class' thing is a joke. This is because everyone has their own definition of what world class is and what it means. I have literally talked to people who think world class is defined by playing international football haha. And on the other extreme, some people seem to think they need to get into an all All Time World XI.

So players like Messi & Ronaldo are or were world class by almost everyone's definition of world class. But when it comes to players like Son and Kane, then whether they are considered world class or not is going to vary so much depending on the individuals own interpretation of what 'world class' is.

So really it's actually just a pointless debate that is never-ending.

The whole 'world class' thing is a joke. This is because everyone has their own definition of what world class is and what it means. I have literally talked to people who think world class is defined by playing international football haha. And on the other extreme, some people seem to think they need to get into an all All Time World XI.

So players like Messi & Ronaldo are or were world class by almost everyone's definition of world class. But when it comes to players like Son and Kane, then whether they are considered world class or not is going to vary so much depending on the individuals own interpretation of what 'world class' is.

If Son and Kane were truly world class we wouldn't be sitting 6-8th place every season and having to sack every manager we get.

Don't get me wrong, Son is a wonderful talent but he lacks the consistency to be put in that top bucket.

When he plays well, we usually win. But he goes missing 1/2 the season hence a big reason why we aren't finishing higher than 6-8th place.

Top top players are bringing it 80-90% of games they play in and rarely go completely MIA (even when they have off days) like Son and Kane do.

If Son and Kane were truly world class we wouldn't be sitting 6-8th place every season and having to sack every manager we get.

Don't get me wrong, Son is a wonderful talent but he lacks the consistency to be put in that top bucket.

When he plays well, we usually win. But he goes missing 1/2 the season hence a big reason why we aren't finishing higher than 6-8th place.

Top top players are bringing it 80-90% of games they play in and rarely go completely MIA (even when they have off days) like Son and Kane do.
Can't rely on only 2 players to put us back in the top 4....

We need better midfield and defenders.

We have also been waiting on Levy to sign a back up striker since Vinicius...

Management is to blame for where we are now.

Can't rely on only 2 players to put us back in the top 4....

We need better midfield and defenders.

We have also been waiting on Levy to sign a back up striker since Vinicius...

Management is to blame for where we are now.
I would agree with that but as I mentioned, he goes missing 1/2 the season. And when he's not playing well, he can go completely missing. Same thing goes for Kane.

For me world-class is largely someone that could play for just about any other side. Kane at his best could have lead the line for any side, so for me, he was world-class. Whether he still is or can be again is a different question altogether, though I certainly don't think he's suddenly finished as a player. Also consistency. Lots of players can have a world-class season, perhaps two. You can say that Dele Alli was world-class for a couple of season's, certainly in his position. But genuine world-class players do it year after year, season upon season.

lol it's one of the worst debates you can have on the internet

Every managers dream

Every teammates dream player

Ultimate team player

World class

Top top top player.

The secret is getting out

Back
Top Bottom