Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's just another one of our players that is very ineffectual against Chelsea, they know how to mark him out of the game. I'm sure he'll start on Saturday against Wolves and we'll see Sonny back to his best.

He always plays poorly against Chelsea. They know how to shut him down.

The way to stop Son is to have a decent defender man mark him throughout the game (Reece James) and put constant pressure on him, making him play with his back to goal. That's all there is to it.

Son still hasn't been able to find a way to crack Chelsea. But in all fairness to him, it doesn't help that we were getting slammed until Richarlison sort of opened up the game for us by applying pressure up top.
If we had a strong midfield I don't think it will be a problem.

Spurs never won in Stamford Bridge since 1830 or something and Son is at fault because he doesn't score a bunch when he plays them?

Spurs never won in Stamford Bridge since 1830 or something and Son is at fault because he doesn't score a bunch when he plays them?
Son is at fault cos he played crap, just like Kane and others. It's not about not scoring he could have a 10/10 game without scoring.

He wasn't at fault for the performance but he was part of it, as like the rest of our forward players he was garbage yesterday, and Reece James had him in his pocket other than one run in the first half. As good as he was against Southampton I thought that Kulusevski was the worst of the front three against Chelsea though. Did nothing but hang on to the ball far too long and lose it any time he got it. All three were trash going by the standards they set for themselves, but the focus, as always, seems to be on Kane. Despite the fact that he got us the point.

Thought Reece James was superb today.. didn't give Son a sniff. Any few breaks he did get fell apart due to a bad touch or being fouled. Didn't help that Kane was swallowed up for much at the game and he didn't get to open his legs and run beyond their defence. Kulu should have put him away in the first few mins with a better ball. It's Son, I wouldn't worry about it, he might struggle for a few games but he'll be back scoring soon. The beauty of it is that we've brought in Richarlison who changed the game with his presence and physicality today, and we don't have to pummel Son with 90mins every game until he finds his form.

He wasn't at fault for the performance but he was part of it, as like the rest of our forward players he was garbage yesterday, and Reece James had him in his pocket other than one run in the first half. As good as he was against Southampton I thought that Kulusevski was the worst of the front three against Chelsea though. Did nothing but hang on to the ball far too long and lose it any time he got it. All three were trash going by the standards they set for themselves, but the focus, as always, seems to be on Kane. Despite the fact that he got us the point.

Kane scored today and got the team a point at a hostile ground. Can't really say now he never deliver in big games. I always said the reason why he doesn't seem to score in big games is not because he for some magical reason can't do it in big games its more because the big teams in big games are usually able to shut him down and hence shut the Harry Kane team Spurs.

Great player in bad game shocker. Our forward line were stifled with zero attacking support from the wing backs and the midfield essentially out of the game, so not an easy game for anyone to do well in. Especially up against Reece James.

Will never get the urge people have to drop him. He was the league's top scorer last season without pens. Liverpool don't drop Salah every single time he has a poor match because they know long term its worth having him on the pitch more often than not.

Great player in bad game shocker. Our forward line were stifled with zero attacking support from the wing backs and the midfield essentially out of the game, so not an easy game for anyone to do well in. Especially up against Reece James.

Will never get the urge people have to drop him. He was the league's top scorer last season without pens. Liverpool don't drop Salah every single time he has a poor match because they know long term its worth having him on the pitch more often than not.

Agree. He didn’t even really have a bad game. He didn’t really get any opportunities.

Agree. He didn’t even really have a bad game. He didn’t really get any opportunities.
he didnt really have a bad game? did you actually watch it? whats going through your head when hes losing the ball every time he gets it? whats going through your head when he loses the ball for their first goal? whats going through your head when hes out of position for their second goal? are you actually watching the games? is anything actually going through your head?

he didnt really have a bad game? did you actually watch it? whats going through your head when hes losing the ball every time he gets it? whats going through your head when he loses the ball for their first goal? whats going through your head when hes out of position for their second goal? are you actually watching the games? is anything actually going through your head?
How many times did he receive the ball in the final third?

Kane scored today and got the team a point at a hostile ground. Can't really say now he never deliver in big games. I always said the reason why he doesn't seem to score in big games is not because he for some magical reason can't do it in big games its more because the big teams in big games are usually able to shut him down and hence shut the Harry Kane team Spurs.

To an extent you are right, and I think it's partly why Richarlison was brought to the club, because he is an absolute disruptor.

Good post and agree.

Son is not a problem until he really is.

I back him to open his account against Wolves.

Whilst Son has been subdued in the first 2 games, we've had other players come in and change matches (Richi Laaa & Perisic yesterday)
What was more concerning in previous years was that if So or Kane weren't firing, WE weren't scoring.... not so this season (so far)
We've spread the 6 goals out already (Dier, Sess & Højberg scoring already) add Kane & Deki's contribution (+1 og) and suddenly we're not over reliant on any one player.

He's had pretty much 12 months of solid football including Internationals/WC Qualifying and the travelling that every S.Korea International match he plays involves...
I also think his status in S.Korea has reached new levels, (just look at the reception he got in the Summer tour over there) ...and with that comes even more responsibility and expectation. He's got a superstar status back home, that is now becoming global.
And that in itself may be too much for such a humble and nice guy to deal with all at once!

It's not an excuse, but he may well take a few weeks to get fully up to speed....

It still wouldn't surprise me if Conte rested him on Saturday... not as a punishment, but just to take the pressure off him mentally, and not get into a rut if it's just not clicking this early into the season...
We shouldn't be panicking yet!

But in the meantime, we have plenty of quality up front to soften the blow, and copensate.

No, Son was at fault not because of not scoring.
He was at fault because he lost every single 50-50, except for the situation where he got Chelsea player booked.
And he was at fault because at tracking back, he mostly was not even close / aggressive enough and that gave Chelsea players more room and confidence.

He could have been decent without scoring or assisting as well. But he really failed to dribble past his markers and lost the ball in process... very many times at that. He was not able to retain possession and it hurt our overall game.

How many times did he receive the ball in the final third?
Come on, if we play 5-2-3 it is absolutely impossible that we could expect THREE players to just wait to "get opportunities in final third". It should be very plan and obvious.
This front 3 has to participate in creating opportunities as well. They have to make these opportunities happen.
But Son absolutely did not make them happen.

He is lovely, brilliant, world-class player.
But despite that, yesterday he had massive stinker.

I have no doubts though that he will be back to his best soon.

How good is Reece James though? At both ends of the pitch. I know Trent AA has a wand of a right-foot, but I'd take James over him all day, every day. I think some people forget sometimes that James himself is only 22 because of how he looks and his build.

Back
Top Bottom