How will spurs do when the season returns?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With our squad depth and luck with injuries one of us will be on the bench by week 3 if that's true !

The whole thing favours those teams with a mega bucks B-team.... Whilst somehow at the other end of the table; weak squads are still meant to be able to compete and save themselves from relegation... It's a joke.

What's the reason for playing so awfully , even when we were only missing like 1 player (that wasn't Kane or Son) we've been awful. I just don't get it..

We're too easily 'got at' through the middle or just over the top (see DM).... The platform to play OUR way which we previously enjoyed thanks to dominating the midfield just isn't there anymore and we've been forced to become a high scoring counter-attacking team instead. Insert Sonny & Kane injuries and you're left pretty fucked.

The only way C19 could be bad for us is if they cancelled the season and left the standings as they are. Any other outcome is a blessing for us. Our squad was fucked, management was struggling to make what we had work and moral was low.
3 months off and everyone is fit again and hopefully the management have had time to work on tactics and game plans..
If we still fuck up top 4, so be it. But at least we can say we had a full clip and a fighting chance.

We were playing the same way with them, hate to break it to you but we were. On top of which Kane and Son can't fix our senior CB lack of pace and our fullbacks lack of judgement. Adds funny face emoji...nah not doing that....
Respectfully disagree mate, we were nowhere near as bad as we were just before covid came knocking.

our defence was shit obviously but we were scoring goals and winning games. Before son got injured we were on a run of 4-5 wins I think?

Then he crocked it right before the Chelsea game when our dire form picked up again.

I'm only interested in our games, and I'm not happy that I can't watch our home games at the stadium. Selfish I know, but to me, football is a spectator sport, and if there's no spectators, then suspend the season until it's safe for them to attend.

Or until the title can’t be awarded to the Dippers!

Keen to see how kane plays with real pace either side of him in bergwijn & Son. He always plays that role well for England.

didn’t he get like 3 assists in one game earlier in the season with sterling and sancho/rashford either side of him?

Add in the creativity of Lo Celso & Ndombele and I really am quite hopeful that we can at least play some good stuff going forward.

Don’t forget Sissoko at RB bombing fwd and drilling crosses in to the box after all this practice

Happy days to come

:mourthumb:

Apparently he has a hip injury.
Lamela had a lengthy hip injury didn't he? Foyth too possibly. Gazza looks a bit girly-hipped as well.

My diagnosis: weak Argentinian genes

giphy.gif

With the season seemingly poised to resume, how do we all think we will do in our remaining fixtures?

Was this the “pre season” Jose was pining ?

Can we expect anything at all as far as making a late charge for the CL places or are we just too frail in midfield/defence?

I personally don’t expect much but I tell you what, I’m much more hopeful going in to the game against UTD with a full 4 weeks of training & tactical work behind us, with hopefully a fully fit squad.

How does our run in compare to others going for top6?

Also I am of the opinion that the league should not be returning at this point, but I’d like to keep the politics out of this thread if possible, just want to talk a bit of spurs. My mrs is 9 months pregnant and doing my nut in at the moment.

what do you lot reckon?

Good luck with the birth mate!!

We’re going on a roll and José will deliver us the title next season

:mourthumb:

Not surprised at the pessimism of some here but I honestly think this break has been a good thing and we will surprise a few when/if the season kicks off again.
I'm with you on this one. I think the break doesn't just let our injured players get back to fitness but also gave everyone a mental rest. We were in dire straits and the suspension of football probably couldn't have come at a better time for us.

I honestly think we'll see an improvement when we get back. Not just because Kane and Son will be (touch wood) fully fit but this is also the first time José will have them both available without trying to get Eriksen to do anything useful. Lo Celso all the way now.
There's also the wild card chance that Ndombele and Mourinho have actually gotten their shit sorted over the last two months. Alasdair Gold seems to be positive on that one and time will tell.

What's the reason for playing so awfully , even when we were only missing like 1 player (that wasn't Kane or Son) we've been awful. I just don't get it..
I think the simple answer is that the squad hit the figurative wall after the final. Poch himself has talked recently about still not being fully over it.

From day 1 of the season the squad needed an overhaul. The players were tired of Poch's approach to training, tactics etc so we've done that part (even Poch said that it was the right thing to do for all parties, since he also looked like he needed a long vacation). But we still need to overhaul the squad. Some players will need to be moved on to make room for new blood and new ideas.

In short, we've just entered rebuild mode.

All depends on whether he can get us defending better, and therefore more solid / harder to beat.

With Kane and Son back, and Alli, Bergwijn and Lucas all scoring threats we will always be fine going forward.

Back
Top Bottom