Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Worried that we will struggle to win a title or champions league with him. His kicking has always been terrible, but I'm worried everytime the ball is near him now.
He still pulls off worldie saves, but not sure that's enough.
All further complicated by his role at the club as Poch's man in the dressing room. I'd take the captaincy off him next season, but give him the season and see if he can up his game

Hugo's a top keeper ... his strength is his ability to play as an 'extra' defender ... we play a very high line that occasionally means Hugo needs to come charging out of his box, certainly more than most EPL keepers ... it's something he does very well ...

Look at the 'mistake' again ... Hugo was out like a rocket, he got their first, but only just, he had to take a swing at the ball ... yup he kicked it against Diouf but by the time he kicks the ball Diouf is just a few inches away, the ricochet (of Diouf's hands and face, but no way handball) fell to just about the only spot where Diouf could score ... unlucky for Hugo very lucky for Diouf ... it happens ....

Mistake? yes ... huge massive drop the keeper blunder? not a chance ....

Hugo is a great asset, don't get carried away by a mistake that, like last week, cost us one GD and nothing else ....
Very true. Goals like yesterday are, sometimes, the price you simply have to pay to play the way we do. It greatly limits the opposition’s ability for a swift counter with a ball over the top, mostly, and allows our defenders to play on the front foot - constantly ready to pounce and transition rapidly from defence to attack from a position of strength.

So, yes, occasionally it looks shit - he can’t be perfect at it all the time. But how much does this style contribute to our consistently top of the league, or very nearly so, defence? How much does it contribute to our goals, defenders playing on the front foot not very concerned about the space behind them? I’d say a lot, though that’s one for the philosophical football debates. Seems like Poch believes the same, as there’s not even the slightest of hints that he’s keen to change anything - regardless of a meaningless Stoke goal.

He’s the goalkeeper! He should be responsible for 20% of goals!!! Good god

Lloris is superb and I know each and every one of you would shit the bed a little if Vorm started a big game, admit it, even though Vorm has got better, Lloris carries an instant assurance in our minds

Kane can go August without scoring with no abuse, our captain and many time hero Lloris makes a couple of mistakes and is lambasted, that’s support for you

Last edited:
When an outfielder players makes a mistake, the opposition usually don't score. In our case, it's often because Hugo bails them out.

When a keeper makes a mistake, often it ends as a goal.

Nature of the role. In my opinion, Lloris is second only to De Gea in the prem, and its hard to see how we could sign anyone better: there's probably only 10 candidates in world football and none of them would be a realistic signing.

As a former keeper myself *ahem, puts on smoking jacket and picks up pipe* an important attribute (apart from the obvious) for 'keepers is concentration.
The less busy a 'keeper is the more important this becomes. As Hugo has been with us since 2012 and is now playing in a very, very good team with an excellent defence, I wonder if this could explain his odd blunder.
I remember reading Gordon Banks' autobiography where he said that in one England match, at Wembley, he was so bored through not having anything to do that he lost concentration, and he could actually smell someones bacon sandwich in the crowd.
Mind you he also recounted the story of Jimmy G taking a penalty against him when his back was turned and the ref allowed it.

He’s the goalkeeper! He should be responsible for 20% of goals!!! Good god

Lloris is superb and I know each and every one of you would shit the bed a little if Vorm started a big game, admit it, even though Vorm has got better, Lloris carries an instant assurance in our minds

Kane can go August without scoring with no abuse, our captain and many time hero Lloris makes a couple of mistakes and is lambasted, that’s support for you

This! And, quite aside from the fact he is probably the 3rd or 4th best 'keeper in the league (behind De Gea, Ederson and maybe Courtois, since you ask) he was by far our best player in the tail end of AVB days. Some people have short memories.

As a former keeper myself *ahem, puts on smoking jacket and picks up pipe* an important attribute (apart from the obvious) for 'keepers is concentration.
The less busy a 'keeper is the more important this becomes. As Hugo has been with us since 2012 and is now playing in a very, very good team with an excellent defence, I wonder if this could explain his odd blunder.
I remember reading Gordon Banks' autobiography where he said that in one England match, at Wembley, he was so bored through not having anything to do that he lost concentration, and he could actually smell someones bacon sandwich in the crowd.
Mind you he also recounted the story of Jimmy G taking a penalty against him when his back was turned and the ref allowed it.

The goals conceded at the near post is more concentration than anything else, the goals conceded rushing out are a totally different problem, Saturday's was especially poor as for some reason he booted the ball with the outside of his boot. He is quick off his line, but he has made quite a few howlers this way.

However, the big problem I have with Hugo is when he elects to punch the ball it never gets much further than the edge of the penalty area, and this will cost goals.

A great shot stopper, possibly the best in the league, who just needs a bit of mental tuning to stop any problems from creeping into his game.

When an outfielder players makes a mistake, the opposition usually don't score. In our case, it's often because Hugo bails them out.

When a keeper makes a mistake, often it ends as a goal.

Nature of the role. In my opinion, Lloris is second only to De Gea in the prem, and its hard to see how we could sign anyone better: there's probably only 10 candidates in world football and none of them would be a realistic signing.
Allison is gettable. Only one I can think of.

Hugo's a top keeper ... his strength is his ability to play as an 'extra' defender ... we play a very high line that occasionally means Hugo needs to come charging out of his box, certainly more than most EPL keepers ... it's something he does very well ...

Look at the 'mistake' again ... Hugo was out like a rocket, he got there first, but only just, he had to take a swing at the ball ... yup he kicked it against Diouf but by the time he kicks the ball Diouf is just a few inches away, the ricochet (of Diouf's hands and face, but no way handball) fell to just about the only spot where Diouf could score ... unlucky for Hugo very lucky for Diouf ... it happens ....

Mistake? yes ... huge massive drop the keeper blunder? not a chance ....

Hugo is a great asset, don't get carried away by a mistake that, like last week, cost us one GD and nothing else ....
bang on.

If opta produced a 'chances prevented' stat then hugo would be miles ahead of anyone else.

The goals conceded at the near post is more concentration than anything else, the goals conceded rushing out are a totally different problem, Saturday's was especially poor as for some reason he booted the ball with the outside of his boot. He is quick off his line, but he has made quite a few howlers this way.

However, the big problem I have with Hugo is when he elects to punch the ball it never gets much further than the edge of the penalty area, and this will cost goals.

A great shot stopper, possibly the best in the league, who just needs a bit of mental tuning to stop any problems from creeping into his game.
Agree totally, I was with Brentford youth for a (very) brief time.
I could say that injury done for me blah blah blah, which is true, but the really, really, REAL TRUTH is I wasn't good enough.
Shot stopping, reflexes, positioning all excellent but,
Handling and dealing with crosses was ABYSMAL.

For our younger readers, this was back in the day when, and don't ask me why, but they had this weird notion that an essential attribute for a keeper was to CATCH THE FUCKING THING !!

Lloris came to, and stuck by us when we were awful, he could have easily jumped ship several times but to his credit he has stuck by us and I feel this commitment has led the way. He seems to be a great character and someone who is good to have about. He has at times had issues with his game, most notably his control and distribution but this has clearly been worked on as I can't remember the last time I covered my eyes when watching him receive the ball... but he does still makes mistakes and a few bad decisions and it's this that separates the good from exceptional. Do I think there are better keepers? Yes, do I think we could get one? No

I could say that injury done for me blah blah blah, which is true, but the really, really, REAL TRUTH is I wasn't good enough.

For our younger readers, this was back in the day when, and don't ask me why, but they had this weird notion that an essential attribute for a keeper was to CATCH THE FUCKING THING !!

There's a fantastic video on Youtube of the guy I rate the greatest ever, Rinat Dasayev. The guy would happily come out to the edge of his box and take everyone in his path. But those days are gone and the modern balls are a bit mental. I went back in nets a few years ago when the Jabulani ball was all the rage and couldn't believe the way that thing moved, it was like those "Shoot" footballs you had as a wean.

I think crossing is either something you have the ability to deal with or not, you can't suddenly pick up the flight of a cross. What Hugo needs to work on is attacking the ball more positively, both against Chelsea and Stoke he wasn't at the apex of his jump when he went for the ball. One gave away a goal, one landed back in his hands at the 6 yard box.

As for coming out, that's simple. For some reason Hugo always attempts to keep the ball in play and clear straight up the pitch. He has to realise sometimes you simply put it into the stands.

These aren't major things just yet, but he needs them ironed out before teams target them.

Makes me laugh when people slate an excellent player who’s been our captain and stuck by us.

No doubt the same people who would expect loyalty from our best players when teams with fatter wallets and a greater chance of success come knocking

Yep, why don't keepers catch it any more Steve?? It's got to be easier/better than punching??

My Dad played for Brentford youth - and captained London Boys - but that was way back, in the 1950s. He remains fond of telling me of the difference between those that are footballing superstars and those that never made it. Depending on his mood, and the story he is telling, this is either vast, or minimal....

Yep, why don't keepers catch it any more Steve?? It's got to be easier/better than punching??

My Dad played for Brentford youth - and captained London Boys - but that was way back, in the 1950s. He remains fond of telling me of the difference between those that are footballing superstars and those that never made it. Depending on his mood, and the story he is telling, this is either vast, or minimal....

Keepers don't catch it as much for two reasons

1) the balls are lighter and prone to move a lot more. Christian's goal against the chavs shows the way a ball can drop out of the sky. The good old days of playing with true flying balls like the Adidas Tango and the Mitre Multiplex etc are gone. It helps the flow of the game, but someone has to suffer and that someone is goalkeepers.

2) players nowadays drive in flatter quicker crosses, no more hanging balls up at the back post, it's balls that apex at around 9 or 10 feet off the ground and can be met at the front post or the back post. It means a keeper has to be 100% sure on the flight and aware of who is around him.

Punching eliminates any chance of fumbling, allows a keeper to stretch out further and used properly is extremely effective. Remember Sieb Dijkstra the ex QPR goalie who tried to catch everything? How many goals he conceded in his career by trying to catch everything and making a bollocks of it.

Back
Top Bottom