Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I remain convinced that we have a top 4 or 5 squad.
I don't honestly know if we can demand a top-4 finish with this squad anymore. I say that because we have been playing so badly for so long that it has become difficult to tell the true level of a lot of our players. A better coach/manager that knows how to manage modern humans would get us playing a more attractive brand of football, no doubt, but what level of improvement would it be reasonable to expect with these same players?

Maybe, but that's easier said than done.

I remain convinced that we have a top 4 or 5 squad.
We have a better squad than Leicester, Spam and Everton. Probably on a par with Utd.
Couldn't agree more. The most annoying part of Mourinho's shittery is the fact that a fuck load of the general football public, and seemingly a big part of our own fans, now seem to think that the players we have are total shit.

This is just plainly not true, we have plenty of good players and some fucking excellent players. Easily enough to get top 4, but they're made to look like shit by playing under a guy who gives them no confidence, no license to play, no ideas on how to progress up the pitch and makes them play in their own half. Any team in the world would look like shit with these instructions.

You have absolutely no idea who I am, what I've done and what I'm capable of and yet despite this, you choose to tell me that what I'm saying on the subject is that I have absolutely no idea. You are free to disagree with me on what merits a captain or not, that just fine but stop with the personal stuff which has you talking out of your arse.

It is 100% the manager's responsibility for the morale, the mental state, the tactics, the motivation, the vision, the communication and the buy-in of this, it's his fucking job!! A good manager secures the buy-in of multiple players, hopefully, the majority of the squad.

HE IS BRINGING THOSE PLAYERS INTO LINE!!!! That's what he was fucking doing in that interview! He did it with far more dignity, far more passionately and far more meaningfully than the manager has been articulating in the past 18 months.

THIS IS LEADERSHIP.

I'm glad not all the players are on board because it means the dino should get the sack and we can move on from this Mourinho phase. But I'm struggling to recall a better piece of captaincy than this since Perryman, Roberts (who I personally know to very limited) & Mabbutt were playing.
I don't need to know nor do I care who you are or what you have done. You were the one that brought your personal resume into the discussion to add credibility to your opinion. But the reality is that it doesn't change the fact that your opinion is nonsense. I don't need to know you personally to judge how good or bad your cooking is cos I have tasted good cooking as well as having seen good leadership and captaincy.

Good leadership is not about exposing the flaws in your team to the public (which is what lloris let happen on the pitch and reinforced with his interview) but making sure that such problems are nipped in the bud. A great leader doesn't let his team degenerate to the extent of sacrificing the whole for individual interests. It is of little or no value if Lloris believes in playing for the badge but can't rally his teammates around the same ideology.

His interview is not bringing any one into line. It is like giving medicine after death - the game was already lost. If he could bring them in line, he should have done so before it cost us a chance to progress in the EL.

You talk about getting buy-in, but Lloris basically stated that the rest of the team was sabotaged by a handful who were no longer getting starting roles. So how do you conclude that Mourinho doesn't have the support of majority of the players?

But your agenda to blame Mourinho for everything including the players attitude is why we have the issues we have. If everything is on the manager why bother to have all the team captains? What did Lloris do to protect the interest of the club?

There have been great captaincies and this was not it.

Theres players at every club that get frozen out a little. Its how they react is the problem. Our soft pathetic mentally weak players buckle and whinge

Almost all managers freeze players out. Even Poch froze some players out for some reason or another.
There are ways of doing it without being a cunt.

Yes, every team has players frozen out, but does every manager lose the dressing room?

No. But Mourinho loses the dressing room in every team he’s been with other than Inter where he left just at the right time.

Replacing his voice? Have you seen the doc? Didn't exactly seem to inspire the team with his pre-match talks I don't think
Well personally, I found Lloris’ leadership methods to be slightly better than Kane’s “let’s go out and facking smash em” approach.

No denying that I think Hugo’s time here is done however. Unfortunately, because he has been a magnificent servant, he’s become synonymous with this teams perpetual failure and embarrassment.

Couldn't agree more. The most annoying part of Mourinho's shittery is the fact that a fuck load of the general football public, and seemingly a big part of our own fans, now seem to think that the players we have are total shit.

This is just plainly not true, we have plenty of good players and some fucking excellent players. Easily enough to get top 4, but they're made to look like shit by playing under a guy who gives them no confidence, no license to play, no ideas on how to progress up the pitch and makes them play in their own half. Any team in the world would look like shit with these instructions.
Stop fucking dreaming top 4 squad.
We have a core of 5 or 6 really good players 5 or 6 decent and the rest are bottom half premier league players.
In every away European game this season Kane and Son have had to come on or start to save our skin

Feels good to hear somebody finally on the inside finally come out and say what many of us have said after the numerous awful displays this season.

Fair play to Hugo.

I don't need to know nor do I care who you are or what you have done. You were the one that brought your personal resume into the discussion to add credibility to your opinion. But the reality is that it doesn't change the fact that your opinion is nonsense. I don't need to know you personally to judge how good or bad your cooking is cos I have tasted good cooking as well as having seen good leadership and captaincy.

Good leadership is not about exposing the flaws in your team to the public (which is what lloris let happen on the pitch and reinforced with his interview) but making sure that such problems are nipped in the bud. A great leader doesn't let his team degenerate to the extent of sacrificing the whole for individual interests. It is of little or no value if Lloris believes in playing for the badge but can't rally his teammates around the same ideology.

His interview is not bringing any one into line. It is like giving medicine after death - the game was already lost. If he could bring them in line, he should have done so before it cost us a chance to progress in the EL.

You talk about getting buy-in, but Lloris basically stated that the rest of the team was sabotaged by a handful who were no longer getting starting roles. So how do you conclude that Mourinho doesn't have the support of majority of the players?

But your agenda to blame Mourinho for everything including the players attitude is why we have the issues we have. If everything is on the manager why bother to have all the team captains? What did Lloris do to protect the interest of the club?

There have been great captaincies and this was not it.
I brought up my background as a Captain because YOU didn't challenge the opinion but the actual person that held that opinion!!! That's why it's relevant. If you want to debate the merits of opinion then just keep it to that, rather than targeting the individual who holds them. If you can't see this they that's simply your loss. Call out the individual poster again and you will get the same response. But notice I haven't responded making personal about you! (As I say you know fuck-all about me, as I do you, so why call out the individual? Simply detracts from your point a makes you look a tit).

Do you think the World noticed our flaws following that performance? Do you think that if Lloris keeps it behind closed doors no one noticed?!!! Do me a favour!

You have no idea what has been going on behind the scenes, you have no idea what Lloris dose at the training ground, how he behaves, what he says.

What cost us a chance (and why we are so utterly shit elsewhere) is a direct result as poor management. This team is fractured, it's broken, it's not behind it's manager, they are well and truly not playing for him, he's lost the dressing room, that's been confirmed by Lloris now. Can you not see this?

Everything comes from the manager, he and a handful of players (not enough) have brought into what Jose wants, he is still living and breathing it, that was crystal clear in his interview, the Captain is backing his manager when I can guess the majority haven't. This is what you want from your Captain, along with articulate, compassionate, passionate communication.

It's Jose that has lost the team, it's Jose that can't get the team on board, it's Jose that has adopted as style of confrontation (this is literally his style, he's done it all his career) apart from his woeful football it was also why I wanted him nowhere near this football Club. Everything he does is calculated, ostracising a player is done for a specific reason, to get a reaction. He may well have got his players to react a certain way 20yrs ago but it's crystal clear that his methods are totally inadequate for today's game as has been demonstrated in his last two Clubs.

If there is one man on the team you want to be on board with what the manager wants then that is your captain.

Here is a good listen about Captains, what their role is, what is a good one, their responsibilities. It also highlights the ridiculous notions of why the English are obsessed with the role of Captain: ‎Set Piece Menu Football Podcast: SPM 163: Captaincy on Apple Podcasts

Last edited:
He's the Captain mate, not the manager.

What we've just heard is one of the most powerful post-match interviews that I think I've ever heard. He was articulate and chose his words well. He also showed one thing about his character and why he's captain, and that he is on board with his manager (you all know that I think the manager is a washed-up old fart). This is a true professional speaking, we suspect that Kane is also onboard given what has been said about his relationship with Mourinho. He believes in Jose just as he believed in Poch. Lloris has carried out almost to the letter what Mourinho has asked of him, even down to fighting with his own players (Son) over lack of work rate etc....

The issue within the team is built and fostered by the manager. This manger is responsible for how he wants his players to behave, if he can only manage this from 11 players then he's fucked, Spurs are fucked, he should then be fired and replaced with a manager that can get the buy-in of more than just 11 players.

This interview demonstrates why Lloris is Captain and why I love this man.

The issue within the team is built and fostered by the manager. This manger is responsible for how he wants his players to behave, if he can only manage this from 11 players then he's fucked, Spurs are fucked, he should then be fired and replaced with a manager that can get the buy-in of more than just 11 players.

Our starting XI the other night: Lloris, Aurier, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela, Dele, Lucas, Kane...... how many signed by the manager you want sacked mate? Mourinho has had one non pandemic window, this lot constantly threw Poch under the bus, the issue isn’t the manager at number one on the hit list, it’s our inability to shift the stench of flash boys who think certain games or attitudes are beneath them.

Some say it can be trained into them, others say you can’t polish a turd. The truth is probably somewhere in between both of these views I would say but a manager can only do so much and this lot I challenge anyone to find a gaffer who could change their spoilt and selfish attitudes.

If you freeze out players that’s bound to happen.

The players frozen out simply aren’t good enough. You play them and you’ll lose more than you win... the issue is why these players, some of them who have been at the club for 5+ years now are still being kept within our ranks? Our chairman hates making a loss, won’t cut his losses and that’s the crux of where damp turns to rot.

Our starting XI the other night: Lloris, Aurier, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Sissoko, Winks, Lamela, Dele, Lucas, Kane...... how many signed by the manager you want sacked mate? Mourinho has had one non pandemic window, this lot constantly threw Poch under the bus, the issue isn’t the manager at number one on the hit list, it’s our inability to shift the stench of flash boys who think certain games or attitudes are beneath them.

Some say it can be trained into them, others say you can’t polish a turd. The truth is probably somewhere in between both of these views I would say but a manager can only do so much and this lot I challenge anyone to find a gaffer who could change their spoilt and selfish attitudes.
I don't want any of our players sacked. I want the manager sacked.

Something is clearly wrong at the club. Having said that apart from MC there really is not much difference between the remaining teams in the top half of the league that small changes could not fix.
I have not played for a football team at any level but have often thought how hard it must be for those not in the team. However that is the same everywhere and why so bad here.
Having walked in on the wife watching the Caroline Flack doc the other night and watching some of it I also wonder how the players that get so much abuse on social media cope. Winks takes a lot of abuse and it must get to him. How can he go out and confidently play forward passes in the knowledge that any misplaced pass will be criticised and it is easier to just hide and be anonymous. If anything the lack of fans might make it worse because even though fans at the ground do pick on problem players they largely support the players urging them on especially in derbies and in away matches.
I cannot see anyone from the outside can really understand the problems but for me the season is over now. We might have a final to play but I have zero confidence that will go well and even if it did the initial euphoria will quickly dissipate with the overall acceptance that unless a miracle occurs and we start winning match after match that we are going to end up outside the CL places and our FA Cup and Europa Cup runs were stopped earlier than they should have.
Roll on next season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom