Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's the Captain mate, not the manager.

What we've just heard is one of the most powerful post-match interviews that I think I've ever heard. He was articulate and chose his words well. He also showed one thing about his character and why he's captain, and that he is on board with his manager (you all know that I think the manager is a washed-up old fart). This is a true professional speaking, we suspect that Kane is also onboard given what has been said about his relationship with Mourinho. He believes in Jose just as he believed in Poch. Lloris has carried out almost to the letter what Mourinho has asked of him, even down to fighting with his own players (Son) over lack of work rate etc....

The issue within the team is built and fostered by the manager. This manger is responsible for how he wants his players to behave, if he can only manage this from 11 players then he's fucked, Spurs are fucked, he should then be fired and replaced with a manager that can get the buy-in of more than just 11 players.

This interview demonstrates why Lloris is Captain and why I love this man.
Then you have no idea what the role of a captain should be

The captain is the leader of the players. While the manager is there to ensure that the players play as a team (tactics, formations, etc), it is the primarily the role of the captain that the players act as a team and follow his lead. If certain players are sabotaging the efforts of the rest of the team, it is job to ensure they close ranks and act as a team and not for their own interests.

What lloris is saying is an indictment of his own leadership. These are things that should have been addressed in the locker room, made known to the manager and/or management if needed but not in the media.

If he wasn't aware of such breaks in the rank until they got on the pitch would be even worse.

It really should. We are more or less back to where we were when Poch took over. When the Kaboul and Capoue led kliq stopped performing whenever they weren't featured. A lazy, rotten core that care more about their private lifestyles than the club. There were similar comments made by Trippier when he got sold so the problem predates Jose, but his management style has probably brought it more to the forefront.

Jose deserves blame, as do the players and Levy. It's a complex problem that has been allowed to fester for too long for various reasons. This is no longer just about sacking Jose, we also need to clear out the rotten core. Or else the new manager will suffer from the same problems.

Jose is at fault for having a rough man management style that doesn't suit easily bruised egos.

The players Hugo are calling out are at fault for being divas that care more for themselves than the club and refusing to adapt.

Levy is at fault for allowing the situation to simmer for as long as it has.

Get rid of Jose, get rid of the players, and get a DOF in to act as a buffer between Levy and the football side. It's not going to solve it over night but it would allow us to start rebuilding.

Its unfortunately looking like a long painful couple years at least ahead of us

Then you have no idea what the role of a captain should be

The captain is the leader of the players. While the manager is there to ensure that the players play as a team (tactics, formations, etc), it is the primarily the role of the captain that the players act as a team and follow his lead. If certain players are sabotaging the efforts of the rest of the team, it is job to ensure they close ranks and act as a team and not for their own interests.

What lloris is saying is an indictment of his own leadership. These are things that should have been addressed in the locker room, made known to the manager and/or management if needed but not in the media.

If he wasn't aware of such breaks in the rank until they got on the pitch would be even worse.
I've been a captain of a football team for over 40 years mate!!

What you have just witnessed is a Captain standing up for his manager!!

Regardless of who the manager is and whether they are shit or doing a good job or not the team have to take direction from the manager, they have to be behind the manager. Everything comes from the manager, from how we play, how we train, how to behave, everything. He has just unequivocally backed his manager, stood with him and called out those who aren't with him.

THIS is one of the best examples of Club captaincy you can call on. Our Captain is fighting for his manager.

I've been a captain of a football team for over 40 years mate!!

What you have just witnessed is a Captain standing up for his manager!!

Regardless of who the manager is and whether they are shit or doing a good job or not the team have to take direction from the manager, they have to be behind the manager. Everything comes from the manager, from how we play, how we train, how to behave, everything. He has just unequivocally backed his manager, stood with him and called out those who aren't with him.

THIS is one of the best examples of Club captaincy you can call on. Our Captain is fighting for his manager.
Painting for 40yrs wouldn't make you picasso, so the idea that doing something for a long period automatically makes you an expert is simply nonsense.

This is not about lloris standing up his manager, cos it is not his job to be a PR rep for Mourinho. But that there are fractures in the squad that has spilled on to the pitch. A good captain will not let things get that far.

This is not about tactics or training. Lloris basically said some players refused to put in the effort simply cos they are no longer regular starters.

If you have players that are willing to sabotage the effort of the team simply cos they are no longer regular starters, then those players need to brought in line by the captain or binned. It's bad enough for a player to have issues with a manager cos he is not starting, it is totally unacceptable for said player to sabotage the team for it.

"To behave as a team is the most difficult thing in football, whatever is the decision of the manager you have to follow the way of the team. If you follow the team only when you are in the starting XI that causes big problems for the team because you pay on one moment, and you're going to pay in your season, and today is the consequence of that.

"We had a great moment in the past because we could trust the togetherness that was in the team. Today, I don't know, I'm not sure about that."

Confirmed Dier, Winks, Sissoko, etc are doing what we all feared
"We had a great moment in the past because we could trust the togetherness that was in the team. Today, I don't know, I'm not sure about that."

This is the main thig that stuck out for me.
Proof that the squad is a divided, unhappy one.
At the end of Poch's era, not matter how bad we were the squad was together, tight and in harmony.
This hints at serious splits in the squad, in attitude, application, performance and happiness.

That's on Jose.

He’d be a bigger loss off the field, than on it, in my humble opinion.

Replacing his voice in the dressing room will likely be a harder task than finding a keeper of similar quality.
Replacing his voice? Have you seen the doc? Didn't exactly seem to inspire the team with his pre-match talks I don't think

Painting for 40yrs wouldn't make you picasso, so the idea that doing something for a long period automatically makes you an expert is simply nonsense.

This is not about lloris standing up his manager, cos it is not his job to be a PR rep for Mourinho. But that there are fractures in the squad that has spilled on to the pitch. A good captain will not let things get that far.

This is not about tactics or training. Lloris basically said some players refused to put in the effort simply cos they are no longer regular starters.

If you have players that are willing to sabotage the effort of the team simply cos they are no longer regular starters, then those players need to brought in line by the captain or binned. It's bad enough for a player to have issues with a manager cos he is not starting, it is totally unacceptable for said player to sabotage the team for it.
Erm...fuck off and take the toxic cunt with you.

At the end of Poch's era, not matter how bad we were the squad was together, tight and in harmony.
This hints at serious splits in the squad, in attitude, application, performance and happiness.

That's on Jose.
If you freeze out players that’s bound to happen.

That's on Jose.
It is. But are the players not culpable here too or as usual with modern society is it all someone elses fault? 🤷‍♂️

You have absolutely no idea who I am, what I've done and what I'm capable of and yet despite this, you choose to tell me that what I'm saying on the subject is that I have absolutely no idea. You are free to disagree with me on what merits a captain or not, that just fine but stop with the personal stuff which has you talking out of your arse.

It is 100% the manager's responsibility for the morale, the mental state, the tactics, the motivation, the vision, the communication and the buy-in of this, it's his fucking job!! A good manager secures the buy-in of multiple players, hopefully, the majority of the squad.

HE IS BRINGING THOSE PLAYERS INTO LINE!!!! That's what he was fucking doing in that interview! He did it with far more dignity, far more passionately and far more meaningfully than the manager has been articulating in the past 18 months.

THIS IS LEADERSHIP.

I'm glad not all the players are on board because it means the dino should get the sack and we can move on from this Mourinho phase. But I'm struggling to recall a better piece of captaincy than this since Perryman, Roberts (who I personally know to very limited) & Mabbutt were playing.

That's on Jose.
The squad were not together during the last 6 months of Poch.
Some of the performances during the last dozen or so games show that some of the squad had downed tools (Colchester Brighton and other games show this)

The squad were not together during the last 6 months of Poch.
Some of the performances during the last dozen or so games show that some of the squad had downed tools (Colchester Brighton and other games show this)
Yes, we were poor. Yes, players under performed. Yes, some of our results were shocking.

But at no point under Poch's reign did anyone come out and say something as damning as this.

That's on Jose.
A lot of the players need to be shipped out, including Hugo.

Every week I see people saying 'Lloris shouldn't be captain' or give it to Kane/Hojbjerg

Where has Kane gone. Haven't seen him come out and say anything for ages well unless we're winning stuff.

Hugo showed why he is a true captain. No generic bs respones he just told us what we needed to hear and the way he pointed to the badge at the end , fantastic interview.

When we bought Hugo he was one of the best prospects in the world , still a great goalie and its sad that in 9yrs he has won nothing here. Some of the players at this club aren't good enough and Hugo's interview I think acknowledges that.

That was a captain's interview..

Every week I see people saying 'Lloris shouldn't be captain' or give it to Kane/Hojbjerg

Where has Kane gone. Haven't seen him come out and say anything for ages well unless we're winning stuff.

Hugo showed why he is a true captain. No generic bs respones he just told us what we needed to hear and the way he pointed to the badge at the end , fantastic interview.

When we bought Hugo he was one of the best prospects in the world , still a great goalie and its sad that in 9yrs he has won nothing here. Some of the players at this club aren't good enough and Hugo's interview I think acknowledges that.

That was a captain's interview..

It was a Captain's interview or an interview of someone who truly cared.

I think Lloris in the middle of the pitch would have served us better than in goal but for me, that interview, painful though it was to watch, will go down in the annals as being as good as any save he has ever made.

The shame is that he had to make it.

Back
Top Bottom