Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's a fantastic video on Youtube of the guy I rate the greatest ever, Rinat Dasayev. The guy would happily come out to the edge of his box and take everyone in his path. But those days are gone and the modern balls are a bit mental. I went back in nets a few years ago when the Jabulani ball was all the rage and couldn't believe the way that thing moved, it was like those "Shoot" footballs you had as a wean.

I think crossing is either something you have the ability to deal with or not, you can't suddenly pick up the flight of a cross. What Hugo needs to work on is attacking the ball more positively, both against Chelsea and Stoke he wasn't at the apex of his jump when he went for the ball. One gave away a goal, one landed back in his hands at the 6 yard box.

As for coming out, that's simple. For some reason Hugo always attempts to keep the ball in play and clear straight up the pitch. He has to realise sometimes you simply put it into the stands.

These aren't major things just yet, but he needs them ironed out before teams target them.
Again I agree, but I wonder if the recent issues (I say recent as previously I thought he was the best "sweeper keeper" around) is due to concentration as if you switch off when the ball is up the other end, then you will be that split second late starting off. Hence you will be a bit late getting to the ball.

Also for what it's worth I think Hugo is the second best keeper in the league, and as such is extremely difficult to replace. There are top keepers around but would we get them ? I think not. So that leaves us with risking a young and up and coming keeper, which is always a gamble.
If you look at how many keepers Man Ure went through after Schmiechel to get a good 'un it is always risky.

Yep, why don't keepers catch it any more Steve?? It's got to be easier/better than punching??

My Dad played for Brentford youth - and captained London Boys - but that was way back, in the 1950s. He remains fond of telling me of the difference between those that are footballing superstars and those that never made it. Depending on his mood, and the story he is telling, this is either vast, or minimal....
I think a lot of it is down to the new balls and the way they move around so much in the air, also I think it is in part due to the influx in foreign keepers/coaches as they never seemed to catch the thing. Also punching is low risk, as even if you only get a slight touch on the ball, it will deflect it away from the attackers.
Whilst all this is understandable, it still annoys me when a keeper palms the ball away from a shot that they could of caught, i.e. a shot from outside the box, nobody near the keeper, and quite close to the keepers body. They could have the time to palm the ball down and gather it, but don't and instead fly through the air needlessly to push it away.

Again I agree, but I wonder if the recent issues (I say recent as previously I thought he was the best "sweeper keeper" around) is due to concentration as if you switch off when the ball is up the other end, then you will be that split second late starting off. Hence you will be a bit late getting to the ball.

Also for what it's worth I think Hugo is the second best keeper in the league, and as such is extremely difficult to replace. There are top keepers around but would we get them ? I think not. So that leaves us with risking a young and up and coming keeper, which is always a gamble.
If you look at how many keepers Man Ure went through after Schmiechel to get a good 'un it is always risky.
Very true.

However I feel there are two possibilities.

Jesper Cillessen and Jann Sommer.

Surely we can offer a better and more attractive platform than they currently have.

Very true.

Surely we can offer a better and more attractive platform than they currently have.
Bernt Leno is a name I would be interested in should Hugo one day leave

Very true.

Quite possibly, but to tell the truth I don't know enough about other keepers or players in general as I only really watch Spurs these days.
Do you have a link to these ?

Stop throwing the names around! Hugo fooking Lloris is our nr 1 keeper. Hugo fooking Lloris is our captain. Hugo fooking Lloris has sticked with us for a long time already. Hugo fooking Lloris will lead this team to our new stadium and we should really back him and support him!

Was I dissapointed when Stoke equalized? Yes
Was I shouting some abusive words at home in front of screen to Lloris? Yes
Do I think Lloris and Sanchez should work on their communication, as Sanchez was also involved in the Chelsea goal? Yes, absolutely!

Do I think we should go to market for a new keeper or even throw shit at Lloris - ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? No. Of course not. Sure, my initial reaction was "Fook me sideways, Hugo, how did you fu*k this one up so bad???", but that is football and you have to understand the difference between initial emotional reaction and actual state of the affairs!

I fully believe that Hugo was mad at himself after the game himself and he will work on it not to make such mistake again. He has proven his ability to develop during his time in our shirt and I expect it to continue. And I expect him to stay with us for years and years to come! Long live and prosper, Hugo
:llorishowudoin:

Quite possibly, but to tell the truth I don't know enough about other keepers or players in general as I only really watch Spurs these days.
Do you have a link to these ?
Stop throwing the names around! Hugo fooking Lloris is our nr 1 keeper. Hugo fooking Lloris is our captain. Hugo fooking Lloris has sticked with us for a long time already. Hugo fooking Lloris will lead this team to our new stadium and we should really back him and support him!

Do I think Lloris and Sanchez should work on their communication, as Sanchez was also involved in the Chelsea goal? Yes, absolutely!

Do I think we should go to market for a new keeper or even throw shit at Lloris - ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? No. Of course not. Sure, my initial reaction was "Fook me sideways, Hugo, how did you fu*k this one up so bad???", but that is football and you have to understand the difference between initial emotional reaction and actual state of the affairs!

I fully believe that Hugo was mad at himself after the game himself and he will work on it not to make such mistake again. He has proven his ability to develop during his time in our shirt and I expect it to continue. And I expect him to stay with us for years and years to come! Long live and prosper, Hugo

Is "Fooking" a typical French name?

That's some bold statements right there!
:dembelelol:

The 'keeper is, psychologically, always going to be in the top one or two most important players on the pitch due to their position and that when they make a mistake it usually leads to a goal.

Hugo's sweeper keeper style is highly effective at building attacks and increases the speed of our press, but there's a downside and that will be the odd miss when he comes to collect the football. I think it's almost inevitable with such a high-risk playing style that there will be a few mistakes. Against Stoke Hugo might have been able to side foot the ball away but risked being clattered by Diouf in the event, who I wouldn't like to run into much.

It would be difficult to get in a 'keeper that would both suit our playing style like Hugo and be as good as him. A Courtois-like 'keeper wouldn't work with our style as they're too static. The only EPL 'keeper who could do a similar or better job IMHO is Ederson who is obviously not gettable.

Appreciate the insight from ex-'keepers btw, always a position I am keen to avoid on the pitch!

The 'keeper is, psychologically, always going to be in the top one or two most important players on the pitch due to their position and that when they make a mistake it usually leads to a goal.

Hugo's sweeper keeper style is highly effective at building attacks and increases the speed of our press, but there's a downside and that will be the odd miss when he comes to collect the football. I think it's almost inevitable with such a high-risk playing style that there will be a few mistakes. Against Stoke Hugo might have been able to side foot the ball away but risked being clattered by Diouf in the event, who I wouldn't like to run into much.

It would be difficult to get in a 'keeper that would both suit our playing style like Hugo and be as good as him. A Courtois-like 'keeper wouldn't work with our style as they're too static. The only EPL 'keeper who could do a similar or better job IMHO is Ederson who is obviously not gettable.

Appreciate the insight from ex-'keepers btw, always a position I am keen to avoid on the pitch!
Spot on with everything you said.
The days of taking man,ball and team mate out to get to the ball is gone.
With regard to Hugo, he is, at the moment irreplaceable, and hopefully has many more years with us.
I, for one, don't want him replaced.

Better the devil you know! Yes I am disappointed with his recent errors. Do I want him replaced No. We could well end up with worse. Should not even be a debate.

Couldn't agree more, and I'm certainly not looking to replace him, but am treating this debate as a bit of harmless fun, find it interesting different peoples views/opinions on 'keepers roles/difficulties/attributes.

Cup Semi Final is in the past - thought his form pre-semi final was poor and I have no problems with Vorm coming in when he's helped get us there previously. Likely would have played against Chelsea in last seasons FA Cup Semi Final too if it wasn't to do with injury.

But he was great today. Good solid handling with all his saves and his tackle on Doucoure in the first half was brilliant. Happy he finally got a cleansheet in which seems like forever since his last one.

Hugo has always had a bit of a sticky patch but always makes up for it. Trouble is when a keeper makes a mistake there's no hiding place. He was back to his best today.

Talk of Hugo Lloris’ demise at Tottenham is nonsense – he’s still a top class goalkeeper

By: David Preece
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/hugo-lloris-tottenham-hotspur-david-preece/

By the sky high standards he has previously set, it hasn’t been a truly vintage season for Tottenham captain and goalkeeper Hugo Lloris. But talk of his demise is not only premature, it’s nonsense.

True, errors in the past two seasons have appeared too frequently for his own liking but the mistakes made do not maketh a fraud. Is the Frenchman overrated, as some suggest? Not in the slightest.

What has happened this season differs only to others in the fact that some of the mistakes have noticeably affected his judgement and confidence. Something previously invisible to the eye.

Proactive keeping
Where he previously reset his focus and moved swiftly on, Lloris has occasionally looked anchored in the past this season, allowing doubts to linger, doubts that hijack his thoughts just long enough to disrupt his timing.

That was clear in last month’s 3-1 defeat to Manchester City. Vincent Kompany’s long ball over the top of the Spurs defence to Gabriel Jesus was inch perfect and Lloris was punished despite his correct decision to stay on his line.

Fast forward to the next through ball though and the doubts clearly played on his mind. As the ball was played in to Raheem Sterling, Lloris hesitated before rushing out and clattering the young winger to give away a penalty.

“Maybe I should have come [sooner] for that last one,” he admitted afterwards. Proactive goalkeeping is a feature of his game which was even more prevalent in his early days at Spurs – flying head first to head balls away or approaching the penalty spot to take the pressure off his defence. His starting position was akin to the inside of a human cannon than on the six-yard box.

Lloris has tempered that approach somewhat since. His first two seasons saw him engage with play an average of 101 times outside his area compared to just 68 this season and last. While it can be a highly effective tactic, his keenness to involve himself does leave room for things to go wrong.

This is the two sides of the coin. What can sometimes make him look bad, is also what makes him so good.

Keep the faith
Hugo Lloris wanders outside of his box a lot – but this is part of the deal, argues David Preece.

Despite the doubt occasionally hindering his decision-making process, Lloris’ overall demeanour is still that of a top class keeper.

There are accusations that he doesn’t come in for the level of criticism served to others when conceding questionable goals but, equally, his all round displays and value to Mauricio Pochettino’s side are underplayed too.

Perhaps Monday night’s home match against a Watford side wafting through the season like a plastic carrier bag in the wind isn’t the game to draw solid conclusions from but it was a performance that merits praise.

His very low-key pre-match warm-up routine belies the wrongly held belief that Lloris isn’t at the top of his game. A keeper struggling with form and confidence might have a more thorough and intensive preparation but he took a serenity into the match and his game looked almost flawless.

Cleanly struck distribution (a perceived weakness), allied with smart stops from Andre Gray and Richarlison were topped by a stunning sliding interception 30 yards from his line to cut out a pass that would have provided Watford with a clear cut 1 v 1 chance.

What made it so good is that there wasn’t a great deal of distance between the ball and its intended target. Anticipated and timed to precision, it was an interception few keepers would have been there to make and that is why, even this season, the errors have to be accepted as part of his deal.

The failed header against City last season? Good decision, bad header. The failed intervention against Chelsea? Right decision to try and affect the situation in what turned out to be an inevitable goal from Alvaro Morata. The failed clearance against Stoke City? Right decision to come, badly executed.

The volume with which he makes forays from his line, the most outside his box than any other keeper in the Premier League over the past three seasons, ups the likelihood of moments of misjudgement. But his successes and chances he has prevented are often not acknowledged.

Giving confidence to his side
It’s not just about weighing up risk and reward: sweeping up and affecting play outside the area is a necessity for the way Pochettino teams play. You could even question their classification as errors and instead consider them just part of the process.

Keepers in the grip of a crisis of confidence can unsettle the whole of the defensive unit. But any cracks that show up at Spurs never seem to widen. This could be down to their trust in Lloris, their trust in themselves or, more than likely, it’s a collective exercise in trust and they all aid each other’s recovery. There’s still that trust between the keeper and those in front of him. Look at the reaction of his teammates after losing goals: no recrimination, no blame. Disappointment, yes. As with all goals conceded but Lloris’ game will fully recover from the blips as long as he retains that calm assuredness. As for those who call for change, an upgrade on Lloris is not only unattainable for Spurs right now, it’s also unneeded. A break may have done him the world of good this summer but Russia and the World Cup calls. Whatever happens there, Hugo will still be the boss at Spurs.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/hugo-lloris-tottenham-hotspur-david-preece/

Back
Top Bottom