If they had been fully backed

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If backed, who would have been most successful

• Redknapp

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • AVB

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Pochettino

Votes: 83 65.4%
  • Mourinho

Votes: 13 10.2%

• Total voters
It's Harry by elimination, not merit really.

AVB's problem wasn't players or tactics, he couldn't get the squad onside. His downfall was alienating players, he proved that at Chelsea where he had loads of talent.

Poch got a lot of the players he wanted, and he's proven at PSG that he can't win even with some of the greatest talent in the world. If he can't do it with Mbappe and Messi, why do we think he'd have done it here with Grealish?

Mourinho "properly backed" could have brought in some high priced names, but he proved at United that he was mostly past it. He continues this endeavor today.

Harry with a blank chequebook would've won us a couple cups I'm pretty sure.
Redknapp spent at Portsmouth and won the fa cup. He had the ability as a manager. His fucking around with England job meant Levy got cold feet.

Poch for me every day of the week. Consistently there or there about for several seasons - when we needed to refresh the squad it didn’t happen for 3 transfer windows.
By the time we ended up with dead loss signings I think the energy had gone.
The fact that we have the new stadium and are back at the top table is his legacy from working within a very tight budget.
His downfall was not letting a director of football in on the show.
And to be fair, many knowledgable people thought N’bumbler was going to be the dogs bollocks so even that can’t really be held against him imo.
Still grieves me that the lazy fat cunt is still drawing a wage from us whilst pissing his career away on loan.

Most of those were done by Paul Mitchell. When he left our transfer business went to shit until Paratici came in.
This is it, you eoend tens of millions onpkayers and their failure or success dictates your clubs failure or success do it us vital to pay whatever the very best scouts ask and give them control. No point skimping on scouts, it means you waste huge sums off the back of their dodgy advice.

Poch never had anyone like that Mike Edwards guy at Liverpool. His relationship with Klopp is the secret of their success.

I think Poch was relying on scouts rather than a director with a shared vision. I really hope he learns that lesson and comes back one day.

I chose Poch but only just. If he was backed in summer 2018, those new players might have made a difference in the CL final and there were a couple more instances but can't put all the blame on that, he had chances to win trophies and he blew it.

I liked AVB's attitude he took every trophy seriously, Poch and Harry didn't. Harry could have got us a cup or two if we had got someone like Tevez. Mourinho was a spent force when he arrived.

As I've said on many occasions, it was a scandal, that we would regret for many years, that we failed to reinforce this team over two (or was it three?) transfer windows:

Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Walker, Dembele, Wanyama, Dele (in his prime), Eriksen (ditto), Son, Kane, With Dier, Winks (when he was an England international - and a good player) and Trippier also available.

It's taken six years, several managers and lots of money to get a squad assembled that even starts to resemble the above.

Let's hope Conte can fit all the pieces together - only 49 days to wait!

for me I would say there was 2 occasions
Rednapp when levy got him saha & Nelson, if only Levy had got 2 top players who knows where we would be now, there wasn't the money in the game then, we cpuld have gained a big match on City & Liverpool
and the Leicester season, If levy had got Charlie Austin in Jan window a few goals from him & resting or having extra striker could have won us the league

if pushed i would say the rednapp season was the one when everything could have changed and pushed us forward earlier

for me I would say there was 2 occasions
Rednapp when levy got him saha & Nelson, if only Levy had got 2 top players who knows where we would be now, there wasn't the money in the game then, we cpuld have gained a big match on City & Liverpool
and the Leicester season, If levy had got Charlie Austin in Jan window a few goals from him & resting or having extra striker could have won us the league

if pushed i would say the rednapp season was the one when everything could have changed and pushed us forward earlier

: ostrich:

Redknapp. We all remember the quality of football, which I still think of with fondness. Had the club improved in depth, the league title was possible even at a time when man utd, Chelsea and man city were there or there abouts. Poch peaked when everyone else was shit except energiser bunny Leicester and I don't think the failings were down the player quality, more managerial bum flapping when the pressure got cranked up near the end

Silly question, as it could apply to every club and every manager.
If we had a gazillion pounds to spend, I could buy players and win the title.

But to join in the spirit of the thing I'd go with Redknapp all day long.

He improved players, and every player enjoyed playing under him.

Poch would have got Mane & Wijnaldum instead of Sissoko & Njie and we'd have won the league

Mane wanted wages that broke our wage structure, at the time without new stadium he would have been by far our highest paid player. Hindsight is a wonderful thing we probs should have done it, but I can see why the club didn't. Sissoko over Wijnaldum was just stupid cant defend that. But also Poch loved Sissoko or he wouldn't have kept playing him.

To answer OG question Harry should have been backed and I'm sure he would have if he didn't down tools and throw himself at England whilst fucking our season. But that Window we could of had Aguero and Rossi (before his knees blew up) and ended up with Saha and Nelson still haunts he to this day

Com
redknapp should of as he had 2 genuine gems in modric and bale. if we had a keane/berbatov strike force with them 2 in the midfield i think we win the league, as long as the defence isnt pathetic.

not investing when we had modric and bale in the team is imo the biggest mistake levy has ever made. ive actually heard idiots saying modric wasnt that great at spurs! hes a playmaker who is governed by the quality around him, luckily for bale he was a devastating individual so it didnt matter if he was surrounded by shit because he could still shine, but modric's good work would just fade out because of the standard of players on the other end.

imagine some of the shit we would of seen with modric and berbatov linking up!

Spot on. There were no lessons learned though as that team in 15-17 had some serious talent too

Mourinho.

Redknapp was brilliant, but he wasn't a tactical manager. He was the kind of coach that would say "go out there and do your best".

Poch on the other hand, was very tactically crafted, however his transfer were 90% of the time a disaster. If he were backed, it might've worked for us, or it would've been our downfall financially.

AVB. LOL.
Out of the 27 signings for Poch:

Signings:
Great = Son, Toby
Decent=Dier, Moura, Davies, Sess, Llorente, Davies, Dele (Under Poch was good)
Bad = 18 others.

So its actually 66.6667 % were bad

Most of those were done by Paul Mitchell. When he left our transfer business went to shit until Paratici came in.
Sonny was Poch's signing though. He also tried to get him when he was with Southampton but Son refused. Finally got him after he came to Spurs. Which turned out great.

Another thing to remember is that Levy and Hitchen were always in charge (or another shit mix) and so maybe the question should be if Poch was backed with Paratici could they have done more? I think we would have potentialy made better signings.

I've gone for Mourinho. Sit down at the back!!

I wouldn't trust AVB, Redknapp or Poch to use the money well.
Redknapp would just sign a few mates he knows.
AVB would have fucked it up. He just did. Even if he got good players he was a fake football manager.
Poch didn't/doesn't understand squad football. He'd have had a great starting 11 and a rubbish bench.

Mou was past his prime big time, and on top of that he just refuse to see where he makes mistake and improve on them. He is superb stubborn. AVB overrated as hell, and never was really good at first place.

Both Redknapp and Pochettino has done great for us.
That being said, neither of them even backed big time would have won the title.
I still want to see Pochettino taking on a top club in a competitive league and see how he will doing.
PSG is not a measuring stick. CL is not a measuring stick as well.
I believe Pochettino hit his ceiling with us, and he was also very lucky to have a lot of players in their full prime.
Our CL run in 18-19 was extremely lucky. We barely got out of the group stage, and was done due to we win 1-0 against Inter, and lost 2-1 to them.
Then the same thing with City at 1/4 final, as well as super lucky with the disallowed goal and few other situation, incredible luck next round against Ajax, and our luck runs out next round and a terrible final against Liverpool.

There isn't a single season where i can see and say, okay if we have this or that player we would have definitely would won the title.
You can say we were close in 2016-2017, but we actually wasn't. It was Chelsea all over, and not a close one at all, no matter the difference was 7 points.
After that both City and Liverpool become unreachable.

Harry deserves way more credit than he gets for tactics. Examples… the 2-1 win over Chavs at home is the most complete performance I’ve ever seen from a Spurs team. ‘The’ game at City we slowly strangled them. The whole tie against Milan was tactical genius. He also kept things clear and simple and played to players’ strengths. A good rule for any line of leadership and work. The football before the FA and court case fucked him around was just stunning. Fuck the hypothetical shit bollocks debate - that team was utter class.

Edit: anyone voting for Mourinho with any vague degree of seriousness is an utter moron. Hoofing high balls to the big fella lone striker Lucas Moura? Cancel the creativity and flair of Dele? Egotistical moronic dictator. Jerking off over Winks at breakfast with Levy. Fuck off.
That 2-1 win over Chavas at home, I still remember they got 2 men sent off. But somehow we wasted a few good opportunities to extend the lead. Then they scored back 1 goal at last. That was really frustration. Even though the foramtion was still 4-4-2, Harry adopted a more disciplined approach at that game. (more or less had the same setup in previous game against woolwich ).

I chose Poch but I think it's more about the other managers than it was about him exactly. There's no doubt that he wasn't backed sufficiently at all and he did an amazing job considering that. He could have had more and a longer run of success with a strengthened squad, but I do think that Poch was also fairly inflexible in how he would allow us to play, and I think we would have maybe seen the same ultimate result.

I do think that Levy knows he screwed up as well not backing him, and is at least a part of his decision making with Conte.

Back
Top Bottom