If they had been fully backed

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If backed, who would have been most successful

• Redknapp

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • AVB

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Pochettino

Votes: 83 65.4%
  • Mourinho

Votes: 13 10.2%

• Total voters

Dr Rocktopus

🎃🦇🎃🦇🎃
Hypothetically if each of these managers had said 'we need these specific players' and Levy actually signed them, who do you think would have achieved the most?

For example, had AVB got Moutinho I think we could have challenged for the title.

poch was backed with his players ndombele and lo celso

i think if redknapp didnt always look to aging players possibly but he always wants to find a good deal

AVB wanted hulk and numerous others which he didnt get but im glad he is gone

and mourinho who cares

It's Harry by elimination, not merit really.

AVB's problem wasn't players or tactics, he couldn't get the squad onside. His downfall was alienating players, he proved that at Chelsea where he had loads of talent.

Poch got a lot of the players he wanted, and he's proven at PSG that he can't win even with some of the greatest talent in the world. If he can't do it with Mbappe and Messi, why do we think he'd have done it here with Grealish?

Mourinho "properly backed" could have brought in some high priced names, but he proved at United that he was mostly past it. He continues this endeavor today.

Harry with a blank chequebook would've won us a couple cups I'm pretty sure.

Torn between Poch and Redknapp. If Poch had got his targets Mane, Grealish etc around the point when we finished 3rd and 2nd I think we could have won a title and I think Poch could get more out of players.

HOWEVER. Redknapp was around at the time when Suarez and Hazard were more available at least according to Redknapp and also I believe a few others including the scouts we pushed hard and could have got them before Liverpool and Chelsea where after them but they where out of our price range. Had we got Hazard and Suarez conbined with the premier league being at the end of the Fergie era and not as strong as it is now I actually think our situation would have led to glory.

But it’s all assumptions and guesses. Let’s put it this way both Redknapp and Poch would have come close. As for Jose and AVB that would have had to be serious Man City style backing to win a league or CL.

Pochs team was easily the closest. There was also 2 consecutive windows where we bought nothing. Those windows are probably what hurt us.

Also depends on the definition of successful. If Redknapp wins 2 cups, is he more successful than a CL final run and 2 title challenges? Not in my opinion.

I also think being backed and letting the manager play real life football manager are two different things.

Poch would be the best if he was backed but not if he chose the players.

Last edited:
Mourinho.

Redknapp was brilliant, but he wasn't a tactical manager. He was the kind of coach that would say "go out there and do your best".

Poch on the other hand, was very tactically crafted, however his transfer were 90% of the time a disaster. If he were backed, it might've worked for us, or it would've been our downfall financially.

AVB. LOL.

Didn't we go 3 transfer windows without a signing under Poch? And the only club in the league with a negative net spend. And despite that we were so close. Unforgivable.

God knows what Redknapp or Mourinho would have spent the money on but glad they didn't get anything more than they did.

Mourinho.

Redknapp was brilliant, but he wasn't a tactical manager. He was the kind of coach that would say "go out there and do your best".

Poch on the other hand, was very tactically crafted, however his transfer were 90% of the time a disaster. If he were backed, it might've worked for us, or it would've been our downfall financially.

AVB. LOL.

Mourinho is finished, he might have won us a league cup with spending. He needed to be here 10 years before.

I'm here only to add that Poch wasn't backed at all, the fact he got Lo Celso and Ndombele means nothing as it was too late and two signings couldn't fix whole squad that was already done.
Edit: What about second poll later, winner of this one (Poch I suppose) vs Conte? I'm kinda torn on this one.

Last edited:
Redknapp. We all remember the quality of football, which I still think of with fondness. Had the club improved in depth, the league title was possible even at a time when man utd, Chelsea and man city were there or there abouts. Poch peaked when everyone else was shit except energiser bunny Leicester and I don't think the failings were down the player quality, more managerial bum flapping when the pressure got cranked up near the end

I think if all of them were more backed, Redknapp would be the one closer to winning a premier league. Might sound crazy but I think that. Premier league wasn’t as strong as the last years and that team was excellent but had some absolute clowns as well

Silly question, as it could apply to every club and every manager.
If we had a gazillion pounds to spend, I could buy players and win the title.

But to join in the spirit of the thing I'd go with Redknapp all day long.

He improved players, and every player enjoyed playing under him.

Poch would have got Mane & Wijnaldum instead of Sissoko & Njie and we'd have won the league

Mane wanted wages that broke our wage structure, at the time without new stadium he would have been by far our highest paid player. Hindsight is a wonderful thing we probs should have done it, but I can see why the club didn't. Sissoko over Wijnaldum was just stupid cant defend that. But also Poch loved Sissoko or he wouldn't have kept playing him.

To answer OG question Harry should have been backed and I'm sure he would have if he didn't down tools and throw himself at England whilst fucking our season. But that Window we could of had Aguero and Rossi (before his knees blew up) and ended up with Saha and Nelson still haunts he to this day

Mane wanted wages that broke our wage structure, at the time without new stadium he would have been by far our highest paid player. Hindsight is a wonderful thing we probs should have done it, but I can see why the club didn't. Sissoko over Wijnaldum was just stupid cant defend that. But also Poch loved Sissoko or he wouldn't have kept playing him.

To answer OG question Harry should have been backed and I'm sure he would have if he didn't down tools and throw himself at England whilst fucking our season. But that Window we could of had Aguero and Rossi (before his knees blew up) and ended up with Saha and Nelson still haunts he to this day

We paid Sissoko the wages that Mane wanted...

redknapp should of as he had 2 genuine gems in modric and bale. if we had a keane/berbatov strike force with them 2 in the midfield i think we win the league, as long as the defence isnt pathetic.

not investing when we had modric and bale in the team is imo the biggest mistake levy has ever made. ive actually heard idiots saying modric wasnt that great at spurs! hes a playmaker who is governed by the quality around him, luckily for bale he was a devastating individual so it didnt matter if he was surrounded by shit because he could still shine, but modric's good work would just fade out because of the standard of players on the other end.

imagine some of the shit we would of seen with modric and berbatov linking up!!!

Com
redknapp should of as he had 2 genuine gems in modric and bale. if we had a keane/berbatov strike force with them 2 in the midfield i think we win the league, as long as the defence isnt pathetic.

not investing when we had modric and bale in the team is imo the biggest mistake levy has ever made. ive actually heard idiots saying modric wasnt that great at spurs! hes a playmaker who is governed by the quality around him, luckily for bale he was a devastating individual so it didnt matter if he was surrounded by shit because he could still shine, but modric's good work would just fade out because of the standard of players on the other end.

imagine some of the shit we would of seen with modric and berbatov linking up!

Spot on. There were no lessons learned though as that team in 15-17 had some serious talent too

Back
Top Bottom