Ilaix Moriba

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see that there is talk that he'll sit out the season in Barcelona B if he doesn't move to Spurs (or anyone else for that matter) this window. I'm not sure he actually can.

"B" teams in Spain are teams in their own right, with their own squads. They're not "the reserves" as the idea is understood in Britain. They take part in the normal league structure, are promoted and relegated like any other club. The only difference is that if, for example, Barça B won promotion from the second tier, they wouldn't go up and their place would go to the next team down the list. Similarly, if an A team gets relegated and the B team is in the division below, then that team also has to drop down a tier. You can't have an A and B team in the same division in other words. B teams don't play in the Cup either.

Unlike elsewhere, A team players returning from injury or who aren't being picked for the main squad can't drop down and play with the B team to recover or retain fitness, as they can in Britain. The A team can pick players from the B team, but after a certain number of games with the main team, they are deemed to be part of that squad and can't return to the Bs. Also, B players over 23 can't be picked for the As.

I'm not sure what the maximum number of games a B player can play in the A team before they can't return, for some reason I have the number seven in mind, but that may be bollocks or the rule might have changed. I'm pretty certain it's less than 14 though. So if I'm right, young Ilaix wouldn't be able to return from whence he came and "play with the reserves". If he wanted to play competitive football, he'd have to go out on loan to run his contract down and get his (dad's) dream move to Leipzig, his boyhood club.
I think the agent's plan was for him to sit out entirely - no football at all at any team for a year - so he can go to Leipzig next season on a free.

That seems...not ideal for an 18 y.o.'s development.

Moriba changed agents a few months ago - he's now represented by a German group who have quite a few Leipzig players on their books.

Also fans really need to get out of the mindset of seeing agents as some huge boogeyman. Football is a massive money generator and the players are indeed the product. The older I've got, the more I back them. It's up to clubs as a business to avoid making expensive mistakes.

If Kane had a better agent he'd no longer be a Spurs player.
Agents are part of the game you have to play to get the best players, but usually their fees don't literally double the cost of a transfer.

I think you have to pay his agent and dad 10-15M as add-on to 15M you have to pay Barca. Not the salary.
So as things stand; The apparatus is in place for him to move to Leipzig for a free next . Barca obviously want cash for him now and are calling his bluff by threatening to exile him for the entire season (which would likely hurt his development).

We come in. Obviously he will consider the Prem and London.

Turns out he had an agreement with Chelsea a day or two ago. Something doesn’t add up with this kid.

giphy.webp

Back
Top Bottom