In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t know why everyone is so keen on Potter.

I do agree that he’s a good manager, plays football that is enjoyable to watch and like Poch it’s not a bad odea to go for a young manager who doesn’t necessarily have European experience, but if Ten Hag is available, surely we’ve got to go for him.

Ten Hag has achieved a lot more on the European stage and he has played attractive, winning football with Ajax where they lost key players every season.

Levy is no more qualified to be looking after the football side than you or me. He is a fantastic businessman but he isn’t a former player or coach, the football vision should not be created by an accountant. We badly need a DoF and badly need one with power who isn’t a yes man.
He is more qualified though. He’s ran a football club for decades. That alone makes him more qualified. Doesn’t mean he should be doing it, but it does depend on what you mean by running the football side.

If you mean picking the team and deciding tactics, then no. If you mean identifying players, also no. If you mean signing the players, a hard yes.

I don’t know why everyone is so keen on Potter.

I do agree that he’s a good manager, plays football that is enjoyable to watch and like Poch it’s not a bad odea to go for a young manager who doesn’t necessarily have European experience, but if Ten Hag is available, surely we’ve got to go for him.

Ten Hag has achieved a lot more on the European stage and he has played attractive, winning football with Ajax where they lost key players every season.
He’s not Jose.

He’s probably the level of manager we can attract.

He’s fantastic on the XG or something.

He is more qualified though. He’s ran a football club for decades. That alone makes him more qualified. Doesn’t mean he should be doing it, but it does depend on what you mean by running the football side.

If you mean picking the team and deciding tactics, then no. If you mean identifying players, also no. If you mean signing the players, a hard yes.

Setting the budget I have no issue with but being the one to determine which players come and go I don’t think he is qualified. You build a vision of what football club you want to be and not control that element. A DoF together with scouts, recruitment should be the ones making the list. Now if the reports I read are true (and that’s a big if) and Levy was asking Jose to play or use Dele that is totally unacceptable.

I am no fan of Jose but when he was the manager he should be 100% in control of who plays and be very much part of working out who stays and goes. Levy really needs to step back, he gives the impression and has done over the years of being far to involved in things that he shouldn’t.

Setting the budget I have no issue with but being the one to determine which players come and go I don’t think he is qualified. You build a vision of what football club you want to be and not control that element. A DoF together with scouts, recruitment should be the ones making the list. Now if the reports I read are true (and that’s a big if) and Levy was asking Jose to play or use Dele that is totally unacceptable.

I am no fan of Jose but when he was the manager he should be 100% in control of who plays and be very much part of working out who stays and goes. Levy really needs to step back, he gives the impression and has done over the years of being far to involved in things that he shouldn’t.
I don’t think he is determining who comes and goes. Isn’t Hitchen our scout? I’d imagine he’s the guy who decides on the players and Levy finds out if they fit the budget.

As for the Dele thing, I don’t believe that in the slightest. No way does playing Dele and watch him wandering about like a lost puppy helps his market value. Levy is many things, but he’s not daft.

Just an outside the box thought about Daniel Farke here (may have been mentioned before?) he brought Norwich up, took them down and he’s bringing them up again with ease.....he will most likely take them down again, but that says more about Norwich’s size and structure than their manager....

However, he obviously knows how to manage a team in a very difficult league (all be it the Championship) and has stuck with the club loyally....

Does a guy like this deserve a chance with a ELS, sorry EPL team? Who knows.
But the interesting part is his connections with the Dortmund managerial set up, and we know German football is hot thing for young talent these days, also being German helps, and I wonder with the right club and budget could he attract players form the Bundesliga and the greater Eastern European countries who usually produce Premier league quality players....
Just a thought.....

Roberto Martinez, please God no. I'd take Southgate over him, but he'd be very low down the list for me.

Nearly every other link I've seen would give me more hope than these two.

I don’t think he is determining who comes and goes. Isn’t Hitchen our scout? I’d imagine he’s the guy who decides on the players and Levy finds out if they fit the budget.

As for the Dele thing, I don’t believe that in the slightest. No way does playing Dele and watch him wandering about like a lost puppy helps his market value. Levy is many things, but he’s not daft.
So do you believe that he blocked Dele going out on loan in January?

About Bobby Martinez: since he took over Belgium they have been playing very attractive football!
He's done really well with Belgium

The question should be if he can bring the same qualities back to club football.

Club and international football really are different beasts at this point.

Back
Top Bottom