Is Poch a victim of his own success?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Get top 4 this season and get to the final and all the pain would have been worth it.

Get one and lets see.

Get neither and reaĺly big decisions lay ahead.

And yes, we have had a super 4 years but with nothing tangible to show for it.

Nothing tangible for the fans100's millions of pounds of increased revenue and profit for the board.

Isn't talk of free flowing, expansive, exciting football under Poch all a bit of an urban myth?
🤔
Not an urban myth, but it hasn't clicked very often this season, for all sorts of reasons - yet currently and amazingly we're still 3rd!

Anyway, my opinion is no, he can win us the league.

But he needs to stop fucking about with the back 4, get our full backs sorted and enjoy an injury free season.

I think getting to the semi of the CL with that VAR decision (which without that decision would have resulted in ANOTHER late collapse in an important game) has masked over the fact that we have had a terrible end to this season.

We could have been completely out of contention for the CL final if Ajax would have taken their chances in that first 20 mins as well, we were utterly inept and toothless, thankfully Sissoko came on and saved our blushes.

I wasn't even aware of how bad it actually was until yesterday, 10 points in our last 11 games in the league, that is, like someone else said, relegation form, imagine if we started the season that way?

I feel bad for Poch tbh, injuries and terrible squad investment along with fatigue because of that lack of squad investment has left him in a vulnerable position now despite us actually not being in a bad position currently.

I don't think anybody can argue that we have regressed though despite being in the CL semi and top 3, our points tally per season from two seasons ago has dropped by over 10+ points and our style of play has also regressed so yeah, not sure what to make of it all tbh.

I don't buy the argument that we are ahead of schedule in our achievement being a top 4 club an all that. Part of that success was the hard work of Poch and the player but the other part was the collapse of the top 4 clubs such as manu, chelski and woolwich.

Good point.

90% confident if Poch goes, our key players will follow.

Then again, our key players have all got the same treatment this season that Poch is getting now.

"Eriksen should be sold"
"Dele is not good enough"
"We're better without Kane"

etc. etc. etc.

So maybe fans do know best
The team would disintegrate pretty quickly were Poch to leave.

On Dele though, I think most fans know he's good enough. They just question his application of late

After admirably hanging in there with 9 players against Bournemouth until the dying minutes and handing initiative to the chasing pack in Chelsea, Woolwich and Man utd have we gone as far as we can with Poch?

Has he taken Spurs as far as he can? (Working with the constraints he has done in the past 5 seasons and getting above expectations year after year whilst showing considerable loyalty in the process is it harsh to think about a Tottenham without Poch at the helm?)

The guy has literally moved mountains and worked miracles to get the side where it is today and he should be commended for an excellent job well done in every aspect but if ever there was a time for him and his players and staff to deliver the goods it is now.......and this moment!!!

We need to finish top 4 and be champions league finalists and these are very achievable goals to dare Is to do!!!

And now we need to DO it more then ever.

as a club Tottenham have always done things the hard way and when it pays off the results are fantastic i just feel 1 of the above targets will not be realised before the end of this season with Poch at the helm he and his team have gone missing far too often when it really matters like it does right now.

As other fans have posted he doesn't utilise what he has effectively enough at key moments perfect example is Kyle Walker Peters.
Given the fact its been a very busy and long couple of years for Kieran Trippier and how jaded he is looking i as many other fans would've thought KWP would've had more game time upto now!

It'll be an interesting summer too because the age old question of who will come to Tottenham to warm the bench for Kane when he is fit and i believe we already have him on our books.

I cant believe Poch hasn't ever given Lamela an extended run up top he would be the perfect strike partner for Kane,Llorente ,Sonny and Moura

Interesting what if any business is done in the summer I'm very much of the same opinion as Poch in thinking buying players just because you can just doesn't work.

With the new stadium completed and 5 years of laying double deep foundations domestically at home and abroad looking very solid under Poch will we ever get another opportunity to attract the calibre of key players to form our entire squad as we do right now?

We have cracking full backs in Rosé,Trippier but where is our lightning pace on the wing ATT mid LEFT AND RIGHT.
True enough we have Moura but beyond that we have no one other than N'Koudou who can offer that outlet like Sterling/Sane do for City or Salah/Mane do for Liverpool .

We need to think about bringing in somebody like Sane/ Memphis Depay to maximise the speed of the teams attacks/ counter attacks.

If Poch departs this summer be happy to consider Rafa Benitez or Nuno Espírito Santo as coaches to come in and take over the baton building with Poch's foundations he has laid.

As far as the league is concerned he’s had to contend with ‘home’ games at Wembley, several injuries to key players, and the additional issues that come with managing to lead us into the last 4 of the CL. Despite all of that we’re still a single victory away from guaranteed CL football, and could even qualify without earning another point.

I think he can take us further.

I think he can take us alot further and as i said his work and time at the club thus far is nothing short of miraculous i just feel a short list of things to do in the summer need to happen for his time to be deemed a club icon and move the club even further forward.

For starters Erikson needs to commit to the club this summer - Poch is the only one who can make this happen and i see it as priority number 1.

Is he a victim of his own success?

Absolutely...

He could have had us at 5th for a few years, scored 4th this year took us into the new stadium with CL in our first full season. He'd have hit his brief and no-one what have an tangible cause for complaint.

However, 5th, 3rd 2nd 3rd & potentially 3rd place finishes later:

Now... 3rd and CL sf is "unacceptable" and some will deem our season a disaster unless we actualy win the CL outright.

Rightly or wrongly; if nothing else it's all a bit surreal... We are they best I've known us bar some one-off domestic cup glory yet the axes are out in some quarters and even more want the chairman's blood mere weeks after the new 'wow' stadium opened.

I sincerely wish that we can get over the line and wipe the slate clean for all involved (fans as much as the staff); end of phase 1: new gaff, new dawn and all that, but we seem hell bend on bringing all the interim tension, stress and discontent with us. Shame.

I have nothing but admiration for Poch and how far we have come under his stewardship but why continue to be nearly men when you can go off to a club like Juventus or PSG and guarantee yourself domestic titles.

Poch's profile is so big when does he sacrifice for personal gains?

We are an over achieving team made out to be under achieving because of where he's had us in the past

Finishing anywhere in that top four and getting how far we have in the Champions League is a successful season regardless. Some people will disagree, some will say we deserve better (lol) and some will say it'd be disappointing as we were once title challengers when others had underachieving seasons.

Has he taken Spurs as far as he can? No idea. 6 clubs in this league pay higher wages and spend far more than we do. Yet we tend to finish above atleast 3 of them every single season.. You tell me how far he can take us

I suppose it depends what you mean by 'actual achievement'. If you mean trophies, then of course you're right.
On the other hand, if you mean exciting, enjoyable, entertaining, watchable football, week on week, over a period of years, or an injection of immense pride into the club, then I'd have to disagree.
Trophies are massively important, but they're not everything.

That said, WE MUST WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE - then his place will be cemented into the club's history.

Get top 4 this season and get to the final and all the pain would have been worth it.

Get one and lets see.

Get neither and reaĺly big decisions lay ahead.

And yes, we have had a super 4 years but with nothing tangible to show for it.

One thing to consider, for all you trigger happy ‘realists’. If Poch goes, Kane will follow him soon after. As will Son. They play for him more than anything else.

So if you’re up for starting from scratch, go for it.

Good point.

90% confident if Poch goes, our key players will follow.

Then again, our key players have all got the same treatment this season that Poch is getting now.

"Eriksen should be sold"
"Dele is not good enough"
"We're better without Kane"

etc. etc. etc.

So maybe fans do know best

There's been a nagging thought in my mind all season (and a bit before that, tbh). Is the 'Pochettino way' a busted flush? The weaker teams we play against have got wise to Poch's style of play and set themselves up accordingly, frustrating us, which they seem to be doing more and more successfully.
He needs to introduce not only new blood, but also new tactics. Is he able to do that? I'd say he is (irrational belief to the fore again).

So that fucking great big stadium I’ve been going to since April isn’t tangible? Cramming St.Totteringham’s day down Gooner throats isn’t tangible? Having CL nights midweek isn’t tangible? Actually feeling pride to support my club after years of feeling like it was a laughing stock isn’t tangible?

Blimey, the entitlement.

St totteringsday is a load of shit finishing above Tottenham shouldn't be the be all and end all and vice versa

Stadiums great progress is great but we need to win something instead of posting world record profits, we'll get the clearest indication yet this summer as to why Enic are in this.

Really, Woolwich have strengthed their squad significantly over the last few years. Must have missed that one.
But I can see what you mean. I suppose they haven’t improved that much as whole. But I still think they have a strong squad. They’re just playing shit.

I’d have taken one of Lacazette or Aubameyang though.

Back
Top Bottom