Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
Gone after last night. We'd have to win pretty much every game. We might have caught one but no way will both Wolves and Unted falter and they also both look a lot better than us sadly.

It was gone when we couldn’t see out the last 10 minutes of a winning position against Man U. Even if their penalty was dodgy.

Levy as you state operates on advice from Scouts and Coaches. Bergwijn was already a target before Mourinho arrived and he did not take credit for his purchase but I cannot believe he would not have given his approval. Levy would not have gone and watched him and thought he is the player we need.
As to Fernandes and Lo Celso, whilst we never get the full picture my memory was that last summer both were targets and we only wanted 1 of them basically as Erikson was leaving. We got Lo Celso and everyone was happy at the time and Fernandes stayed where he was. Both players were expensive and neither cheap. Mourinho has recently stated that he would not swap Lo Celso for Fernandes. So whilst Levy does not always get the player the Manager wants, I cannot see he is bringing in players that the Manager does not want. 2018 was the proof as Poch basically said either bring in certain players or none at all. When Levy could not negotiate for the players he wanted then we got no one. That was a mistake and I think Levy has learned from that and that is why we bought 2 expensive players this season.

Lo celso was an Eriksen replacement, so no most of us wasn’t just happy with him. Hence why Spurs went for Dybala, so there was money in the bank to go for that next level elite player to push us forward, yet Levy failed once again. GLC, whilst a decent signing hasn’t made us any stronger than when Eriksen was here. He’s a replacement, nothing more and nothing less. He hasn’t had the impact Ferndades has had for United for instance. Levy failed to push us further as a club and failed to bring in that elite player.

At least we've got VAR to stop horrible decisions on the pitch costing us...

giphy.gif

Mathematically we could still get 4th. Highly improbable but not impossible.

For this to happen ,we need:

Gameweek 36
Man Utd to lose away at Crystal Palace
Leicester to lose to Sheffield United

Gameweek 37
Spurs to beat Leicester
Man Utd to lose at home to West Ham

Gameweek 38
Wolves to drop pointsaway to Chelsea*
Spurs to beat Palace
Leicester and Man Utd to draw
Sheffield United to drop points away at Southampton**

*Could do with Wolves dropping points at home to Palace in GW37
**Could do with Sheff Utd dropping points at home to Everton in GW37

So, not impossible but a major miracle required indeed.

Its mathematically gone now anyway.

I was watching Palace v Man U. Third game out of 7 since the re-start that they benefited from a wrong decision on a penalty call. A stonewall penalty for Palace for a foul by Lindelof on Zaha just before half time, not given. They went straight down the field and Rashford opened the scoring. They've been awarded a record equalling 13 penalties in the Premier League this season. For a bit of context, runaway champions, the Bin Dippers got 5.

Its utterly corrupt. Water under the bridge now, but if they hadn't been awarded that late equalising penalty for the Pogba dive and we had held out, whole dynamic of the last few weeks could have been very different.

It's still possible but I'm not fussed if we don't make it, I don't think there will be any ramifications. Levy was tight with money before we went in to the CL and he's been tight with cash during our CL run and he'll carry on being tight if we don't qualify. The ramifications will come next season if we don't qualify, Mourinho will be sacked and our best players will want to move on.

Last edited:
It is so difficult to predict. I can remember that we would go on non winning runs like now and then we win and everything changes and we win a few games. This is 10 years ago not the nineties. Look at Southampton and Watford. Defensively was better yesterday but our finishing was crap. Some shots were like back passes. 10 years ago I can remember thinking every decision went against us but did not think that during the good Poch years but we seem to have regressed back to 10 years ago. Maybe that is because when we have a bad decision such as not booking Capou that we still won and I did not feel we needed the opposition to go down to 10 men or we did not need penalties to win matches. We need to turn it around and start winning starting against Norwich and then MC. If not then forget top 4.

I think this team lacks the balls to turn things around.

One of my favourite moments as a Spurs fan was our reaction to going 2-0 down to Juve in Turin. Dembele activated beast mode and you could see the entire team go up a level. It was a rare moment of witnessing a collective positive mentality ripple through our players. I think Juve hadn’t conceded in 14-15 games, and we hadn’t failed to score in something stupid like 20-30 games.

Felt so proud of the team that day.

Now they just look like they want to punch the clock, collect their pay cheque, and go home.

Because we don't have a striker and we are not playing well. Yes we are within touching distance but it's a lot to expect this team to turn around the poor season they have had so far and t do it without Harry. Plus we are battling with Wolves, Man Utd, Sheff Utd and even Everton to overtake Chelsea. It's going to be a dogfight till the end of the season for 4th place.We are no longer the consistent strong team we were from 2015 to the end of 2018 so we can't take anything for granted.
We obviously think very differently. Since Poch left, we actually HAVE been a top four side and we also have seen Lo Celso/Tanganga break out, brought in a winger that gave us a winner against the defending champs, and had our captain return. Imagine actually thinking we don't have enough to finish above a poor Everton side, Ole's Utd (LMFAO), and a Sheffield utd team that has never been in a race like this. Like Chelsea don't have 1 win in their last 5 either

There's a very distinct difference between 'we can't take anything for granted' and 'we can forget about CL qualification'

Last edited:
Yes it's gone unless miracle. We nearly missed out last season, only by one point over woolwich.
The Club and DL didn't learn or take it seriously, they spent money but badly, £90m or so on Ndombs and Sess. GLC, Bergs and Gedson have been good signings. They released Llorente w/o replace, everyone knows Kane misses 3 months a season through injury.

The ramifications are massive, the club will go backward, competition is so fierce for the CL places from liverpool, mancity, manu, leicester, chelsea and woolwich and to add Wolves and SHU.
The PL has been so poor this season, not to get CL place is criminal.

Will we be able to recover from this poor and pathetic season?
Would the club/Levy give Jose £150m plus spending budget this summer? We need at least 4 players.

I blame Poch first for his actions in the media during the summer pre season but the main responsibility lies on DL. The damage was done when he neglected TWs for a whole season and these are the consequences. Naive narrow minded poor mentality.

Having not taken all the points against United last week, it's possible but unlikely we can qualify for CL this season. Best to do what we can to secure EL qualification and ensure that we have continental play to offer to potential signings and our existing stars this next season. Then, next season, we need to prioritize league play over our other comps and do what we can to qualify for CL again.

Don't forget that knocking our rivals out of CL spots hurts them incrementally each year we do it. Just look at where Woolwich are at right now and tell me several years of missing CL play hasn't hurt them greatly. We need to do what we can to avoid a similar fate. We've come a long way since Jol, Ramos and Redknapp, and I'll be crushed if we can't capitalize on that and slip back into mid-table mediocrity.

Back
Top Bottom