Is Top 4 Gone Now And What Would Be The Ramifications?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Top 4 Gone?

• Total voters
Surely city have replaced united though.

City finished ahead of Spurs in the four seasons before Pochettino took over. I’m not running down everything Pochettino did, he did a lot of good. What he achieved is overstated though. We were a solid top 4 side under him but the decline of Man U and Woolwich did have a lot to do with that as well. Bar the outlier of the 86 points in 2016/17, points tally in other seasons were among the lines of what were achieved under Redknapp and AVB.

City finished ahead of Spurs in the four seasons before Pochettino took over. I’m not running down everything Pochettino did, he did a lot of good. What he achieved is overstated though. We were a solid top 4 side under him but the decline of Man U and Woolwich did have a lot to do with that as well. Bar the outlier of the 86 points in 2016/17, points tally in other seasons were among the lines of what were achieved under Redknapp and AVB.
Yeah & Then they got much better whilst poch was here. Unless we say they were the same city as before poch. Buy gotta disagree with you on that. They have been very good whilst poch has been here & much better than before his time here. Seems like you are equally trying to understate poch's achievement by saying city weren't that good when poch wasn't here so the fact they got a lot better when he was here doesn't count.

Yeah & Then they got much better whilst poch was here. Unless we say they were the same city as before poch. Buy gotta disagree with you on that. They have been very good whilst poch has been here & much better than before his time here. Seems like you are equally trying to understate poch's achievement by saying city weren't that good when poch wasn't here so the fact they got a lot better when he was here doesn't count.

Achievement in football is ultimately winning trophies. Pochettino had the best crop of players we’ve had in over 50 years and couldn’t deliver a trophy in any of the 21 chances he had to do so.

Achievement in football is ultimately winning trophies. Pochettino had the best crop of players we’ve had in over 50 years and couldn’t deliver a trophy in any of the 21 chances he had to do so.
I am not unhappy Poch has gone. He fecked up a final and fecked up at least 1 SF.
OK, financially the club did better by getting top 4 than winning cups but I would rather the cups.

You keep changing your argument though. First you argue how important the competition is. Now you're saying ultimately football is about winning trophies without any mention of the competition. Its strange to make a big point that poch getting us top 4 is devalued due to the poor competition. But then go on to say ultimately it's about trophies. So the competition doesnt matter if you win it, but it does if you get top 4. Anyway, we see it very differently & neither of our minds will be changed. Hopefully mourinho gets us a much needed trophy.
Ps. 1 trophy in 18 years under ENIC. Whats that about? 1 in 65? Football is ultimately about winning trophies you say. I think you might weaken your stance on that comment now.

Last edited:
I am not unhappy Poch has gone. He fecked up a final and fecked up at least 1 SF.
OK, financially the club did better by getting top 4 than winning cups but I would rather the cups.
Than levy/ENIC have done awful for you on that front. 1 league cup in 18 years.

You keep changing your argument though. First you argue how important the competition is. Now you're saying ultimately football is about winning trophies without any mention of the competition. Its strange to make a big point that poch getting us top 4 is devalued due to the poor competition. But then go on to say ultimately it's about trophies. So the competition doesnt matter if you win it, but it does if you get top 4. Anyway, we see it very differently & neither of our minds will be changed. Hopefully mourinho gets us a much needed trophy.

Top 4 is important. That’s the rules in the EPL era. I do feel Pochettino benefited from the traditional big guns been weaker than they were say when Harry Redknapp was there. I also feel a more hard nosed manager than Pochettino would have won the league in either or possibly both of 2015/16 & 2016/17 with the players that were there. Leicester won it in 2015/16. Chavs had Hazard and Costa with the season of his life in 2016/17, but other than that, we had better players nearly everywhere on the field. Chavs had a hard nosed ruthless shit like Conte in their corner who knew how to get the job done.

Then Levy/ENIC has done awful for you on that front. 1 league cup in 18 years.
It's not awful.
Life is life. I have enjoyed Spurs being a top team.
Would I rather another LC and 10th every year? No.
But we had the chance, we had the players but IMO not the manager that wanted to win cups.
From his own mouth the words: "I would like to win the Carabao Cup. But I think it will not change the life of Tottenham."

Top 4 is important. That’s the rules in the EPL era. I do feel Pochettino benefited from the traditional big guns been weaker than they were say when Harry Redknapp was there. I also feel a more hard nosed manager than Pochettino would have won the league in either or possibly both of 2015/16 & 2016/17 with the players that were there. Leicester won it in 2015/16. Chavs had Hazard and Costa with the season of his life in 2016/17, but other than that, we had better players nearly everywhere on the field. Chavs had a hard nosed ruthless shit like Conte in their corner who knew how to get the job done.
On the flip side I think with better & more supportive owners poch would have won us trophies. We will never know.

It's not awful.
Life is life. I have enjoyed Spurs being a top team.
Would I rather another LC and 10th every year? No.
But we had the chance, we had the players but IMO not the manager that wanted to win cups.
From his own mouth the words: "I would like to win the Carabao Cup. But I think it will not change the life of Tottenham."
I don't think we have the owners who want to win cups either. Unless they do & are failing.

On the flip side I think with better & more supportive owners poch would have won us trophies. We will never know.

Possibly. Where we needed to push on at end of 2016/17 season was where we stood still. A better striking back up option the previous summer than Vincent Janssen would have been a help too.

Right now, with our injuries, it’s impossible. We need a decent striker and powerful midfielder - which could be a fit and focused NDombele - to win the games we need to to have any chance. There is an opportunity to get back among it. There are plenty of winnable matches over the next few months that we got nothing from last year. But we need another couple of leading players.

It certainly looks gone now to me too.

As for the ramifications - I can’t see anything other than perpetuation of the status quo at best, playing-squad-wise, but more likely a strong focus to reduce our wage bill from Levy.

back to bobbling around in 8th-5th until another miracle happens, or not.

mou gone in the summer imho, once he realises there is no/limited chequebook available to him. Worse case is that gets dragged out with him miserable and poisonous for another season.

begin cycle again.

Back
Top Bottom