Jack Clarke

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We're still talking about games we intend to win (or even must win if we're to achive our goals) so injuries and plentiful rotation options aside (see above) we're not gonna play a weakened side(*)... However that doesn't mean it's over here before it's begun.

Kid's got loan written all over him.... Time/age is on his side.

(*Think how many fans are saying we MUST win a trophy.... That's not exactly in synch with such a desire is it?)
So you think he is not good enough as playing him makes the side a weak team. You may be right as Saturday was not a big enough test. There was not a lot of difference between him and Sess on Saturday and with 7 games in 2 weeks including some against weak opposition then if he does not get a game then yes there is no point him being here. However loans did not work out for him last season.

Definitely a prospect.

You can tell by the way he floats past full backs from time to time that he has got something about him. He's 18, I could barely figure out if 3 wanks or 4 were too much on a saturday morning at that age.

Could be something good, could be some great.

So you think he is not good enough as playing him makes the side a weak team. You may be right as Saturday was not a big enough test. There was not a lot of difference between him and Sess on Saturday and with 7 games in 2 weeks including some against weak opposition then if he does not get a game then yes there is no point him being here. However loans did not work out for him last season.

Only in as much as he'd be 6th or 7th choice in his regular position and would be unlikely to play ahead of those players.

Kane's loans weren't always a success.... Also see Townsend..... Didn't mean that all that was left for them at 18 was the exit door.

Clarke needs a good loan this season that will offer him plenty of game time. Last season was a wasted season for him, so hopefully he can head to a Championship or even a League 1 club that will offer him the time he needs.

Clarke needs a good loan this season that will offer him plenty of game time. Last season was a wasted season for him, so hopefully he can head to a Championship or even a League 1 club that will offer him the time he needs.
A League 1 loan near or in London would have been good. Easy to keep track of him that way. Which would be Wimbledon or Charlton. Preferably Wimbledon then since Charlton seems to be in chaos right now.

A League 1 loan near or in London would have been good. Easy to keep track of him that way. Which would be Wimbledon or Charlton. Preferably Wimbledon then since Charlton seems to be in chaos right now.
I'm pretty skeptical of the benefit of a League 1 loan vs daily training with a top 6 PL club. Just don't see how a season at Wimbledon sets you up for success - lad's played tons of football in his life, he knows a match is 90 minutes - what else is he gonna learn?

We tried for years to loan Kane out to develop him and he rarely came back looking like anything more than the ungainly academy product with potential that he left as. Wasn't until he was forced into the squad by necessity that he really started flying.

I'm not even too keen on Championship loans, but League 1 forget it. If thats actually under consideration then sell him with a buy-back clause, as its unlikely he's ever gonna cut it.

I'm pretty skeptical of the benefit of a League 1 loan vs daily training with a top 6 PL club. Just don't see how a season at Wimbledon sets you up for success - lad's played tons of football in his life, he knows a match is 90 minutes - what else is he gonna learn?

We tried for years to loan Kane out to develop him and he rarely came back looking like anything more than the ungainly academy product with potential that he left as. Wasn't until he was forced into the squad by necessity that he really started flying.

I'm not even too keen on Championship loans, but League 1 forget it. If thats actually under consideration then sell him with a buy-back clause, as its unlikely he's ever gonna cut it.

I know many former players and managers talk about needing game time to develop and the list of loanees that went on to succeed is much longer than guys that hung around the training ground without playing for years that succeeded.

I would imagine that playing in games versus just training helps you develop by facing real situations against real opposition going all out to stop you. I also think that going against defenders more at his level is likely a better development system than having Toby eat his lunch everyday in training. Although if he is a winger there is some argument that going against our "FBs" may actually be easier for him than what he will face in League 1 or the Championship.

Sure he's played tons of football but for most of those games he is likely superior, if not far superior, to his opponents. He can likely get away with stuff that he can't in the PL and beat players based purely on his skill which he won't be able to do in the PL. By playing against players that are closer to his skill level he has to learn to play when he isn't able to just boss people. He has to learn how to adapt, improve in areas and learn new skills to keep up.

I know many former players and managers talk about needing game time to develop and the list of loanees that went on to succeed is much longer than guys that hung around the training ground without playing for years that succeeded.

I would imagine that playing in games versus just training helps you develop by facing real situations against real opposition going all out to stop you. I also think that going against defenders more at his level is likely a better development system than having Toby eat his lunch everyday in training. Although if he is a winger there is some argument that going against our "FBs" may actually be easier for him than what he will face in League 1 or the Championship.

Sure he's played tons of football but for most of those games he is likely superior, if not far superior, to his opponents. He can likely get away with stuff that he can't in the PL and beat players based purely on his skill which he won't be able to do in the PL. By playing against players that are closer to his skill level he has to learn to play when he isn't able to just boss people. He has to learn how to adapt, improve in areas and learn new skills to keep up.
I'm just skeptical a season in League One helps. The playing standard is so low - if the kid needs to drop down that far to find players of equal caliber to play against and develop, then he's probably never going to develop into a contributing member of a PL CL level squad. Hence, sell with a buy back - if he does manage to defy the odds then buy him back....but if we're really looking at League One loans, then we're probabky just going to be paying his wages and loaning him out until the contract expires and he disappears into anonymous FL football.

I'm just skeptical a season in League One helps. The playing standard is so low - if the kid needs to drop down that far to find players of equal caliber to play against and develop, then he's probably never going to develop into a contributing member of a PL CL level squad. Hence, sell with a buy back - if he does manage to defy the odds then buy him back....but if we're really looking at League One loans, then we're probabky just going to be paying his wages and loaning him out until the contract expires and he disappears into anonymous FL football.

League One is likely too low I agree but I would say whether he goes to League One, Championship or stays with us most likely he will never turn into a regular player for us.

I would rather see him go to League One and play 30+ games a year than go to another Championship team and sit on the bench. You might be right that it doesn't say much about his future but I think it is much better for his development to play games.

Playing football games at a senior level is very different from training and from playing youth games. Most players will benefit from playing serious senior football regularly when they have reached a certain stage in their development. Getting loans and regular football is not a guarantee for positive development, but not getting it is almost a guarantee of no development.

The world, and young english footballers, are starting to wake up to this fact, which is why you see more and more players who seek abroad to get the right level experience rather than being stuck at top clubs.

That being said, with Clarke, from what I have heard he has not looked himself since his collapse. Maybe he'd be better off in a more stressfree environment with training for a while, rather than being on loan and competing.

I thought he looked nice and positive at the weekend although he did give the ball away a few times with poor passing. Basically on that performance I can’t see why he wasn’t played more at QPR. Maybe his face just didn’t fit?

I just watched the Jack Clarke & Gedson comps from the Ipswich game back to back.

The main thing I noticed is that Clarke seems to have a better first touch than Gedson.

Obviously a small sample, but Clarke's technique is good and he put one lovely cross in that Dane Scarlett couldn't quite reach despite his best efforts.

Back
Top Bottom