Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thing is, neither of us are on the pitch though. That's a different argument. I can understand why he would react, Torres was being a cunt. I'm saying that Vertonghen perhaps shouldn't have gone down to Torres' level.
We weren't but you've played the game. I know that if someone was going out of their way to try and get me sent off, I would definitely give something back. I think he was pretty well disciplined not to break Torres in half. I don't condone it BUT I admit if I was in that situation and getting annoyed I'd probably have done the same.

I think people forget that our shit smells the same as everyone else's sometimes. It was a one off and I don't think AVB has anything to address other than "don't do it again".

We weren't but you've played the game. I know that if someone was going out of their way to try and get me sent off, I would definitely give something back. I think he was pretty well disciplined not to break Torres in half. I don't condone it BUT I admit if I was in that situation and getting annoyed I'd probably have done the same.

I think people forget that our shit smells the same as everyone else's sometimes. It was a one off and I don't think AVB has anything to address other than "don't do it again".
Which was what I said (bolded part). *shuts down laptop in fit of rage*

:adebaehug:

This is the second time I've heard this and I don't know what game you were watching.

The ball had already bounced for fucks sake.
Jan pretended to be hurt to get Torres sent off, let's not kid ourselves here. I still love the guy, but I didn't like that from him.

Fair enough. I'll take back the dramatic "painful area of the forehead" part of my post. But unless we want to go over it in minute detail then I'll just say that I don't think that particular incident is as cut and dry as Jan feigning injury in a deliberate attempt to get Torres sent off. For me, that doesn't tell the whole story.

Which was what I said (bolded part). *shuts down laptop in fit of rage*

:adebaehug:
LJBF
121130052021-andre-villas-boas-tottenham-horizontal-gallery.jpg

There has been minimal coverage of Torres trying to scratch his signature in Super Jans face, strangely mute all those hack journos!!

If Vertonghen had been the cheat that Mourinho maintains surely he would have rolling on the floor like an idiot after the face scratch.

I see Jan has just "liked" a picture of vermaelen wearing a filth shirt.....

Tut tut...

Andre Villas-Boas defends Jan Vertonghen after Torres clash

Last Updated: October 1, 2013 11:52pm

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has defended Jan Vertonghen in the wake of Saturday's clash with Chelsea striker Fernando Torres.

The Belgium defender was involved in a running battle with Torres which culminated in the Spaniard's dismissal for a second yellow card - prompting Blues boss Jose Mourinho to launch a scathing post-match analysis of Vertonghen's contribution.

But with Torres waiting on the FA to rule on the incident that saw him raise his hands to Vertonghen's face, Villas-Boas has issued an endorsement of his player's 'values.'

The Portuguese coach told Sky Sports News: "Well I think the incident is pretty clear and people must draw their own conclusions from what they saw.

"What we have with Jan, he is only in his second year and he has become the captain of Spurs as well. He is one of our captains elected by myself and by the club because he has been that type of leader and that type of person for his last years with the national team and with Ajax. So he is a person that we hold high in the team.

"I'm extremely happy that most of the media saw the incident, knows about Jan's values and have decided to draw positive conclusions about him and about his character.

"So that's the end of the matter for us. We believe in the player a lot and we believe he is more than a great player and a great person."

Spurs are currently sitting just two points off the top of the Premier League with only Woolwich and Liverpool above them, but Villas-Boas expects a resurgence from the likes of champions Manchester United.

He said: "At the moment it's very, very tight. We've played Chelsea and Woolwich, most of the teams have played big teams already.

"Probably the most dramatic of calendars was given to Man United and maybe that's reflected on their position at the moment and the number of points that they receive, but now they have other fixtures that they can recover.

"Even so they come from a difficult result to take at home against West Brom so I wouldn't say that you can see any pattern at the moment but it's coming like we predicted at the beginning, it's going to be very tight at the top."

On rumours that out-of-favour striker Emmanuel Adebayor will be sent out on loan, he added: "At the moment he's come back into the team to train, which he hasn't done since the Hong Kong trip, so at the moment we are monitoring how the player develops his fitness and challenges for his place in the team. We're not considering anything."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...oas-defends-jan-vertonghen-after-torres-clash

Do we have de-facto duel leadership roles in the team!

Unfortunately Daws is the club captain, don't get me wrong I love the guy and he is currently our Mr Tottenham, however with the few recent mistakes we seriously need to get Kaboul back. I suspect that if Daws isn't playing then it would more than likely be Vertonghen as he would seem the most likely candidate. The good thing is we have several leaders on the pitch.

Would like to see Sandro lead the team and further in the the future I'd like Holtby.

i was at the game on saturday in the park lane and saw the incident that lead to the sending off in real time - same as the referee. In my opinion it looked like the ball was there to be challenged but torres went in completely recklessly, making contact in mid air with vertonghen after he'd won the header. It was purely nasty if you ask me and i think he knew what he was doing.

Having now seen the replay i don't disagree that JV made the most of it (and why not, after being tripped up and scratched in the face earlier in the game) but I still think it warranted a booking. It's one of those where a slow mo replay actually confuses things rather than clears them up. In real time (which is how it happened) it looks way worse.

Jan is very level headed. Torres was trying to get a response out of him to get him sent off. Personally I'd have earnt myself a years ban for pounding that cunt Torres to a pulp but instead Vertongen got on with it and the end result was Torres got himself deservedly sent off. Vertongen won the battle ultimately. Just more evidence of what a class act Vertongen is.

Back
Top Bottom