Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very undisciplined at the moment< has to control his over exuberance!! yellow cards showing that.

I also would like the captain to start almost every game, at the moment that looks very certain for Hugo and Jan for next season, while Holtby has a job to do to get there.

He's only a pup. Two to three years of first team experience and he'll be there. Maybe I'm posting this Holtby lovin' in the wrong thread but he's a gun and I've got high hopes for him at the moment.

Got high hopes for him too. Have seen him a bit in the Bundesliga, the lad is very talented. He wants to succeed at WHL badly and I like to see that from a player. I hope we show patience with him, but I think a pre-season will do him good.

He's only a pup. Two to three years of first team experience and he'll be there. Maybe I'm posting this Holtby lovin' in the wrong thread but he's a gun and I've got high hopes for him at the moment.
I agree he is part of the future and his enthusism really fires others up; definatley part of future leadership group!:thumbup:

Vertonghen still has a way to go, can be erratic at times. Beautiful player to watch and I hope he's with Spurs for a long time.
Judging by the send off that he got on Sunday he got it right at Ajax and was rightfully worshipped. He could go into the all time greats list here as well, as long as we build on what we have at the moment.
You've got to feel sorry for Ajax fans, they lose so many of their world class players to other European leagues and they still give them send offs like the one seen at the weekend, that's Class.

Judging by the send off that he got on Sunday he got it right at Ajax and was rightfully worshipped. He could go into the all time greats list here as well, as long as we build on what we have at the moment.
You've got to feel sorry for Ajax fans, they lose so many of their world class players to other European leagues and they still give them send offs like the one seen at the weekend, that's Class.
Yes that is class: We are lucky we have an excellent player who wanted to play for Spurs and is leading by example:
th

“Thank you for the wonderful farewell yesterday! Great to be back in the Arena and to see everyone again!” – Jan Vertonghen.
After scoring his third goal in two Spurs Premier League games, Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas said on Saturday: ”Jan did it so well for Ajax, and now is doing it for us.”
Spurs fans had been purring about Jan Vertonghen even before the Belgian claimed four goals in five appearances and also secured the man of the match award in the north London derby win over Woolwich.
Yet, Ajax supporters hold Vertonghen in even higher esteem. Amsterdam was where the Tottenham defender came through the ranks, eventually captaining Frank de Boer’s team to Eredivisie titles.
As proof that Vertonghen’s recent goal scoring is no fluke, in the previous three Ajax campaigns he twice claimed 6 goals and last season notched 8.
On Sunday, before Ajax eased to a 4-1 home victory over NEC, the Amsterdam giants bid farewell to three former stars: Vertonghen, Vurnon Anita and Gregory van der Wiel, who moved to Newcastle and PSG respectively.
Vertonghen was received in spectacular fashion with a fireworks show and rather large banner. Footage and pictures below.
BGwv7o7CcAAgYGv.jpg

We should have done this for Judas when he left....

Vertonghen looks to me the embodiment of a classy defender. Doesn't need to be overly aggressive as his positional sense is superb, his control of most situations is calming on those around him, and he is extremely comfortable on the ball.

He really reminds me of one of the great sweepers of the last twenty years; Matthias Sammer.

Maybe we should be playing super Jan up front, his finish for the goal against Swansea was quality. He has certainly been more prolific in front of goal than Ade, this season.
This calendar year, Super Jan has actually scored more than Defoe and Ade combined. There's no doubt their place in the squad should come under question after the season ends. Ade especially.

This calendar year, Super Jan has actually scored more than Defoe and Ade combined. There's no doubt their place in the squad should come under question after the season ends. Ade especially.

Agree completely, Ade needs to move-on at the end of the season. Maybe Woolwich might put an offer in for him, they like bringing back former players. I won't mention names, but you can probably guess who I mean.

Agree completely, Ade needs to move-on at the end of the season. Maybe Woolwich might put an offer in for him, they like bringing back former players. I won't mention names, but you can probably guess who I mean.
Agreed: Get Ade French or Spanish citizenship and dangle him under their noses and Woolwich will pay double for him

Vertonghen was received in spectacular fashion with a fireworks show and rather large banner. Footage and pictures below.
BGwv7o7CcAAgYGv.jpg

They'd probably take a banner that size off us if we tried puling a stunt like that!
Sometimes, European football clubs/fans leave us standing in the dark ages... you get the feeling that English football just doesn't 'get it' when it comes to making grand gestures of support like that... imagine Fireworks in the Park Lane end!!!!

I love Vertonghen - I really do - but I think some of the praise has been a little OTT, probably because he's so comfortable on the ball.

He has done remarkably well considering it has been his first season, but he did have an error-prone few weeks recently and has not been as faultless as many will have you believe.

Still, a great long-term signing and will be even better alongside Kaboul IMO.

I am thinking that Super Jan is going to be an asset in luring other players to the club like maybe Eriksen??

Back
Top Bottom