January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
To buy 2, or as some suggest 3 players it's probably going to be conditional on selling first.
Unless for the first time since 07/08, at a time where the club have massive financial commitments, we are going to net spend more than £30m.
So, who's going then?
We spent around £10m net in the summer.
I also think that if Berahino would have been signed it would have been conditional on Lamela being sold. We obviously were willing to do so & gave permission for his agent to talk.
We only have 21 in our squad, 9 home grown. So we can buy another 4 players in theory.
However, MP has also stated that 25 and no more is what he likes to work with. So, if the clamouring is for 3 players it will be at the expense of some of the unlimited u21's.

To buy 2, or as some suggest 3 players it's probably going to be conditional on selling first.
Unless for the first time since 07/08, at a time where the club have massive financial commitments, we are going to net spend more than £30m.
So, who's going then?
We spent around £10m net in the summer.
I also think that if Berahino would have been signed it would have been conditional on Lamela being sold. We obviously were willing to do so & gave permission for his agent to talk.
We only have 21 in our squad, 9 home grown. So we can buy another 4 players in theory.
However, MP has also stated that 25 and no more is what he likes to work with. So, if the clamouring is for 3 players it will be at the expense of some of the unlimited u21's.
Don't think the Berahino deal was dependent on Lamela. Lamela's potential deal with Marseille was only a loan anyway.The reason for us not signing Berahino, was Levy's deadline day strategy completely backfiring. Still think he's our best option, and Pulis doesn't seem to want him either.

Don't think the Berahino deal was dependent on Lamela. Lamela's potential deal with Marseille was only a loan anyway.The reason for us not signing Berahino, was Levy's deadline day strategy completely backfiring. Still think he's our best option, and Pulis doesn't seem to want him either.

There is something I really dislike about Berahino. He does show glimpses of talent now and again, but he goes missing in games more often than not. You don't really ever see him working back, I'm not sure if he could lead the line alone and judging by the way he pulled out the header against United, he doesn't seem to put his body on the line. For the £25m being asked I think we could get someone a lot better, for cheaper and come out with some change.

There is something I really dislike about Berahino. He does show glimpses of talent now and again, but he goes missing in games more often than not. You don't really ever see him working back, I'm not sure if he could lead the line alone and judging by the way he pulled out the header against United, he doesn't seem to put his body on the line. For the £25m being asked I think we could get someone a lot better, for cheaper and come out with some change.
Yeah, he sometimes acts like a spoiled child, but I also see a lot of potential in him. I don't think he's valued at 25m anymore, not even by West Brom. Pulis is playing him out wide as a defensive winger, apparently the only other club interested is Newcastle. I think it's obvious that Pulis doesn't want him. Imo he's our best option and a fairly safe bet. Austin is another option, but I think the only reason he hasn't been picked up by another club is, that he's crooked(allegedly).

Yeah, he sometimes acts like a spoiled child, but I also see a lot of potential in him. I don't think he's valued at 25m anymore, not even by West Brom. Pulis is playing him out wide as a defensive winger, apparently the only other club interested is Newcastle. I think it's obvious that Pulis doesn't want him. Imo he's our best option and a fairly safe bet. Austin is another option, but I think the only reason he hasn't been picked up by another club is, that he's crooked(allegedly).

I'm sure with the right manager and some genuine young talent (Kane, Alli, Dier) around him then his potential will come good.

I don't know whether I've mentioned this before but I still think Ayoze Perez is our best target. Young, goal scorer and willing to learn.

I'm sure with the right manager and some genuine young talent (Kane, Alli, Dier) around him then his potential will come good.

I don't know whether I've mentioned this before but I still think Ayoze Perez is our best target. Young, goal scorer and willing to learn.
Was thinking more along the lines of who are actually realistic in January

If we could create my Fifa 16 career mode team for real then I'd really fancy our chances..
[formation=4231, Leno, Walker, Toby, Jan, Davies, Alli, Dier, Bale, Eriksen, Ferreira Carrasco, Lacazette][/formation]

Vorm, Wimmer, Rose, Bentaleb, Barkley, Son, Kane.

Was forced into selling Lloris has he was homesick, yet joined Bayern. Lamela wanted to go as well.
:goonermong:

Yeah, but it would have freed up at least 1.3 million, if they paid half his wages, of the wage bill.
I don't think we left it until deadline day. We were after him in July. The window was also a week shorter this year.
We also had to sell players first to raise funds. 6 squad members and Holtby.
We did 13 (14?) transfers in all, in and out, during the reduced window. That aint bad imo.
WBA just didn't want to sell him , not to us anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it would have freed up at least 1.3 million, if they paid half his wages, of the wage bill.
I don't think we left it until deadline day. We were after him in July.
We also have to sell players first to raise funds.
WBA just didn't want to sell him , not to us anyway.
And now he has reduced in value, is not playing as well and the WBA Chairman has egg on his face!

I mentioned this a few pages back, but will say it again anyway.

£25m for Berahino always seemed a little OTT. Can't imagine we would pay that now. Whats more, his attitude stinks. His form hasn't been great this year as a result, and he looks like he is carrying a few extra Kg's since he had his tantrum as well. It seems we may have broken him before even signing him. Pretty sure we could take a chance on someone cheaper and it would not be less of a risk. There are actually lots of options open to us this January.

Someone might prove me wrong, cause I haven't seen his numbers (in terms of running/tracking back) and haven't seen too much of WBA this season. However, I seriously, seriously doubt ANYONE, let alone someone of Berahino's size, would be playing on the outside of midfield for a Pulis team without working back, and without showing in training, in the dressing room and in matches that they're committed.

Someone might prove me wrong, cause I haven't seen his numbers (in terms of running/tracking back) and haven't seen too much of WBA this season. However, I seriously, seriously doubt ANYONE, let alone someone of Berahino's size, would be playing on the outside of midfield for a Pulis team without working back, and without showing in training, in the dressing room and in matches that they're committed.

The thing is, Pulis didn't want him at the club. He was prepared for him to go in the summer and then wanted to go on and bring in his own replacement. It was Peace who stopped him leaving, and it's probably Peace who is making sure he plays each week.

The only person who will look like a twat out of all of this is Peace, as they'll be lucky to get anything close to £25m for him now.

I mentioned this a few pages back, but will say it again anyway.

£25m for Berahino always seemed a little OTT. Can't imagine we would pay that now. Whats more, his attitude stinks. His form hasn't been great this year as a result, and he looks like he is carrying a few extra Kg's since he had his tantrum as well. It seems we may have broken him before even signing him. Pretty sure we could take a chance on someone cheaper and it would not be less of a risk. There are actually lots of options open to us this January.

Completely agree. Leave Berahino well alone now, he wasn't then and certainly isn't now worth £25m. I'm gutted we missed out on Ings as I think he'd of flourished in our team, especially with Pochettino coaching him. But you're right, we do have some good options open to us.

For the first team in a long time I feel at ease and excited about our season and our squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom