January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The signs are exactly the same as last January. Where eventually people were saying we were destined to fail because we didn't invest. That didn't happen.

I think we can improve on Sissoko. I don't think there is a player available who would obviously improve us in the front. I think Kane, Dele, Eriksen and Son is our front 4 for the foreseeable.

People saying Malcom would be a great signing, I agree but not necessarily this season, which is then what people are expecting. He would take time to adjust like most players do from this League. We can't expect a player like that to come in and tear it up half way through a season in a brand new league, the toughest one about. People think it'll solve all our problems, it won't.

We need better than Sissoko in CM. But there isn't anyone available right now. It takes a certain type of stupidity for a club to sell a key player in January. We'd have to vastly overspend.

When Malcom goes to Woolwich, the same characters will bemoan a lack of investment and how we've missed out. We'll then finish above them and they'll do the same next winter.

I would love Moura on loan from PSG. We can see if he is able to adjust to the League in that time, he's super talented and can unlock defences with his pace and creativity. Then if he proves himself we can buy in the summer. That's our best option for the wing imo.
So, you agree that the squad could be improved. And it’s being discussed in a thread for transfers. I’m not really sure why you’ve got a complaint.

I tend to agree with you about the difficulty in improving our front four and about the need to strengthen midfield. I also agree it’s tough to find value in January.

I’m also pretty sure we improve as the season goes on, so that would also fly in the face of making any moves now.

But being great now doesn’t mean we shouldn’t make moves. I remember Ferguson always signing a couple of players to go into his Premier League winning team and they went from strength to strength. Plus, we never know who’ll be a success. Our top ten signings would have maybe two or three successful players in it, so it’s not just about sending tens of millions.

So, you agree that the squad could be improved. And it’s being discussed in a thread for transfers. I’m not really sure why you’ve got a complaint.

I tend to agree with you about the difficulty in improving our front four and about the need to strengthen midfield. I also agree it’s tough to find value in January.

I’m also pretty sure we improve as the season goes on, so that would also fly in the face of making any moves now.

But being great now doesn’t mean we shouldn’t make moves. I remember Ferguson always signing a couple of players to go into his Premier League winning team and they went from strength to strength. Plus, we never know who’ll be a success. Our top ten signings would have maybe two or three successful players in it, so it’s not just about sending tens of millions.
My complaint is of people suggesting without transfers we won't be good enough when we've proven we are.

My complaint is of people suggesting without transfers we won't be good enough when we've proven we are.
Depends on expectation I suppose.

I’ve been supporting for over 35 years and this is as good as I’ve seen us, but my expectations have been raised due to the last couple of years.

I think we should be challenging at the top and we aren’t, so we aren’t good enough.

If, however, you are happy with top four, and we probably should be considering the Wembley situation, then we are probably good enough. All about expectations.

I'm shocked people are surprised that our windows are quiet. Not because of lack of news, but because it is Levy doing most of the negotiating. He's notoriously quiet and even put in a "no disclosure" clause into the negotiations for Aurier with PSG.

I'd much rather have a club that keeps quiet about their negotiations than one that brags and then the deals fall through

Nice if Arp works out, but we would need someone to come in and have an impact now! If it's a younger player for a high cost, so be it! We look quite stagnant this season compared to the previous season and teams are figuring out how to stop us. Combining this with how other teams around us have improved (City/Utd) doesn't bode well for us this season.

Now before someone comes in and says except for City nobody is doing that great and we are only X points behind them/above them, the matter is, we need to be thinking like City even if we don't have the same resources. City are flying in the league and are still looking to sign players and improve. Same mentality at every elite club like Madrid/Barca.

So we need to pull our fingers out our bum and sign someone who can be a legitimate starting 11 player by the end of January.

Fans want new signings.
Levy laughs a little bit.
Press release news saying that we won’t sign anyone but will also not sell.
Fans “just not selling anyone and giving one or two new contracts to our players is JUST LIKE A NEW SIGNING”

Levy literally made a lot of fans say that a new contracts is just like a new signing. He’s a genius. :levylol:

I pray to god that poch don’t leave us. We are so fucked when that happens. I’m not anti levy, he’s a competent guy but if it wasn’t for poch managing us I doubt a lot that would finish top 4 on the last 2 seasons. Poch was levy lottery ticket. As soon we finish out of champions league football fans will want his head just like the good old days.

BACK THE FUCKING MANAGER IN THIS WINDOW
Fantastic post Nabil

Back
Top Bottom