January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have Lamela and GLC . it's enough for this season.
sick emergency room GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

If this is right then we are probably bringing in a midfielder, aren’t we

I didn't really mean like for like, more replacing him in the squad. Skipp would likely be competing with Hojbjerg or playing next to him in tougher games. Hojbjerg, Skipp, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Winks as our CM options next season i dont think we need a replacement for Sissoko. I'd hope all our money goes on a top class centre back, a right back and someone who can match the quality of Son on the right hand side.
Sissoko will be 32 at the start of next season. He is a great athlete, so he may last a few more years but plenty of players fall off steeply around that age, especially players whose game relies on athleticism.

I don’t really understand our refusal to have an option to buy Dele? It’s clear he’s not wanted by Mourinho, I’m sure PSG and Poch would pay a handsome sum for him and as we seem insistent on signing a replacement, when Dele returns in the Summer it will likely just add to our already bloated squad?

Only logical reason I can come up with is that Levy is boxing clever in the eventuality that Mourinho isn’t here come start of next season, and the incoming manager would want to use Dele...

I don’t really understand our refusal to have an option to buy Dele? It’s clear he’s not wanted by Mourinho, I’m sure PSG and Poch would pay a handsome sum for him and as we seem insistent on signing a replacement, when Dele returns in the Summer it will likely just add to our already bloated squad?

Only logical reason I can come up with is that Levy is boxing clever in the eventuality that Mourinho isn’t here come start of next season, and the incoming manager would want to use Dele...

You could argue the same applied to TND last season though and now look
Maybe Jose is trying shake the coke can and wait for Dele to explode like TND did

PSG seems to have a lot of interest in him both before Poch got there and now with him there.

It seems like a great time to take advantage of that and try to squeeze anything we can out of them with a sale. I am not sure we will get much when he goes to PSG and then fails there. Its a much harder sell to trick people into thinking it is a Jose thing than a Dele thing when he can't do it somewhere else.

Hopefully, Poch, Mbappe and Neymar can prop him up enough to fool others into thinking he has value, but enough to fool Levy and co. that we should bring him back as a key piece.

I think Levy cannot relinquish his belief that Dele is an £80m-£100m player. The thought of cashing in for half that amount must traumatise him.

Interesting about the Dele rumors, this is what Jose said today...

What's the situation with Dele Alli and do you expect him to still be at the club when the window closes?

I expect (him to be here) and I am saying that since the beginning of the window. I was not expecting anyone to leave or expecting anyone to come. We are almost at the end of the window. I don’t believe that anything will happen but it is open still.

So there's still a possibility?

Football is football and the transfer window is open and sometimes unexpected things can happen but I don’t expect it.

You could argue the same applied to TND last season though and now look
Maybe Jose is trying shake the coke can and wait for Dele to explode like TND did
That is probably part of it, that Levy is hoping that Jose and Dele will find each other again.

But there is also probably a bit of what Five is hinting at, that Levy wants to get as much as possible for him on a transfer. So he is hoping that by him going on a straight loan and hopefully doing well his value will rise and we may even get a bidding war.

It's simple - money

Right now with Covid taking about 3 billion out of Europe's top clubs Dele's price is very low - so low that with a contract until 2024 we could afford to keep him on the bench for another 18 months and, assuming Covid has passed, almost certainly get more for him in 2022, and who knows he may do an Ndombele.

If PSG were to agree 100m then I'm sure an 'option-to-buy' would be considered, but they won't.

So for Spurs it's pretty simple - PSG loan goes well Dele's price goes up, PSG loan goes badly Dele's price, post Covid, probably still goes up, Dele stays at Spurs and again post Covid Dele's price goes up.

Fact is at 24 on 150k a week Dele is still relatively inexpensive for a player of his undoubted quality ... Levy knows that so why let him go on the cheap with the market at rock bottom?

Never say never because who knows what behind the scene deals are done ... but it seems unlikely that it will be anything other than a straight loan, if indeed it happens at all.

or that a successful loan will increase his value and attract other clubs

Interesting about the Dele rumors, this is what Jose said today...

What's the situation with Dele Alli and do you expect him to still be at the club when the window closes?

I expect (him to be here) and I am saying that since the beginning of the window. I was not expecting anyone to leave or expecting anyone to come. We are almost at the end of the window. I don’t believe that anything will happen but it is open still.

So there's still a possibility?

Football is football and the transfer window is open and sometimes unexpected things can happen but I don’t expect it.

Well, that's cleared that up!

Back
Top Bottom