January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yup - contract until 2023 - like a lot of Chelsea youngsters he must be worried about getting playing time under Tuchel, my guess is Ampadu, Mount, Hudson Odi, James even Abraham will all be thinking long and hard about what they do come the summer.

No guarantee they get playing time with us but it's an easy move across town.
The one kid I want from Chelsea is Gilmour. Kid has potential to be real top quality imo

Fucking hell. The Jose "era" has been wonderful for the youth. So much deadwood built up under Poch, and now they're quickly being cleared out, and the promising ones are getting a chance to show what they've got.

Fucking hell. The Jose "era" has been wonderful for the youth. So much deadwood built up under Poch, and now they're quickly being cleared out, and the promising ones are getting a chance to show what they've got.
Poch did a lot of good for us but his handling of the youth was not one of them.

We can only really class Winks as the only one that made it from the academy to bonafide first team regular under him.

Kane and his class were already involved with the first team. And Skipp, KWP, CCV and others never really played with much regularity.

Poch did a lot of good for us but his handling of the youth was not one of them.

We can only really class Winks as the only one that made it from the academy to bonafide first team regular under him.

Kane and his class were already involved with the first team. And Skipp, KWP, CCV and others never really played with much regularity.

Agreed.

He gave plenty of our academy graduates game time and debuts (Mason, Bentaleb, Skipp, KWP, Winks, Kane, Carter-Vickers, Edwards, Onomah) but he hindered alot of their development by keeping them training with the first team and not getting important mens level competitive games they needed at their ages (KWP, Onomah and CCV mostly).

Agreed.

He gave plenty of our academy graduates game time and debuts (Mason, Bentaleb, Skipp, KWP, Winks, Kane, Carter-Vickers, Edwards, Onomah) but he hindered alot of their development by keeping them training with the first team and not getting important mens level competitive games they needed at their ages (KWP, Onomah and CCV mostly).
CCV still has managed to get about a 100 Championship games or there about. But non of his loans have felt that well planned to be honest.

Agreed.

Seems like it at least partly a fallout of him establishing his new regime, rather than a clearheaded explicit policy on youth development.

if I remember it right, in Poch's first season there was a big divide between Adebayor and a few others and Kane, Mason (Rose?) and a few others over lack of effort/professionalism.

Poch backed the young Kane and Mason over the seniors. Which led to a big clearout, and created the conditions for Poch and academy boys to back each other.

CCV still has managed to get about a 100 Championship games or there about. But non of his loans have felt that well planned to be honest.

Yeah but all a loan seemed to mean under Pochettino was that he didn't want you and felt you probably needed to move on.

I think our academy has managed to be successful in spite of Pochettino - as you say CCV has become a competent Championship defender. Walker-Peters plays for a mid table Premier League club that may sneak a European spot. Onomah also plays in the Premier League. Townsend is still in the Premier League etc.

People like Kane are a rarity in football.

Gilmour is class

I was astonished by his control movement and passing. Wonderful talent.
Football brain is right up there, would bet on him getting to the world class bracket.

In about 5 years if he stays injury free and develops, the biggest clubs will be falling over themselves to sign him IMO.

Attitude seems top drawer, know a few from football that have been over at Rangers academy for a long time and I became aware of him quite early. First team training at 15 and one of the best players there by all accounts.

Yeah but all a loan seemed to mean under Pochettino was that he didn't want you and felt you probably needed to move on.

I think our academy has managed to be successful in spite of Pochettino - as you say CCV has become a competent Championship defender. Walker-Peters plays for a mid table Premier League club that may sneak a European spot. Onomah also plays in the Premier League. Townsend is still in the Premier League etc.

People like Kane are a rarity in football.
Oh yeah, a loan under Poch was usually an indicator that the player had fallen out of favour with him or wasn't valued.

With Brexit making it somewhat harder to buy foreign players the academy will become much more important. Both for developing players for your own team and as a way to make money.

Imagine being able to sell 3-4 academy products each summer for maybe 5-10 mil each. That's decent change to use on an incoming. Or just having more academy trained players in your first team.

I think Southampton has a vision of having 50% of their match squad be academy trained or something like that.

IMO CCV was unlucky.

He seemed to be a Poch favourite but after being out muscled v Wycombe aged 18 - something Alderweireld/Sanchez found a problem with a week ago, and Poch would probably have found difficulty in handling a 16 stone striker in his heyday, before being loaned out because Poch had awarded him a 5 year contract so had to do something with him.

I suspect that if Poch had decided the 16 stone Wycombe forward test wouldn't be repeated and had kept coaching CCV inhouse CCV would have become a squad player...... and maybe no worse than Sanchez but saving circa £40m

Back
Top Bottom